Fly Tying
Saltybum

Broken tip repair

I hope at least one person appreciates the fact that I stayed out of this one. But then again maybe I'm blocked by everyone and nobody will read this except me.

I haven't blocked anyone. And so far I take nothing personally within most any forum anyway. I guess some folks do and drop out all together, that's too bad.

Guess I've been told! Apology already submitted

les

Only those who felt "insulted" or "offended" are going to accept the apology.

Most of us didn't feel either, and the apology is not needed.

I'm absolutely not insulted or offended.

Having perused this tread finally, I think opinions vary as to whether the agreement by T and T service to return the tip created a "contract" on their to return the tip. Certainly, the normal course of events for T and T is to destroy the old tip since that is what they did. The agreement in my view was not a contract but it certainly was an expectation - an expectation that was not met. So lets call it what it was - a foul up on the part of T & T.

So I do believe the right thing for T and T to do was some form of compensation for not fulfilling the expectation. I don't believe they owe a second new tip since that is of greater value than the broken tip. They tried to compensate with a shirt and cap but that was not acceptable to the customer. I would have initially offered a discount on the replacement tip if I was T & T, or I would have asked for a discount on the replacement tip if I was the consumer.

The second part of my reply is that by initially refusing to acknowledge their screw up, T & T made matters worse by aggravating the situation. What could have been more easily handled with one phone call and an apology, now has escalated to a test of wills which required more time and effort on the part of the customer. Whereas, the employees are getting paid to reply to the customer, the customer is spending his own time to try to get what he feels is a fair shake. So what is this aggravation of the customer worth? It seems the taking this to the owner of T & T has solved the issue. I am not surprised.

The reason I am writing is that one of my best friends, Jm Greenlee, was a CEO who gave postgraduate lectures at CEO conferences at the Harvard Business School. I have 3 stories about Jim Greenlee and what he did when a company did not meet his expectations as a customer. As a CEO, Jim knew that CEOs rarely if ever interact with customers and they love hearing from them, even if it is bad news. CEOs are surrounded by employees who want to prevent bad news from reaching them. Jim also know how to get to get to the CEOs directly.

So the first story is when Jim prepaid in cash for a GMC Motorhome in 1976 which was to be delivered in 3 months. He paid about what my first home cost - just about 30K. The 3 months dragged on to 6 and then to 9 months with a bunch of lies from the president of the Oldsmobile dealer in Milwaukee. Finally he called up Roger Smith who was the CEO of GM. He asked him whether he wanted to here from a dissatisfied customer and Roger Smith said he was glad to hear from any GM customer. So he told Roger the story and Roger told him that the VP who was the head of the Oldsmobile division would call him.

The VP then told Jim to call the dealer and for the dealer to have a driver at the GM Motorhome Factory in Flint, Mi on the following Monday so the motorhome could be driven back and delivered to Jim. The VP told him that if he had any trouble to call his personal phone number. The president of the Oldsmobile dealership told Jim that he could not get a driver to Flint by the next Monday, so Jim called the head of Oldsmobile back. The head of Oldsmobile then called the owner of the dealership and told him that if there was not driver on Monday, the owner would not have an Oldsmobile dealership on Tuesday. So the dealer was in a world of hurt because he was now on the sh*t list of the Head of Oldsmobile.

The second story is that on the first trip to Yellowstone Park with his motorhome, 3 of the 6 Firestone tires on the motorhome blew out and the motorhome got towed to the Firestone dealership in Sheridan, Wy. Jim called the president of Firestone who then agreed to upgrade and replace all 6 tires and the spare. Firestone air shipped 7 tires, paid for the repair, gave jim a coupon for 6 more tires. Jim also sent a “bill” to Firestone for $500 for “aggravation” which Firestone paid.

The third story is when the United Airlines feeder airline company cancelled his evening flight from O’Hare in Chicago to Wausau, Wi. and there were no more flights. He called the connector airline’s presidents office and the president was still in his office at 7 pm and answered his phone. Jim told him what happened and the president of the airlines was a pilot and flew Jim to Wausau in his private plane.

Jim has often told me that the problem is that the workers who interact with the customers do not have the authority, or if they do, are hesitant to spend company funds to make things right. So if those who have the authority, do not satisfy you, call the president. Letters get intercepted and often never get to the president.

I am not surprised that the president of T & T did what he did.

