Fly Tying
josephcsylvia

casting distance?

I had a quik look at the video the other day & it all looked up the s#!t! Your rod is going to fare down on forward stroke & final cast! On final cast, stop the rod higher & remember to STOP THE ROD! Also when you draw the line double hawling, make sure you draw it straight with were you stop the rod & close to your body! Rip that thing too! Also read not long ago in a salt book, after final draw, put your finger & thumb together like another guide! Easier said then done! I used to play in the livingroom in winter with the bottom piece of rod with reel atached & alastic bands atached to the stripping guide! Just to get the feeling of the DRAW DRAW DRAW!

thanks Adam. Yes the guide with the fingers is very tough lol. Ive been working on stopping the rod. Ill make a new video in a week or two and see if I gain a few extra feet.

Good point about stretching the line. Braided mono cores have a lot of memory. Out on the water before I start casting, I always grab a few feet of line between my hands and stretch it to eliminate the coils. Continue doing it until you have stretched the length that you think you will shoot.

The Rio Outbound Short is too heavy a line to use with a moderate or moderate-fast action rod of the same weight designation. I use a 10 weight Outbound Short intermediate on my 10 weight Sage RPLX rod and it works pretty well but the RPLX is a fast or very fast action rod that needs to be over-lined to load properly. The grain weight of my Outbound Short is 425 grains, which is the equivalent of a 12 or 13 weight standard line. For a moderate action 9 weight rod you should probably stick with a standard 9 weight line (or under-line with a Rio Outbound Short -- 7 or 8 weight perhaps, depending on how much flex your particular rod has.) The other thing about the Outbound Short is that it casts like a shooting head so you should only have a few feet of running line outside of the rod tip when you make your cast. If you have more than a few feet of running line outside the rod tip it will totally mess up your cast. I find the Outbound Short useful for punching casts into the wind and it seems like we have a lot of windy days where I fish in coastal New England. But I think you need to be careful about matching the weight of the line with the flex / action of your rod. (I wonder if the the whole line weight designation thing should be dropped and if rod manufacturers should just specify the range of grain weights that a rod is built to handle.)