Fly Tying
Chia

Squirrel dubbing

Can anyone point to me information about what part of the squirrel to shaveat for dubbing. I really do not want to tan the thing, but just shave it with a beard trimmer.

Thanks!

Just use scissors or trimmer and clip off the hair from the skin.You may want to remove some of the longer guard hairs.The underfur makes the best dubbing.

I have trimmed whole pine squirrel skins and have lots of really great dubbing. Very buggy with the long guard hairs. I like it best in pale yellow for golden stone nymphs. You can always add a pinch to regular rabbit dubbing to get it a little buggier.

Also not a bad idea to zonker a few so you can clip off long sections for dubbing brushes.

J

For dubbing, I'd try to wait another month until they get their winter coats. The nicest fur will be on the flanks and maybe the sides of the chest. The hair on the back tends to be short and spiky (very little underfur). Around the head is very short, and I've found the belly fur to be short as well.

One squirrel will give you enough dubbing to last several years.

I hope you cleaned the hide and dried it out really good with borax, clean materials are so much better easier to tie with.

I know it's a lousy picture but this is a little fur rake I got from JStockard

100_1932.jpg

I like to use the rake on the neck area and down over the shoulders, and I pull any long hairs out when I want it for dry flies. For all the other flies I use an old beard trimmer to shave it down. When I get tanned skins I cut regular and cross-cut zonker strips and pieces left over are all shaved to make dubbing

100_7177.jpg

I would trim it based on colors; e.g. a fox squirrel has more brown/grey on the back and then it lightens up to orangey cream on the belly. Check recipes for Dave Whitlock's Red Fox Squirrel nymph which uses both colors, but in different parts of the fly.

Thanks, Bob H

I would trim it based on colors; e.g. a fox squirrel has more brown/grey on the back and then it lightens up to orangey cream on the belly. Check recipes for Dave Whitlock's Red Fox Squirrel nymph which uses both colors, but in different parts of the fly.

Thanks, Bob H

What he said

I trim the belly and put it in one bag and the rest of the hair in an other bag

Use an electric beard trimmer

My past hunting only produced Gray Squirrels skins, and I made dubbing with the natural colored fur & have dyed the skins. As others have said, it's best to trim the hair from the different areas to get various textures & "colors". I have some natural colored Fox & Pine squirrel skins too, but have only used them as is.

I very much agree with the idea of cleaning the skin to remove dirt, blood, grease or oil. This can be done with Dawn dish detergent and warm water, then be sure to let it dry thoroughly. Then be sure to store them in a sealed container or zip lock bag.

Beard trimmer or good scissors both work great! smile.png

They don't need to be tanned to make dubbing, just dried but would need to be tanned for cutting zonker strips, and the tanning process would have to be such that water won't affect it. (garment grade tanning). There are different tanning methods and not all are well suited for fly tying purposes.

I've done some chrome tanning, which works great but is expensive and the used solvent is toxic and can't simply be dumped down the drain. It has to be disposed of properly.

If you tack the squirrel hides to a board, after a good cleaning, they'll dry & be fine for trimming dubbing. Otherwise, you'll get whatever is on the fur, in your dubbing. sad.png

I get mostly red squirrels during winter and simply pluck the hair off the skin for great dubbing. Grab a small bunch and give a good strong tug against the grain and it'll come off and leave a bald skin spot. You get it all, with no mess - a good mix of underfur and guard hairs all like 1/2" long. No need to trim. Just steer clear of any blood or other nastiness and you can avoid washing anything. Pluck all the clean body areas into a little ziplock, and forget the rest.

Yes, I have been saving tails. Just thought there could more I could use. Thank you for all the help!