Fly Tying
Alex C.

I quit smoking today

Hey Skunked,

I know it’s hard. I quit for about 6 years, started again beginning of 2000, quit last year on the 4th of July, and started again end of October while fishing for lake run browns. I’m going to buy a box of Nicoderm patches tomorrow and try to quit again. We can do it! I don’t know why but for some reason it is easier to quit if you have a carton of smokes in the house, at least that’s what happened to me. Wearing Nicoderm patches on the upper arm, starting with 21 mg for a month or two, costing about $45 for 14 patches, not cheap, but it helps. Then decrease to 14 mg’s for a month before using 7’s.

A pack of 7’s still cost about $45 and if you buy a box of 21 mg’s and cut them with scissors when you decrease dosage and save a bunch of $ and have 6 weeks worth.

I knew a Marine DI who claimed to have a sure fire method for quitting smoking. Get a little jar and fill it about ¼ full of water. Sit in a closet or small confined with no ventilation, and smoke, and smoke and smoke. Put all the butts and ashes into the small jar. Keep smoking continuously until you feel sick and keep on smoking until you either pass out or vomit. That’s the tipping point. From then on you carry that little jar everywhere you go and when the urge to smoke arrives pull out the jar, open the lid, poke your nose in and inhale deeply until the urge goes away. Apparently this works, I’ll try the patches. It’s a challenge but I know you can do it.

Graham

Keep hanging in there Skunked.

You can do it man. Drop the cash you would spend for a pack of smokes in a jar every day. If you smoked two packs a day, double it. After about 3-4 weeks, you would be surprised and the chunk of change you have saved.

Nothing motivates a man like money (to purchase fishing gear).

Just don't go out and spend the cash on a carton, hit the fly shop and go broke on fur and feathers first.

For real man, I have been thinking and praying for you every day; it's a battle to break that addiction, I know. Keep healthy for your family. You can do it, we are all pulling for you.

George

Hey Skunked, How's it goin? Take Coneheads advice, buy tying stuff not smokes. I really wasn't suggesting buying a carton, just that the last two times I quit I had plently of smokes, keeps the running out panic out of the quiting routine. Last year when I quit it was days after getting back from an Adirondacks trip, picked up a few cartons real cheap at the Indian Rez and just having so many smokes and the thought of inhaling all that made it much easier to quit. To bad I started again 4 months later.

Graham

wallbash.gif We had my brothers bachelor party last night and after being possessed by some demon licquor drunk.gif I had a couple smokes crying.gif I am not giving up that easy though, I've refocused and want to stay a non smoker boxing.gif

Go to your doctor and tell him you want to quit.

I smoked for 25 years and smoked at least 3 packs a day for the last 10 of that. I tried quitting numerous times with no luck. I would quit for 3 weeks, start back, quit for another 3 weeks, and start back.

I went to my doctor and he gave me some pills (wellbutrin sp?-its for depression-really helps the cravings) and nicotine gum. I took the pills for 4 weeks and used the gum for a week and it's been over a year since I have smoked and I don't have any desire to smoke another one.

My doctor told me that 80% of the people he has put on this program have quit and never started back. Sure worked for me.

Good luck with quitting. Stick it out.

Hey Skunked,

I understand what you are and will be going through. I'm 5 weeks into my quit. I still have hard times, but they get easier. Here's some things that have helped me:

-take notes on when you smoke(d)...in the car, in the morning with coffee, on break at work, stressful situations, BACHELOR PARTIES & ALCOHOL, etc. Recognizing where, when & why you light up will help you prepare for the cravings.

-tell your co-workers that you're quitting, and ask them not to do it around you or offer you smokes, and even to not give you any if you break down & ask.

-give yourself something to do when a craving hits. Buy a little video poker game or something similar & play it when a craving hits when possible.

-buy some hard candy so your mouth has something to do. I can't tell you how many Creme-Savers I've eaten in the last month. Raspberry is my favorite, but I keep a variety, and I keep them in the places I used to smoke (car, by the computer, by the tying desk, in my pockets & in my fishing gear). Focus on sucking them...the effort not to chew them will give you something to concentrate on.

