Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Li'lDave

Deer hair

Yeah mate. Was actually out with one of my white models with a bunny tail yesterday. It essentially suspends which is awesome, and rides hook point down. Got a little GT with it and missed out on a couple of little queenfish, and had some interest shown by a couple of other critters as well.

The technique I tried with this was actually spinning the hair into a brush and then applying. I have found that wax on the thread and that thinner diameters work best (for me).

I have been watching some youtube vids, and the next thing I want to try is the more traditional 'stacking' like a few others on here seem to be exceptionally good at.

post-55238-0-13991000-1476088656_thumb.jpgpost-55238-0-75947600-1476088678_thumb.jpg I bought this tool by Stonfo Dave, not to keen on holding just the razor after a lot of beers! Finally found the razors in a shop here, a long way from cheap 7.95 euros for 5 Gillette Platinum razors! I'm no expert, but think these bass bugs are a lot of fun! What i do know is only buy belly hair & comb all the fluff out, if your buying hair in a shop? Check it well, depending when it was killed it will have a lot of fluff or not much, should make a chrunchy noise with not much fluff! Most belly hair here seems very short or has a horrible bend, maybe all the short stuff is sent here thinking we only make salmon bombers? Pack the hair good too! I made my own packer, it's in the lodge!

Thanks mate.

Have a couple of nice patches of belly hair and a couple of good local suppliers which is awesome.

Just as well I'm not much of a drinker.

Had some news today that put a dampener on tying tonight so we'll see how we go tomorrow.

I was out with a white model with a bunny tail too yesterday. Was fun till I had to drop her back off at Hugh Hefner's house! wink.png lol

Oooohhh !!!

If we meet, and your wife is along with you ... is this something I shouldn't mention ???

I was out with a white model with a bunny tail too yesterday. Was fun till I had to drop her back off at Hugh Hefner's house! wink.png lol

Oooohhh !!!

If we meet, and your wife is along with you ... is this something I shouldn't mention ???

nah its a reoccurring dream, she knows all about it lol

I have tied for a while. But I have never messed with deer hair much. Is there a "starter" warm water pattern?

I would start with a muddler. Smaller head, less deer hair work and you can still save the fly if you mess the trimming.

Oh you must be talking about like I did last year, started out tying a popper and ended up with a diver LOL ! It swims nice though.

I would start with a muddler. Smaller head, less deer hair work and you can still save the fly if you mess the trimming.

Oh you must be talking about like I did last year, started out tying a popper and ended up with a diver LOL ! It swims nice though.

You got it! ;)