Fly Tying
Moshup

Hackle Pliers !!!

Sorry I'm sure this subject has been covered to death but I was wondering what the forum members here liked using for hackle pliers. I see rotational ones advertised and was wondering if they were better than the old standbys . Any recommendations ? Thanks.

Ditto with SilverCreek and Kimo...I got a pair of those from J Stockard when they had a promotion special. Excellent hackle pliers I think...To bad I didn't think of that simple design!

Charlie Craven swears by the TyFlz, so I bought one. I rarely use it. It's OK, but not "better" than other designs.

Most of the time, I use a pair of extended, flat jaw English style hackle pliers. The long flat jaws allow me to grasp the hackle stem in line, reducing breakage. (Similar to these: http://www.jannsnetcraft.com/hackle-pliers/042042900009.aspx )

Rotary hackle pliers are fine for tying parachutes, but otherwise, they are clunky, cumbersome and impractical.

I use the flat spring steel, so called "Tear Drop" hackle pliers, both inexpensive and light weight. I bought mine decades ago in a local shop, these days Bass Pro sells them I know ( at least online they do) for $3.99. I tried three times to load an image here of them and all three from two different browsers a message popped up saying I couldn't use that image extension here.

I've tried lots of different hackle pliers over the years and frankly most of them sucked. They either slip or break the hackle. They are often either too heavy or too light. The TyFlz is one of the best I've used. Electronics test clips, like the ones Norm posted are handy for lots of things besides wrapping hackle. Rotary hackle pliers could be useful, but IMNSHO they suffer from the same design flaws as most non-rotary hackle pliers.

My rankings:

1. Fingers (if the stem is long enough)

2. TyFlz

3. Test clip