Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Big-Hat river

Vise upgrade

It does not bother me because it is the only rotation feature I ever had. I got used to reaching under the vise and pull the handle towards me and away.

I am at the point that I am curious about true rotation vises, but at $150 and up, I do not really need one.

Bimini, the Regals have beautiful workmanship and generally materials ( though we do hear rumors of this jaw chipping theory here and there splattered over the forums), they are a great vise. They just don't fit a habit of mine, that is to quickly and steadily rotate ( I'm coming short of saying spinning) the rotary head around to apply dubbing to thread and form a noodle ( ala- Norlander style). I can do this if the handle is at the back of the vice and not too long or heavy but not when in the way. If you only rotate your vise to access the other side of your tie, then it absolutely won't matter to you and you have one of the best vises available out there in terms of fit and finish etc. This is why I said an inline would suit me fine but it needs to spin freely and smoothly and not be out of balance when doing it. Most true rotary vises will pendulum to the bottom if set free of any drag because they are out of balance.. And if there is drag you can't turn it up fast enough to form this noodle.

Ultimately I'd like to own a Nor-Vise or a Regal Revolution but I don't want to pay the cost of admission, when I can do this on my Indian vise, if a bit more clunky ( I'd love to bore out the head and fit a set of bronze bushings in there).

Dave G...Search eBay, craigs list...anything till you find a nor vise you can afford. Wait till i die and buy mine from my brothers if need be...But you will come to see how you can vary how you tie with it. It can do even more than norm claims. It will be your go-to if you can get your paws on one.

Guys, if I really really wanted the Nor-Vise I'd put a couple of other priorities aside and get one. I'm not that strapped , it's more a matter of priorities. Being retired you do end up having to prioritize more than when there is weekly paychecks and some loose cash around. This way it's all tied up, it's not that it doesn't exist. And I'm not depending on someones death to get one, Dr V , you're crazy LOL ! Actually when I first retired ( be two years next month), management gave me a personal gift card worth more than an enough to get one but I bought a wood lathe and some accessories for it instead. However, I do know that a Nor-Vise would be put to good use, i use some of norm's techniques now with my clunky vise and they work too ( that's part of why it isn't as much a priority as I might be to own a Nor-Vise).

But Cold, I'll consider your heads up on the rotation of the Revolution maybe not being as free running as one imagines. Thanks for that !

seems to be more free spinning than one might assume in this video. start at the 6:05 mark

Ya that spins pretty awesome alright !

I have a hard time spending a lot of money on a vise when all it does is hold the hook. I tie on an old Thomson Pro Vise. But I have to admit, Their are time I would like to rotate it over to dab some glue on the bottom or make an adjustment. Now again Im looking at cheap knockoffs. And I almost bought one of the Regal knockoffs on ebay. Then I found this, Tier McFlier Ireland True Rotary... All for $65, How can you beat this. Its does come from Daugavpils, Latvia, off Ebay. I ordered it and cant wait to get it. It holds big hooks and small. I asked the seller to send me pics of a #2 hook and if it had ball bearings? And it can, And does The add says it goes from 18- 5/0 hooks. Steel and aluminium. I cant find anything wrong with this. Even come with the bobbin spring material holder. I think this beats the Danica Danvice hands down. What do you guys think?

s-l400.jpg$_12.JPG?set_id=2$_12.JPG?set_id=2

clearly an older renzetti style (thumb screw vs cam lever) knockoff. but if it holds a hook securely thats all that counts

My first vise was Griffin Spider which worked well but I got tired of the thumb screw and found a Renzetti Traveller SW on ebay for well below retail.

Suits my needs quite well.

My first vice was one of those that came in the kit I got at Meijer's. Didn't take long to get a Griffin Spider. Only a month or so.

Used the Spider for awhile and then switched to Griffin Mongoose. Still have the Spider and I still use it every once in awhile.

What I do like about the Tier McFlier Vice are the bearings. That is a nice touch.

Have to reply to a post here on my upgraded vice. The Tier McFlier True Rotary. Been using it for two months now. Wow, this is worth way more. Smooth rotation. Well made. The only flaw.. old style jaws. Big deal. Still holds the hook tight and dont slip. Just saying if any one wanted to buy a inexpensive rotary without spending a lot. Take a look at this. I do not work or in anyway affiliated with them. Just a cheap bastard.

Have to reply to a post here on my upgraded vice. The Tier McFlier True Rotary. Been using it for two months now. Wow, this is worth way more. Smooth rotation. Well made. The only flaw.. old style jaws. Big deal. Still holds the hook tight and dont slip. Just saying if any one wanted to buy a inexpensive rotary without spending a lot. Take a look at this. I do not work or in anyway affiliated with them. Just a cheap bastard.

My preset vise costs me 0 to use at this point and still holds hooks. But that McFlier looks decently made, glad you enjoy it and the experience has gone well for you !