Fly Tying
josephcsylvia

casting distance?

Yeah, in the final part when you are looking more to the back cast and trees behind, the line drops too far before the forward part of the cast starts so you've lost that speed you created in the load and lift haul.

It also snagged the branches if you notice so that's going to give you a false impression.

Its easy to say and so hard to do but really don't try to force it. Haul to increase speed on lift and launch and let that speed bend the blank and let the rod do it. You're a big fella and once you start adding shoulder or pushing it it all goes against you.

See if you can stop the backcast just a little more abruptly to let the rod launch that line just a little faster and keep it of the ground.

Also on watching the video I see you dropping the rod tip to dead level which makes the line go where you are pointing the rod. Try keeping it just a hair above like your aiming at a target much farther out. Same with a rifle, to hit a target farther away you raise the barrel. But as Mike said 80 feet is still good if your accuracy is there too. Let us know how it goes.

Thanks guys, Bimini ill try that.

Salty. Yes thats a hard habit to break lol but it makes sense. At 80' I can cast in a general area. Say 10'circle not nearly as accurate as id like. I am much more accurate around 50/60' for now anyway

You are doing most of the things mentioned in this video. Not terrible, but just enough off to hamper your distance. Do what this guys says plus get the kinks out of your fly line in the part that seldom sees daylight.

thats a great video!

What's the best way to get the kinks out of my line, its a tropical core as water temps here are 90°

I use a large nail in the garden and tie some 40lb mono to fly line with a swivel in it and loop that to nail and walk it out and stretch and hold it. Or take a nail with you and do same with a tree or fence at fishing location. The swivel helps remove any twists.

I had a quik look at the video the other day & it all looked up the s#!t! Your rod is going to fare down on forward stroke & final cast! On final cast, stop the rod higher & remember to STOP THE ROD! Also when you draw the line double hawling, make sure you draw it straight with were you stop the rod & close to your body! Rip that thing too! Also read not long ago in a salt book, after final draw, put your finger & thumb together like another guide! Easier said then done! I used to play in the livingroom in winter with the bottom piece of rod with reel atached & alastic bands atached to the stripping guide! Just to get the feeling of the DRAW DRAW DRAW!