Wow....there is soooo much here, I just don't know what to even say. Didnt read every post, or page, theres a lot lol... let me say a think or two though as someone in the industry.

One thing, when it comes to broken tips....most companies offer factory warranties. If its not a defect from the factory then it falls on the builder. (custom builder). In this case, if its a factory rod and a break, then its warranty on the customer. In this case the "NORMAL" deal is the rod is destroyed. Reason why is because the manufacture does not want the shorter/repaired section out in circulation. Understandable IMO. But as was stated in this case, the customer requested the rod back. As a custom builder I have done that numerous times, and I always get it back and not destroyed. So...IMO in this case, sounds like there was simply a case of miscommunication is all. They screwd up. Then it goes to how much do they make up for it. They offered shirts and what not, ehhhh. Offer swag, and a appology, but admit you screwed up and dropped the ball because the owner asked for it back and you agreed to that.

Simple as that IMO.

The second part of my reply is that by initially refusing to acknowledge their screw up, T & T made matters worse by aggravating the situation.

First post:

"Got the rod back but not the old tip. They admitted their mistake..."

Go ahead Cold...kick the hornets nest one more time! I'm sick of this childish pursuit to prove your right by picking apart other members opinions. Apparently the concept of "agree to disagree" is one you don't condone so I am going to take the only appropriate action left to me and remove this nonsense and aggravation from my life by blocking you.

Don't bother responding for my benefit because I will have already blocked you.

I find it ironic that forum software that is meant to bring people together around a common interest provides blocking capabilities so that we don't have to read each other.

I would rather ignore people's posts selectively.

Nice stories SilverCreek, but you must acknowledge that a call from one CEO to another CEO or industry leader is on an entirely different level than a call from Joe Blow customer. Even Joe Blow Doctor customer somebody. You can bet your ass that if I was in the same situation with a cancelled flight from O'hare and somehow managed to find the airline President's contact info, I would not have been provided with a personal flight. Get real. I had the distinct honor and privilege to command military units once upon a time, and even in my tiny, limited, nearly unknown position people paid much more attention than they do now that I'm "just" an everyday citizen. Perhaps a tackle company which sells extremely high-end equipment will listen... because it may be ASSumed that everyday folks can't afford their products. I don't know.

Anyway, I always enjoy reading your posts. I'm almost glad I can't afford the luxurious tackle... If I have a problem, and I very rarely do, with a Cabela's rod they make it right and I'm not out many hundreds of dollars in the mean time.

Any grammatical errors, misspellings, or momentary departures from logic are the effect of 3 (large, cheap) glasses of wine. Thanks for listening. I just don't have any beer in the fridge.

That's the whole point, Bimini. It's a great site, bringing people together around a common interest.

When one person seems determined to be a "bee in the bonnet" for others, they aren't "participating" in the common interest.

So, I don't need to read ANY of that person's comments anymore.

Nice stories SilverCreek, but you must acknowledge that a call from one CEO to another CEO or industry leader is on an entirely different level than a call from Joe Blow customer. Even Joe Blow Doctor customer somebody. You can bet your ass that if I was in the same situation with a cancelled flight from O'hare and somehow managed to find the airline President's contact info, I would not have been provided with a personal flight. Get real. I had the distinct honor and privilege to command military units once upon a time, and even in my tiny, limited, nearly unknown position people paid much more attention than they do now that I'm "just" an everyday citizen. Perhaps a tackle company which sells extremely high-end equipment will listen... because it may be ASSumed that everyday folks can't afford their products. I don't know.

I never asked Jim how he got the through to those CEO's. It is entirely possible or even probable that he knew someone,who knew someone, who knew someone, etc.

He did tell me that for the connector airline, he called the office of the president and he answered the phone because everyone had left for the day.

That's the whole point, Bimini. It's a great site, bringing people together around a common interest.

When one person seems determined to be a "bee in the bonnet" for others, they aren't "participating" in the common interest.

So, I don't need to read ANY of that person's comments anymore.

Not defending Cold or anyone else. Just saying that you will at some point miss totally worthy posts by someone that you blocked. Give people a chance, Mike. Give... people... a chance... :D

I for one gave him a chance.... but his continued lack of concern for other posters opinions and feelings far out weighed any positive contribution he might make, that I couldn't derive from another source. I for one am not willing to put up with endless grief on the hopes of a glimpse of something worthy...Thankfully the Admins have provided a solution :)