Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Dave G.

Rod choice for the catskills

Curious, what would be your preference of rod weights and lengths for a weekend in the catskills. We know no specifics yet, though we are staying outside of Cairo because of the proximity for a wedding. We have to attend the wedding on Sat later afternoon /evening but Friday through Sunday otherwise. The cabin we are have is on some good sized creek that stretches from the NW of where we are at right past the cabin we are staying in, and continues south. I'm limiting this to two rods each for my wife and I and would rather take one each all rounder. Plus, I know Aug is a tough month and it's been hot, though they have had rain out that way. It could end up a sight seeing trip and go back another time for real fishing.

7ft 3/4 wt

7'6" 4 wt

8'6" 5 wt

9' 5 wt

8'6" 6 wt

9' 6 wt

9'6' 7wt

I'd go 7'-6" #4wt line. I have longer and heavier wt rods but this seems to be the best suited in the Catskill Rivers, especially in the summer. However, if fishing the Delaware system, I'd go with a #5-6 line and longer rod, say 8' or more

Thanks guys !

Hmmm, thought of bass fishing conjures up thoughts about taking the canoe.

Incidentally we will be in Prattsville/Windham/Cairo and Schoharie Creek is there and Catskill Creek, someplace is 10 Mile Creek, a reservoir etc etc. We will be on the NE side of the Catskills not the south I guess.

They booked us up with events for this wedding and where we were staying had mighty low water and was a 30 mile travel back and forth to the event site ( my wife booked it), I know that road pretty well now LOL ! I saw some minnows swimming around when we did go scouting though. No prime time to fish but we did get a lay of the land so to speak. We will probably go back there. I learned there are two Battenkill rivers, never really thought about the Vermont Battenkill winding through NY east of the Hudson. But we weren't near either one anyway.

We were up on Schoharie Creek and met a local guy there who said you can forget the fly rod, you can fish with it all day and wear yourself out, just get a Blue Fox spinner. He said the trout go nuts for them, says he has fished all along that creek and that's what works. So I never said a word but my mind immediately went to what patterns could I tie that has that flash and coloring ! Might have to dream up a streamer pattern or something if we do go back. Silver, blue, a touch of gold, maybe a spin off of a Muddler ? I say that because I hear lighter colored Muddlers do work up that way.

Looking up the reports from the south side of the mountains over by the Battenkill ( that was way out of our way for this trip) and those west brand rivers etc over that way, it sounds like they are hitting terrestrials and have a bit more water averaging 64 deg f, better than up north or what I saw up north anyway. And that report was as of the 20th right when we were out there.