Fly Tying
Mike West

Stacked Deer Hair Bass Swap..

Atleast the power, I can sit around and tie flies without cable lol. I suppose I can tie by lantern I just wont be sharing any photos of any I do!

Here are a few.....Sorry about the cell phone pics.

Photobucket is giving me a fit with this slow internet connection I have. Back in a bit. Some guys tied the same thing but in different colors and others tied 6 different patterns so I'm going to do the name in the hat thing so it's fair to everyone. One thing I learned is my stuff looks like doo doo compared to Crackleback. It was bothering so much I had to get him on the phone to talk about it. I'm going to try a couple of his suggestions tonight and see if it helps my Bass Bugs,

IMG_7775_zpsimjds6ke.jpg

IMG_7768_zpstczqrhmo.jpg

IMG_7765_zpstqckhlkn.jpg

IMG_7767_zpsxwqtpfkg.jpg

IMG_7766_zpsejnbawai.jpg

IMG_7764_zpsxdpslyez.jpg

IMG_7763_zpsjyhxv4kj.jpg

OK all divided up and ready to drop in the morning.

Thank you everyone..this was fun.

And once again to those of you that sent me some bonus flies....thank you very much!

I wanted the mouse Crackleback sent in real bad...it was great. Didn't work out for me...can't remember who got it it either.

I should have taken pictures of the ones that I didn't post already but oh well. You guys can post some stuff up when you get them.

Here are a few.....Sorry about the cell phone pics.

Photobucket is giving me a fit with this slow internet connection I have. Back in a bit. Some guys tied the same thing but in different colors and others tied 6 different patterns so I'm going to do the name in the hat thing so it's fair to everyone. One thing I learned is my stuff looks like doo doo compared to Crackleback. It was bothering so much I had to get him on the phone to talk about it. I'm going to try a couple of his suggestions tonight and see if it helps my Bass Bugs,

IMG_7775_zpsimjds6ke.jpg

IMG_7768_zpstczqrhmo.jpg

IMG_7765_zpstqckhlkn.jpg

IMG_7767_zpsxwqtpfkg.jpg

IMG_7766_zpsejnbawai.jpg

IMG_7764_zpsxdpslyez.jpg

IMG_7763_zpsjyhxv4kj.jpg

Just so everyone knows that last fly is upside down so fish it that way.

Kevin

Here is an example of the work Crackleback can do. A blue themed Emo and no way would I let a shark (or a bass) bite this. Strictly display.

DSC01313_zpspglo8gre.jpg

DSC01312_zpsuias5fju.jpg

DSC01311_zpsuiymmxal.jpg

Yeah I've seen that before. Yes he does some amazing deer hair work. I thought I tied pretty good tell I saw his stuff and a couple other guys. I just can't seem to get the density they do..Talked to him the other day on the phone briefly and I've been messing around with some of his suggestions but it's not there yet. About to sit down and try something else and see what happens. Been tying close to 50 years and Deer hair around 25. If I could could actually see how they obtain the density I know I could do it. Trial & Error right now..but that's how I learned in the first place.

He sent some stuff in like that...not that elaborate but top end stuff.

Edit: Oh yeah....You do some nice hair work also!..Edit again I had you confused with Vincent. I don't think I've seen your hair work.

You are right about the density of his hair being packed tighter than a man has a right to do it. This made just open the package Vicente sent me in trade for some tiny flies he doesnt like to tie and his work, like so many of you guys, is outstanding.Very tightly packed and great variety. I will shift a couple of these to the display rack but the diver I have to a try to and the swinging hook fly which is almost like a popper getting bit in the butt by a minnow. The way you guys get the color gradients always amazes me too. I did one swap with mouses and that was it for deer packing so far. They weren't too bad and I'm sure could catch a fish or two but even in the basic one color mice we traded several showed that extra ability with deer hair I sure don't have. Might mess with it some more in the future but right now I've got enough to do without starting a new path.

I got mine in the mail today since i'm just up the road- all I can say is I have a loooooooong way to go to get even close to y'alls level. The density on a couple of these is astounding! How are yall getting the density? Any advice to take back to the vise?

I haven't been trying hair very long. I watched one of Creams you tube videos and it started me locking down with a half hitch after each time I would pack, I also cheat and add some thin head cement Ayer each pack. Doing those two things really helped me get the hair much tighter.

Thanks guys. Vicente's right on about locking the hair in after packing. No point packing it tight if it's going to unpack itself right after. Another big density helper is using BIG bundles of deer hair. People talk about it in terms of pencil sized bundles but I think I'd have to measure mine in sharpies.

-Mike