Fly Tying
Alex C.

I quit smoking today

Skunked,

I'm proud of you, habits are hard to break, but you have the support of people on this site you have never even met.

Just think of the prospects of beating this. You will live longer, enjoy life more, see your little girl grow up, walk her down the asile (without an oxygen tank) and someday when you get to be an old man like me, you can teach those grankids how to tie flies and catch sunfish.

Don't let those smokes cheat you out of a long and happy life, I beleive you can do it. I'm depending on you to find me a nursing home when I get old.

Skunked, hang in there; I will be praying for strength for you to do this.

Conehead

Good for you! It's been a year and a half and I feel great! And I don't feel guilty about spending money on fly equipment. I still spend less than I did on smokes. Besides, fishing is healthier for you.

Best of luck! Keep quiting!

BFR

and someday when you get to be an old man like me,

Now why would you think you're an old man? tongue.gif

THanks for all the positive comments, what a great group of people you all are. clapping.gif

Good Luck Skunked..I quit 6 years ago when they cut me open for open heart surgery..I saw the light then. Quit cold turkey a week before suergery and havn't gone back. Best thing I ever did. wink.gif

You got some really solid friendly careing advice.

Qu0te

a successful quitter is that they REALLY Have to WANT to Quit. If you don't really want to it's next to impossible. I get a kick out of some of the people at work that think cause they use the patch, the pill, or gum that this will stop them from smoking. Nothing can STOP you except YOU!

Good luck, I have quit so many times its scary. I found that as soon as I get arround people that smoke.

Stick it out skunked, its gonna be tough.

Best of luck Skunked with your decision! Every time you get the urge...tie a fly! Get some good toothpicks and/or gum to fulfill the oral fixation. YOU CAN DOO EEETTTT!

Good for you, probaly one of the toughest things in the world to do as they say that nictone is more addictive----------------

It's not hard I stopped 20 maybe30 times. help.gif Like they said very very hard to do But the best thing you will ever do. Im 60and now I play racket ball in the winter to keep in shape for summer. I also saved the money from 2 packs a day and went to Montana 3 times in five years I go for 3 weeks at a time .

Great decision.

L-PA

ood luck bud hang in there. I've quit probably 15 times in the last 2 years and ended up starting again so I know how hard it is. Its one of those things that you dont really see the bad effects of when you do it so it makes you think its not as bad as some things, but it is. I just quit a few weeks ago and made it about 8 days then started again last week, now i've had the same pack for 3 days now and still have about 6 left so i'm trying again. Was smoking about a pack and a half a day so i'm tryin to stretch this pack out till its gone and then not buy another one....we'll see how it goes this time unsure.gif

I'm pullin for ya though you can do it wink.gif

Good luck Skunked and Steeldrifter. My dad smoked for god knows how long then he quit cold turkey probably about 10 years ago. For quite a while he always had a tootsie roll pop in his mouth. He said it really helped him in quitting smoking.

Good luck

Jim

When I had quite last year for around 45 days I picked up a pack of 'fake cigs'(cant remember what they were really called) at K-mart. Sounds weird but all they were is a filter the same size and look of a normal smoke that you just put in your mouth. I know it sounds silly but being able to hold something that looks like a smoke really helped the hand to mouth habit that makes it so hard to quite. Might be something to help you as well skunked if the cravings get bad.

Good luck to you Skunked and SteelDrifter.

I quit for a year and a half before caving in again. Two things that helped me quit.

Zyban! (Huge help) and buying myself something small everyday that equalled about how much I smoked. It's how I started fly tying again.

Two things that helped me start back up. Moving in with a roommate who smoked like a chimney, and friends who gave me cigarettes when I asked for them.

Use any means necessary to quit, and use any means necessary to avoid caving in.

:(It's a very costly way to send yourself to an early grave

dry.gif smells bad

unsure.gif the fairer gender hates it

mad.gif it's worse than illegal in Canada (the law and nonsmokers treat you worse than animals in many cases)

and the list goes on...

On the plus side of quitting:

cool.gif it's full bragging rights for those who succeed (I so look forward to that again)

biggrin.gif the girls smile at you more

laugh.gif spare bucks

smile.gif not having to worry about going to the store at 1 AM because you ran out

smile.gif not having to leave a great conversation to go on a smoke break

biggrin.gif more fishing days (because of money and health)

headbang.gif healthier libido

...and the list continues forever!

The good news is if you do cave in, you can quit again. Keep at it guys...I will be joining you soon.

good luck buddie I dont smoke but my buddie told me it's not hard to quit he quits everyday for at least a hour one time he quit for 30 days he was in the county jail and all he could see out his little window was a billboard with a malboro add said he wanted to tear it down when he got out I guess that he get for bustin the back window out of a cruiser lol smoke.gif

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.