Fly Tying
Moshup

Hackle Pliers !!!

As a long time fly tyer, I have acquired many hackle pliers over the years. I have a couple

of favorites for specific jobs. Most of my delicate work (like wrapping soft hackles) I use

my teardrop pliers. Mine grip the feather well and are light enough as to not stress a

brittle hackle stem very much. I did have to buy and try a few of these until I found a

plier that worked well for me.

I also use the English style especially when I want to use a dubbing spinning loop on the

fly - these have enough weight to allow the pliers to be spun when the loop is loaded with

dubbing. These are also excellent for holding a thread tag should the tying thread break

while tying the fly.

The others I occasionally use are the electronic test clip and my fingers - especially when

wrapping hackles on parachute posts.

Years ago I found a tip for the old style English pliers.

Take some shrink tubing and apply it to only one side,,, this makes a cushion for holding the fibers and also helps prevent breaking away under tension.

Agree the electrical clips are fine for some applications and I will be ordering the Tyflyz Toolz pliers for another tool added to the extensive box of experimental ideas.

Regards,

FK

I use my fingers mostly.

When not using my fingers i use the english style.

They are the type i used when learning to tie and usually closest to my vise.They work great.

Also have this type shown below.

Used them a couple times.The rotating head is nice but the other pair is always laying on the bench so i never think to grab this one.They were handy and worked good the few times i used them.

s-l225.jpg

I also have this type shown below.They are pretty useless.Can't keep the hackle from slipping.

lg_401706_1.jpg

I have those hackle pliers, work very well for me but still have some of the same issues as other pliers. I mostly used the electrical testers and rotary style when tying parachutes. I'm wouldn't say anything negative about them but I really don't see any difference between them and the other styles I use but that is just my opinion.

Rodney

I prefer the rotary type for winding parachute hackle. But, check them out before buying as the quality can vary; you want very smooth action. Tiemco and Griffin seem superior to some of the generics.

thanks, Bob H

I know I'm morphing this thread but need to get hold of our friend SilverCreek and cannot message him. Silver, is you box full? Had problem with someone else and they could message me and then I could respond. Can you PM me.

Thanx, Nick

I own or have tried virtually every type and style of hackle pliers on the market. The best pliers, without a doubt are by C & F. You're going to pay for them, but they are worth it.

Guess I'm going to have to look into a pair of TYFLE hackle pliers, I found the test clips Tyer was talking about good price 10 for $ .99 my only problem with them is they are made in China, Japan, anywhere but the USA call me nuts but I'm tired of sending my money over seas .

... made in China, Japan, anywhere but the USA call me nuts but I'm tired of sending my money over seas .

Sorry to break this to you, my friend. But you're going to have to stop buying anything, just about.

You can buy water ... but the bottle might be made in China.

You can buy food ..... but America imports many, many food items already.

Nope, might as well buy those clips.

I rarely use hackle pliers for hackle. I tend to use my hands for dry fly hackle, both standard and parachutes. I like the rotary hackle pliers for soft hackle wrapping, both partridge and other feathers like India hen. I like the old plunger style flytire posted for wrapping short pieces of material I tend to lose my grip on, mainly pheasant tail fibers.

Charlie Craven swears by the TyFlz, so I bought one. I rarely use it. It's OK, but not "better" than other designs.

Most of the time, I use a pair of extended, flat jaw English style hackle pliers. The long flat jaws allow me to grasp the hackle stem in line, reducing breakage. (Similar to these: http://www.jannsnetcraft.com/hackle-pliers/042042900009.aspx )

Rotary hackle pliers are fine for tying parachutes, but otherwise, they are clunky, cumbersome and impractical.

I picked up the TyFlz, when I read in Charlie Craven's fly tying book, that he liked them.I really like them when I'm tying with biots.

Guess I'm going to have to look into a pair of TYFLE hackle pliers, I found the test clips Tyer was talking about good price 10 for $ .99 my only problem with them is they are made in China, Japan, anywhere but the USA call me nuts but I'm tired of sending my money over seas .

The ones that Norm posted a pic of are not very good at all. I bought a pair of them at Radio Shack around 15 years ago after reading a thread like this on another forum. They just don't have a strong enough spring to really hold the hackle stem and keep it from slipping. If you have to go that route try these. They are more expensive, but are made in the US, and the place has been selling them for many years.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/fly-tying-tools-E-Z-MINI-HOOK-hackle-pliers-MADE-IN-THE-USA-COMBINE-SHIPPING-/370888884440?_trksid=p2352135.m2548.l4275

I have a bunch of different types, but use the TyFlz mostly since they work very well.

Regards,

Mark