Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
JarrodRuggles

dyeing stuff black

I gotta tye some of them woolie buggers for fishing cause thats all they want right now.

Since I never tye those things...i dont have black hackle ...(although I do have olive thats good for woolies) How do I turn that olive black with out a permanent marker.

Thanks

Rit dye would work. Black is one of the colors to die, you got to let it cook for a VERY long time and then sometimes redyeing it is necessary.

Rit Black is poor to fair at best when trying to achieve a true black. A dark purple shade or hue seems to be the outcome even after multiple dyeing attempts. Add some Dark Brown even some Dark Green to a Rit black bath and this at times will offset the purple. The best way is to use an acid base dye, many spinning/fabric shops usually have something like this available.

If not, let me know as I use an excellent dye that penetrates protein materials and others into a deep true black quickly. Also try to dye materials from dark items, never use white (waste) if possible. I like to dye items either an orange or chartreuse color if I am using white or cream before dyeing it black. I get a real midnight black when doing this. Add a tablespoon of white vinegar or a few drops of glacial acetic acid into the bath for dye penetration.

If the feathers are strung you can actually boil them in the dye bath making sure the feathers don't cling to the sides...this can be done with marabou as well for any color. I let the strung feathers boil for a few minutes, turn heat off and then cover and let sit for a while letting the feathers absorb the dye. Many times I let the bath sit overnight, if I am not in a hurry.

If you have any questions, let me know and I hope this helps.

Mad Scientist

Fly Tyers Dungeon

user posted image

Sounds like a lot of work, for just a few bucks you can get them in a few days from Cabelas, Or if you can wait order them from Green Caddis Outfiters on this forum. Proceded go to help the FTF.

Conehead

you got to let it cook for a VERY long time and then sometimes redyeing it is necessary.

Can't you bleach it first, that ould probably get you better color absorbtion dunno.gif

If you want black, there isn't any reason to bleach it out as any color/shade can be dyed to black. Bleaching it out defeats the purpose of getting the material dark, black.

Rit dye will work, but an addition of Dark Brown will offset the purple hue that will appear and then it is still frustrating at times. A True Black is a hard "color" to achieve, that's why an acid base dye is preferred, one for protein fibers for hair and hackles. Most spinning and wool shops have various dyes that should work. Personally I use other dyes.

Rit is a salt base dye and is made from 4 different dyes, which why it is pretty universal in dyeing many types of materials. You won't get bright and brilliant colors however with Rit, but they are readily available. Earthtone colors (Black is an exception) can be had using Rit. Even most dyes at spinning shops are not for dyeing Hot and brilliant colors.

Dyeing materials is a lot of fun, frustrating at times, but it gives you the options of dyeing colors you want and in taking "Bad" colors and making them into something you need. It may be the only option you have if time is against you.

For instance, you may want a brown Hoffman saddle and you find a beautiful cream saddle that has hackle in the exact sizes you want, but can not find a brown one. Take the cream one and dye it a beautiful "natural" brown or split it and dye 1/2 brown and 1/2 medium dun. Dyeing gives you options and it's fun.

Mad Scientist

Fly Tyers Dungeon

user posted image