Fly Tying
josephcsylvia

casting distance?

Ok so I know this is different for everyone and not trying to start a pissing contest lol. but i was in my yard and casting today and I could not cast past this little tree, no matter what rod I was using. I marked the tree with my range finder at 27 yards or 81'. when talking casting distance would it be from were im standing or from the tip of the rod? and what can I do to get a little more distance,

combos I tried 7'6 extreme fast 9wt with 9 wt rio out short.

same rod with full head 10wt, no difference in distance but cast got ugly.

9' 9 wt mod fast with rio short (terrible combo)

9'9wt with 10wt line

Double hauling already?

yes, though I have to admit im not sure how effective my haul is. i feel like Im putting to much speed into the start of the haul and not the end, and I have no ide how to reverse that lol

Ok so I know this is different for everyone and not trying to start a pissing contest lol. but i was in my yard and casting today and I could not cast past this little tree, no matter what rod I was using. I marked the tree with my range finder at 27 yards or 81'. when talking casting distance would it be from were im standing or from the tip of the rod? and what can I do to get a little more distance,

9'9wt with 10wt line

Ok. I cannot, nor can anyone else, provide you with accurate instruction without seeing you cast. My favorite answer is to refer you to the ultimate casting tome, in my opinion, and I have read most, "The Cast" by Ed Jaworowski, with collaboration with Lefty Kreh. I was a fine caster for many years, but after reading, and then studying the fine explanations and sequential time-lapse photographs, explaining the reasons casts work or don't work, I improved my casting from good to expert. Please consider obtaining this book and studying it. There are more pictures than words, and the words are concise.

I used to be able to cast to the backing with a couple of different rods, mostly 6 wts. No more. I did it with a deep double haul on one particular rod and just a bump of a double haul on another. And when I say double haul, I mean a bump on the back cast and the forward and let completely go of the line with the left hand on final cast. I don't have that kind of ambition any more, frig the fish out there, get me a canoe or drift boat and I'll go get em.. A suggestion though, don't alter your main cast , put the extra energy into the haul with bending the rod into a deeper load with the left hand. If you do alter the main path , make it longer with a push in the shoulders, don't start arching the cast over a hump so to speak..

Ill see if I can put up a video tomorrow. I dont feel like my haul is as efficient as it can be and fishing the Florida salt I need the line speed more than the distance, though it seems like the fish are always rolling or tailing just out of range lol. Im not upset at my distance, I just know I can squeeze a few more feet put. Im really surprised that changing equipment around made little to no difference though.

No expert here, but this is what I do when trying for distance. Instead of facing the target and stopping a 10 and 1 or what ever. I stand more sideways to the target so I can watch my backcast. Since I can now watch my backcast, I can more perfectly time the forward cast.

I also use a more exagerated casting stroke, especially on the backcast. Standing sideways also allows me to reach out on the backcast. Energy = Force x Distance. Because my casting stroke is longer, it therefore is putting more energy into the line. Try not to muscle the cast. It's far more about timing and technic.

To me that says that something in your technique is cushioning a lot of the energy in the cast.

But the video will tell a lot more than my blind guess.

Try to take it from the left side to see the hauling well.

81 feet is a tremendous cast. We had this discussion on another thread where someone asked how far people can cast. You're right, in that it turned into an argument from people saying distance was useless, etc. and that no one fished farther than about 30 feet out ... blah, blah, blah.

I measured from my driveway to a stop sign on the corner of my yard. I can cast to it, barely, and it's almost exactly 75 feet. I thought I was only casting 60 feet, but after measuring it, I was quite proud of myself.

81' ... thanks, Joseph ... for making me feel inadequate with my 75' casts. tongue.png

Of course, if you REALLY want distance, learn how to Spey cast.

Also remember that your line profile will make a huge difference.

I've found recently as well, moving back to a very middle actioned fly rod that I hated I can actually cast the whole line with a favourable wind and it is a lot less effort than with my tip actioned rod. Still requires a double haul but I'm coming round to loving that rod now.

9'9wt with 10wt line

What are you aiming for the other bank side ? lol :)

Mike, lol when I fish freshwater I bet most of my casts are in the 50' range just because I dont need the distance, but fishing the salt it seems like your always just a bit short.

Piker, I want to experiment with tapers for that reason.

Retro, yes. Only the other bank for me is Mexico lol

On the taper point, I have an orvis line that was sold as a 'salt water' taper. From what I can tell it is similar to a rocket taper or a bass taper and it does punch into wind with less effort than my cortland 444 for example. BUT when I'm hauling and or looking for outright distance with some effort going in it is sometimes worse.

I believe that for distance you need to have a balanced mass over a longer head. Look at Spey lines compared to shooting heads or Skagit lines. The world records are still set with a line that is closer to a full Spey than a SH. But your timing has to be spot on and there is a lot more effort at the rod end.