Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Bryon Anderson

Another fly line bargain

Cabelas "Bargain Cave" strikes again. The $25 SA Sharkwave lines are gone (alas -- got mine last week and fished it for the first time this week, and loved it). However, they now have a couple different versions of their store-brand "Prestige" lines--including a Type III and a Type VI sink-tip-- for $7.88. I picked up the type III sinker for my 6 wt. -- after applying my "points" from my Cabelas Visa card, I ended up paying $2.70 and had it shipped to my local retail store for free. Hard to beat that. :)

The reel I have on my 6 wt. was a China-direct eBay purchase -- $30 for the reel, another $11.50 for the spare spool I ordered today. All together I have a decent reel, extra spool and two good quality lines for under $75. Even my wife was impressed with my bargain-hunting. smile.png

I waked into their store on the Delaware border and their sales in store had 10x the discounted selection. I think my SA full sink line was just short of $20.

I saw that sale at the bargain cave, they didn't have sinking lines in 7wt though.

Also, they had spare prestige spools but not the reels. Argh. Finally, looks like they started using Lamson for some of their private label offerings in their 3-pack reel/spool options. Atleast that's what it looked like from what I could get from the pictures.

I saw that sale at the bargain cave, they didn't have sinking lines in 7wt though.

I wanted the 7 wt. too, as that's my preferred big streamer rod, but they were sold out as you say. The 6 will get the job done, just with a little more "oomph" on my part. :)

Thanks for the heads up...I don't have a Cabela's in California so I have to pay shipping but it was still a bargain. I picked up a 2wt Double Taper Floating line that has a 10' head and is 1/2 size uprated in weight. Should load and cast really well with my 6'6" 2wt I just finished building last week. I fish small water most of the time and should be able to shoot the line wherever I want it with this little setup smile.png

Those lines were on sale for the same price back when the Shark Wave thread started. I picked up type III in 7 wt for $7.88 and also got a Teeny T-200 they were selling for $14.88.

I think I've said this before--not on this thread, though, so I'll repeat it here--I am not affiliated in any way with Cabelas or any other retailer. I just like passing along news of a bargain when I come across one.

I think I've said this before--not on this thread, though, so I'll repeat it here--I am not affiliated in any way with Cabelas or any other retailer. I just like passing along news of a bargain when I come across one.

Cabelas buy-out has me concerned.

I've heard, through different rumor mills, that Cabela's ...

1) Is being bought by Bass Pro Shops.

2) Has already been bought by Bass Pro Shops.

3) ISN'T selling to anybody.

At this point ... I neither know, nor care. Bass Pro Shop has always been less expensive on most items, so I am okay with them being there.

I've heard, through different rumor mills, that Cabela's ...

1) Is being bought by Bass Pro Shops.

2) Has already been bought by Bass Pro Shops.

3) ISN'T selling to anybody.

At this point ... I neither know, nor care. Bass Pro Shop has always been less expensive on most items, so I am okay with them being there.

Ditto. I've bought lots of BPs store brand gear myself and it has always been of good quality and, as Mike said, significantly less expensive than Cabela's

I read a news article which said in plain language that BPS was in the process of buying Cabela's. I'm also in no way connected to either of them. I've shopped with both for a LONG time, and my impression has always been that when Cabela's puts their name on something, it is damn good stuff. I have Cabela's rods, reels, lines, rain gear, footwear, terminal tackle, hunting accessories, etc. BPS gear is usually less expensive, and in my experience, CHEAPER. I can only back up my opinions with anecdotal evidence, which isn't worth crap. I live within about 20 minutes of the BPS in Harrisburg and I shop there a lot. Also less than an hour away is the Cabela's flagship store in Hamburg. The two businesses ALMOST appeal to different crowds.... like WalMart and Target. Hard to explain but you know it when you see it. When I need functional clothing or durable equipment, I look to Cabela's first. Fly materials and lures and stuff, BPS is just up the road. Brand name stuff, it doesn't matter. BPS gives a 365 day discount to active and retired Military members too which is awesome. Cabela's only gives it on certain days. I think they really miss the boat on that one.