Fly Tying
add147

Who all has tied at fly tying shows / expos???

One other thing.
If you can manage it bring your own chair.
Sitting for more than a couple of hours in a folding
chair will put your okole to sleep.

Kimo

As another who has been tying at shows and demonstrating for more years than I care to recall I would second the advice given already about a small number of flies, making sure you have everything you need &c. I would add practice tying the patterns you intend to tie until you don't need to think about them. As has already been said, you are putting on a show. You can't put on a show is you are concentrating on tying a fly. It isn't easy to answer questions and keep tying at the same time.

If you want to tie an involved pattern like a mouse do some prep first. Have a mouse at each stage already. Then take each one on one stage. You will loose an audience if all you are doing is spinning bunch after bunch of deer hair. Spin a couple then say carry on like this until you reach this stage; then produce a fly tied up to that stage. Swap for the one in your vice and take that on a little. Keep doing this until you have the completed mouse. It would be much faster than doing the whole thing.

There is little appreciation amongst the general angling public about tying at a fair. It is often an expensive day or weekend, especially if you are travelling internationally. I have recently been paying out for flights fora show in November, and train tickets (almost as expensive)for another in October. Then Hotel fees, and all the other things. If I was to go to the Somerset Symposium I doubt I would have much change out of £2000. Tiers do not get this back. I really think that the public should know that the tiers are there at their own cost, and not being paid. I advocate every tier having a collecting box on their table. Every time they give someone a fly, they ask for a donation. The tiers collectively should nominate a charity for these donations.

What makes it all worth while for me though is the other tiers. Certainly those on the international circuit. What a great bunch of guys. I love meeting up with them at the various shows.

Cheers,

C.

I've been tying at shows for 5-6 years now. It's fun. Drop by and see me if you're in the Northeast at any of "The Fly Fishing Show" venues. A few tips for show tyers:

Prepare:

-Extension cord and power strip with your name on them

-Make a list, check it twice. Don't forget your vise and lamp... (it happens...)

-Bring example flies, even in a frame or on some sort of 3D display

-Drill a block of wood and insert test clips (Radio Shack or other electronics supplier) to hold completed flies up off the table - some folks use alligator clips on stiff wire mounted on blocks

-Some sort of holder for tools - you really can't leave them lying on the tying table - they roll off and get lost

-Business cards from Overnight Prints or Vista Print

-Business card holder ($4 at Staples)

-Small notebook and a pen

At the show:

-Be friendly - ask folks if they tie - tell them something interesting about the fly you are tying - ask them where they fish and with what flies...your interest in show guests gets rewarded with their attention to you ... and maybe a sale.

-Show them a tip they won't get in a book - anything from hand tied whip finish, to cobbler's wax, to thread control to tie in tails or whatever

-Brush your teeth and use mouthwash, and wash your hands, clip your nails, and use deodorant... just saying...

-Keep food off the table - nothing worse than ham and cheese and marabou sandwich

-Tell them to enjoy the show

-Little kids love peacock tail eye plumes ( like after you have harvested the herls ) - hand them out and their parents or grandparents will stay at your booth

-Take a break every few hours and enjoy the other tyers and vendors - just leave a card in your vise that you'll be right back.

-Tell the show manager how much you enjoyed tying, and leave him/her a few flies for fishing, or a presentation fly for framing.

-Relax and enjoy the show - YOU are the show.

post-4200-0-12913400-1471915235_thumb.png

I have tied at many shows and I would like to chime in.

I wear a neutral colored shirt, something that doesn't look too busy, so people can look at the fly and not get their vision distorted by my shirt. No tie dyes or colorful swirls, just saying, not that anyone would.

I like the idea of putting everything you need for a pattern in a zip lock bag. Nothing worse than waiting around for someone to eventually find something to tie a fly you are waiting to see.

Like the guys said above, bring the stuff they mentioned.

You don't have to be an expert, many of the folks at the tying shows tie. I always ask them "how do you do it?" when I'm demonstrating something. They may or may not have a different or better idea, but trust me this can get good conversation and involvement between tyers and spectators going.

I often tell the viewers, just because I'm sitting on this side of the table, doesn't mean I'm a better tyer than you, it just means I'm sitting on this side of the table. Being humble is a winner.

I often put those small cinnamon or butterscotch candies out in front of me. I have to bribe people to sit and watch me tie. With the expense you already have in volunteering for the day, this extra couple of bucks doesn't amount to much.

Thanks for the topic,

Bob

One or two additional thoughts I forgot to mention... bring a small camera with flash along with you... both to record your tying spot and other exhibits that catch your eye (and don't forget a professionally done sign with your name on it for your little place in the show or expo right next to a stack of your business cards...).

Lastly, if I were going to get back into doing shows I'd strongly consider one of those new elevated computer stations that allow anyone to stand while working that computer (or sit -your choice). I've always thought that having a tyer sitting while the audience is standing put you at a disadvantage and didn't allow folks to see what you were actually doing very well at all..... I'm also one of those that begin to really hurt if I'm sitting in a folding chair while tying all day long... (in my garage I work out of one of those backless Danish knee chairs - and I never have back pain (every other kind of pain if you're doing it for hours at a time - but that's another story....).

I use one of these to organize my materials for the flies I am going to tie.
I also add a label to the edge of each container. When I move to a different pattern
I just sweep everything into each individual container.
The downside is that some of the materials do not fit in the container such as
ostrich and turkey feathers.

Photo Storage

14386205.jpg

Kimo

Great advice above. I'd only add that I actually package a "material kit" for each fly I plan to tie. Usually just one or two patterns, also. All the materials, hooks, thread, etc... I will need for each pattern goes in a large zip-lock bag so I don't have to dig through anything to find what I need.

Having material kits when conducting a tying class is also a great idea and time saver. Instead of taking precious time walking around handing out materials to members of the class, prepare a bag with the materials for each fly in advance. If possible, have enough materials for the class member to tie 3 or more flies after the class later on their own time while everything is fresh in the memory and since not everyone is going to have complete fly materials shop at home.

Ya plan your flies have the materials for each fly including hooks.(don't ask) Store each fly in it's own bag. I use a large foam to display flies; its also handy to tie flies you need. I also use clothing that makes a good back drop for the fly.

Have fun,

ron

Hey guys, probably a dumb question but why do you tie at a show? Are you selling flies or just want to tie in front of others? Im going to my first show in Nov.

I guess some people tie at shows because they are truly altruistic, they just want people to take up the hobby of fly tying and sport of fly fishing.

Some do it for money,

Some are there to represent shops / retailers in the industry.

Some just do it for kudos smile.png

I guess some people tie at shows because they are truly altruistic, they just want people to take up the hobby of fly tying and sport of fly fishing.

Some do it for money,

Some are there to represent shops / retailers in the industry.

Some just do it for kudos smile.png

Awesome, thats what i was guessing. I am probably not tying at the one in Nov, but I do plan on spending some money!

I've only been to a couple of shows up near Chicago. Nobody tying at those shows was doing it out of the goodness of their hearts. At least not really. They were volunteers for clubs, or shops, or some other social or business venture. It's not like you can just set up and start tying. You have to purchase the space. If you're tying at a show, you're pushing some agenda, whether it's business, club or environmental issues.