Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Trampus

SA Wet Tip Express

OK...didn't want to hijack a thread on sinking lines so here goes with a new inquiry. I am looking to fish streamers my next trip to the Sierra Nevada's in the fall (in small western rivers and alpine lakes). I will be walking/wading and not using a float tube. I plan on using a 7wt rod and throwing wooly buggers, matukas, baby brook trout etc. and was looking at the SA Wet Tip Express Mastery series. Anyone have any experience with this line or any of the Wet Tip Lines?

Nearly 20 years ago I had the SA Mastery line and sink tip as well. My son also had the sink tip. It was some of the best casting line we ever had but the 3m coating they were using at the time broke down within one season and cracked, by the second season it was peeling. I have to assume they have corrected that by now or they wouldn't still be in business. But that sink tip line was much like casting a floating line, very little perceptible hinge effect.

That said, I don't do much with sink tip these days.

Try getting a versa leader and Judy adding that to your floating line, works great and if you want to switch to floating you just swap leaders

I use a Rio sink tip 250 grain? in the salt. I am using a 9 ft rod 8 wt rod. It has a floating running line. I like it a lot and it casts great.

It should cast with a 7 wt rod i would think.

They used to make it in 150 grain but no longer made.

Chuck

Personally I've replaced my sinktip trout lines with slow or fast intermediate lines. I find in running water mends can allow the line to run faster or slower than the current and cast well as they will generally be thinner than the floating portion of a sinktip line.

I do still use sinktips with my Spey rod but this is normally when I'm using heavier flies and want the mass that Skagit or shooting heads can give to lift my fly.

All good suggestions here. I have a SA Wet Tip line that I've used occasionally over several years and it has always served well. I believe the newer ones have shorter heads than the old one.

In many ways the suggestions of just using a Rio Versileader or a Airflo Polyleader is a good one because then you could carry several sink rates, including just a floating line, and cover a wide ran range of conditions. I'd for example want a extra fast sink, a medium, and an intermediate to cover all eventualities.

I'm curious where in the Sierra do you think you'll need a 7wt? That is a lot of rod for most of the fisheries up there, even when throwing streamers.

All good suggestions here. I have a SA Wet Tip line that I've used occasionally over several years and it has always served well. I believe the newer ones have shorter heads than the old one.

In many ways the suggestions of just using a Rio Versileader or a Airflo Polyleader is a good one because then you could carry several sink rates, including just a floating line, and cover a wide ran range of conditions. I'd for example want a extra fast sink, a medium, and an intermediate to cover all eventualities.

I'm curious where in the Sierra do you think you'll need a 7wt? That is a lot of rod for most of the fisheries up there, even when throwing streamers.

I went with the Versileader for the same reasons you listed above and think it's the best option for where I fish. I will use the 7wt in the Owens River this fall when the big Browns and Cutties come up out of Crowley and I need a little more backbone.