-use an OTC or prescription aid. I've used gum & patches, but I didn't find a really good solution until I started on Zyban (you'll need a prescription, but the doc can give you support material that is helpful). The gum still helps me get through some tough cravings.

-practice deep breathing when a craving hits.

-take it one day at a time...one hour at a time...one craving at a time.

-if you have a slip, don't get down on yourself or give up. Figure out what caused the slip so you'll be ready when the situation comes up again.

-use a support person. My sweetie is the best resource I have found. Feel free to email me if you want to discuss the crap you're going through.

-realize that the first 3 weeks will be the toughest. Hell week, then Heck week, then it starts getting easier (but you'll still have some hard times)

-drink lots of water to flush the nicotine from your system. Fruit juice will restore the vitamin C that the smoking depletes, and some people say that grapefruit juice helps ease the cravings.

-reward yourself for each milestone! Best milestones are the first day, after 3 days (nicotine body lifespan), one week, 2 weeks, one month, 3 & 6 months & a year. Save the cash you would've spent & go on a great trip. In fact, pick that trip now, get brochures, pictures, etc, & put them where you'll see them so you can focus on that reward when you need a boost.

And a couple of things you may not know:

-quitting smoking causes excessive flatulence. Smoking kills microbacteria in your body. When you quit, the microbacteria population bounces back, causing the extra gas. Be sure to share this with a loved one blink.gif

-the term "cold turkey" was started in the 20's, as a description of heroin junkies going through withdrawals...they shivered & shook like a plucked turkey. All the tips I posted above and those from others will also serve as feathers for you...you don't have to go through this naked!

Hang in there!!!

I quit chewing 2 years ago this month and I still get the craving once in a while. I just quit cold turkey. I wish you well and good luck. It is tough but it can be done.

Ditz

Another one here to give it a go. Thanks for starting this thread skunked, as it was the turing point for me. There are alot of really great points there nightfish. I use most of them myself as I reach the 36 hr. headbang.gif headbang.gif My 'plan' includes the gum for the next couple of weeks and them wean off of that. I always have chewing gum in my pocket, plus chewy candies that I focus on sucking. I stay away from the smoke pit at work, and focus on the good that I will get out of all of this. These include better health, $$$ for gear and kisses from my sweetie again. I've quit before (for 3 yrs), and know that I can do it again.

Stick to it guys, we're worth the effort!!!

Art

I was a smoker for 25 years. Quiting is the hardest thing I have ever attempted but has paid off in a big way. I had givin myself asthma sucking on the sticks and the Doc told me at this rate emphazema was not far behind. I quit Nov. 16, 1992 @ 1:30 pm. That's how hard it is; I can still remember the time. I still get the cravings to this day but it is much easier than it used to be. The asthma has subsided and my lungs have cleared up and (don't think I am picking on ya wink.gif ) I don't stink anymore. Trust me chicks dig guys that don't stink and aren't hacking up a lung once in a while.

Don't give up. If you fall off the horse just climb back on. The money saved is just a bonus I never noticed having any extra cash but I sure notice the health benifits of being smoke free.

Still going strong guys. There have been a few tough 'moments' and that is just what they are 'moments'; they pass before I even know it. I got my eye on a 'toon boat that I should be able to buy cash saved money around the end on June.

Art

Easy: NO

Worth it: YES!!

Thats great news Art I'm glad to hear it. I've been going back&forth&back&forth over the past month. I'm on my 2nd day AGAIN right now and more than likely wont last much longer rolleyes.gif but one of these times I'll get it in my head and do it for good.

Hang in there you just about got a month now...or is today a month?

Good luck man. That is the hardest undertaking I can think of. I can't count the number of times I've tried to quit. I've been smoking for ten years now (and I'm only 23). I have been telling myself to quit for about two months now (I mean really telling myself and actually considering it) or I'm probably going to croak by the time I'm 40!

Stay strong, and chew the hell out of that gum. I did quit for a week once, and I was surprised how much better I felt in that short amount of time. Try to pay attention to the feeling of your lungs healing rather than your cravings. That helped me. Good luck!