Fly Tying
flytire

September flies from the vise

Cream, you show a bucketmouth but pink was always a good color for smallmouth up north. Speaking of pink, here's a soft hackle I for the breast cancer awareness outing.

DSC01587.JPG DSC01589.JPG

Cream, you show a bucketmouth but pink was always a good color for smallmouth up north. Speaking of pink, here's a soft hackle I for the breast cancer awareness outing.

attachicon.gifDSC01587.JPG attachicon.gifDSC01589.JPG

Technically a spotted bass, but it is a green bass. Buckets like it, too.

Trying to imitate a fly I bought at a store which I assume to be a caddis nymph. I've got to figure out a better method for the legs.

post-59595-0-48378400-1473826926_thumb.jpg

post-59595-0-58450900-1473826951_thumb.jpg

Trying to imitate a fly I bought at a store which I assume to be a caddis nymph. I've got to figure out a better method for the legs.

Try using pheasant tail instead and tie them in underneath

As mentioned you could use pheasant, you could also use mallard flank fibers or even hen soft hackle ( either of the latter two are a bit more durable than pheasant but it depends on the effect you want really). You could watch any number of different videos on how to tie those materials in to look like legs. You could also put in a couple of turns of dubbing up front and pluck out some fibers to act as legs. Rabbit mask dubbing is good with the guard hairs in it. Take a bodkin or sewing needle and pluck the fibers out from under the tying thread.

If you want realistic caddis legs, you could use pheasant tail fibers like this video. It turns out like this:

LE-Latex_rhyacophila.jpg

I've never come close to that for caddis nymphs. Like most people, I use a course dubbing for the thorax and tease out some legs on the bottom.

More like this impressionistic caddis from Tightline Video:

maxresdefault.jpg

Bruce,

Do you have an opinion on which kind of fly is a more effective fish catcher. I'm one who favors impressionistic tied flies as opposed to the ultra realistic flies. I'd rather dance with the girl that has the moves as opposed to the one that just sits there and looks pretty !

If you want realistic caddis legs, you could use

. It turns out like this:

LE-Latex_rhyacophila.jpg

I've never come close to that for caddis nymphs. Like most people, I use a course dubbing for the thorax and tease out some legs on the bottom.

More like this

maxresdefault.jpg

I like the thread legs. What i meant was tying an overhand knot ontop of the head doesn't hold them well, even when you add head cement. So I need to figure out a better way for the thread legs.

so none of the suggestions given on your other post regarding the legs worked?

http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php?showtopic=84126

i'll try again. so after tying the overhand knot make an 'x' wrap over the knot. repeat for the other legs

or

watch how these rubber legs are tied in. just do it with pieces of thread

try to remember theyll never be perfect

Here is a new one for me, a soft hackle style fly.

I don't think it is horrible, other than having my trademark wrong hook, wrong hackle and wrong color... :)

post-52874-0-80273400-1473897874_thumb.jpeg