Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
tomcraw

head cement vs. uv epoxy

Yep, I have loctite and gorilla glue super glue in liquid and gell forms, pourable and brush-able. I have head cement, liquid fusion, hot glue, 5 minute epoxy, 30 minute epoxy, Sally hansons and uv resin at my tying desk. I might be a glue hoarder.

Yep, I have loctite and gorilla glue super glue in liquid and gell forms, pourable and brush-able. I have head cement, liquid fusion, hot glue, 5 minute epoxy, 30 minute epoxy, Sally hansons and uv resin at my tying desk. I might be a glue hoarder.

I use thin UV for head cement when I'm doing a tying demo, simply because I can set it in about 10 seconds. I've fished a few of those flies myself, and it seems reasonably durable. I'm not sure it penetrates the thread, though, so I'm hesitant to trust it too fully.

For most of my own tying, I use a non-toxic head cement. It penetrates the thread better, and is water proof. On the down side, it takes about 15 minutes to dry. If I'm not in a hurry, though, that's not really a problem.

I have friends that favor super glue as head cement, but I really don't like working with it, and I don't think it holds up as well long term. Dave Whitlock has been finishing his flys with superglue for years. No whip finish, just wet about 2" of thread with super glue, wind it on, and cut of the excess.

I do use Sally Hansen's clear as a top coat on some flies, but I don't like trying to dab a drop on the head of a size 16 dry fly with that big brush! I also don't like the drying agent, and don't really trust how waterproof it is.