Fly Tying
Brodrash

5wt too small for carp?

I want to fish for some common carp, but the biggest rod I own is a fiver, will it have enough backbone to land a few of these carp? I've landed a few 3 or 31/2 pound LMBs no problem, and one stocked brood trout that was way over 5lbs. If im fishing for carp up to 10 lbs (give or take a few pounds), with 2x leader in Stillwater will I have any problems.?

how expensive is your rod? 'cause it could get broken, I was trying to get some on my 4 wt the other day and that was my first thought. if you get a big one point your rod at it instead of lifting it up.

I fish saltwater for snook and reds with a 5wt, most important advice, set your drag then dont touch it and for the love of god dont put your hand on the blank above the grip! That will snap a rod in a second.

Vincente, It's a combo my wife got me about a year ago, I think she paid like $120 for everything, and for the price I think it really performs well. No matter how much it costs I cant afford to break it though lol. If I get a big one i'll try and let the drag do the work and like you said keep the rod pointed at it.

I have caught carp on a 6wt. But I had to point my rod them and beach them. The rod didn't have enough to bring them to hand.

Joe I have seen I few guys fish the salt with 5 weights, super cool. I'll make sure I keep your tips in mind breaking a rod would ruin a trip.

Oh and on completely different subject. I meant to reply to you on a previous thread of mine I read back through it and for some reason the reply did not go through. It was the thread about a fly I had tied at work. You mentioned that the fly looked like it was displayed on a roll of toilet paper and asked me where exactly I tied that fly. lol ( it was actually displayed on paper towel)

Anyhow I ran across a little poem on the internet and modified it a bit for the situation. So here it goes.....

My boss makes a dollar

I make a Dime

That's why I poop and tie flies

on company time

I felt bad that I didn't reply to you, and I thought that poem was to good not to post lol

Sincerely the Toilet Tyer,

Brody

I'd say an 8 wt if you are going to be catching 10 pounders. Your 5 wt will work if you play them off the reel. However, sometimes it's necessary to turn the fish to keep them out of stuff that they will get tangled up in. A 5 wt will be a hoot to fish, but you may lose some of the bigger ones.

Joe I have seen I few guys fish the salt with 5 weights, super cool. I'll make sure I keep your tips in mind breaking a rod would ruin a trip.

Oh and on completely different subject. I meant to reply to you on a previous thread of mine I read back through it and for some reason the reply did not go through. It was the thread about a fly I had tied at work. You mentioned that the fly looked like it was displayed on a roll of toilet paper and asked me where exactly I tied that fly. lol ( it was actually displayed on paper towel)

Anyhow I ran across a little poem on the internet and modified it a bit for the situation. So here it goes.....

My boss makes a dollar

I make a Dime

That's why I poop and tie flies

on company time

I felt bad that I didn't reply to you, and I thought that poem was to good not to post lol

Sincerely the Toilet Tyer,

Brody

Lol thats great!!

Yea I've landed a 36" snook on a 5wt. I use a long handle landing net because most rods are broke landing a fish.

I quite often fish for carp with a cabela's cgr 5/6 wt. I use that rod for just about everything and am going to try it on reds on an upcoming trip. But as long as you play the fish and don't try to horse it you will be fine. I landed a 36-38" carp that weighed over 20# in less about 5-6 minutes on 10# tippet.

5 wt is fine. Be careful with river carp... they're much stronger than pond carp. Fish for them enough and you'll see quite a few rods snap, regardless of wt. All comes down to properly playing the fish... mainly, taking your time