Fly Tying
jd1983

Mighty Mite Midge Swap

Got everybody on the list that has signed up. I decided to move the deadline back a little in a hope to get a few more people signed up.

I've been tying some basic #24 black gnats for the swap on another board. Black hackle tail, black dubbing, cree hackle collar. Nothing fancy but a couple of guys asked for a 26 with wings so I'd been tying them as Adams but single cree hackle. #26 is as small as I've gone before with wings but I thought I'd give it a try and dug out one of the few #30s I've got left. This time I decided on a Mosquito. Well, twice I shaved back to bare hook, Finally had a nice tail, had some Grizzly hackle tip wings mounted, and completed the body with a completely stripped size#18 grizzly hackle quill. After I got that tied down I plucked a grizzly hackle from way down on the bottom of my cape and got it wound with only a couple of slippped hackles and false starts.

Actually got it tied down and while slipping the whip finish it got a dallop of SA to bind it down. I looked at clock and that ONE FLY had taken over an hour. Not a spey, not classic, not a dee or a bee, just a mosquito...but darnit, it was a good tie under magnification and I was happy with it. I grabbed my eye spike (a #16 barbless hook attached to a paper clip) and made sure the eye was open. I checked it pushing down through the eye, then for some reason I decided to push the hook through the eye to put it away and get some pics tomorrow. BOING, straight up out of the vise that little #30 mosquito flew at the speed of light and disappeared somewhere in my tying room/spare bedroom. I just quit for the night after dragging my magnet all over and decided if I was going to have a winged #30 to show off it would probably not be that one.

Hey vicrider I read your story and chuckled I have had it happen too many times. Even after I read your post I put a size 24 parachute in the vice to take another look at it and it launched into outer orbit. I didn't even try to look for it!

I am tying a parachute:

size 24

black thread body (no tail)

dun poly post

cree hackle

I tried another one with cdc wing and wound hackle and couldn't get it to look good.

Did you get my flies

I did get them and have marked it on the first page.

Still have a couple spots open. I'll give it until October 1st and then close it up if no one else joins.