Fly Tying
Bimini15

Almost done with the hurricane shutters...

Sorry to hear, David and I hope all is well when you return.

It is been 11 years since we had much closer calls than this one down here and we still have lots or reminders if you know where to look. Light poles lining a street, all leaning just so, trees that have grown a lot since but seem to be missing branches where you would expect some, etc.

But life moved on, things go back to normal and we forget if we choose to.

Obviously, some of the WORST pictures are coming from Haiti ... which never recovered from previous catastrophes ... and got a direct hit from Matthew while it was cat 4 or 5.

Mike, there was a time I looked at damage like they had in Haiti and would say something like, "Oh look, an entire town of thousands was wiped out. Damage estimates may go as high as three thousand dollars". It took meeting a few people who have gone thru refugee status to realize I was laughing at their losing a mud hut and a couple of old pans and a mattress. Now I realize that it really doesn't make a lot of difference how much you have. If you lose everything it is devastating whether it's a mud hut or a mansion. To those people who did suffer the losses I only hope recover is possible for them.

Thanks guy - as of this morning they are allowing re-entry to the island starting at 3pm today. As of 9am the traffic is already backed up, there is only one bridge on and off the island.

The community I live in is still for the most part without electric, water and sewer. Many areas are still inaccessible due to downed trees and standing water. The good news we heard yesterday that our house appeared to be undamaged, though several tree limbs on the roof.

We plan to sit tight for a few more days and let the recovery continue and the surge of people returning subside - plan to return Friday in the hope of utilities being restored.

The grocery stores have run out of beer, but there is plenty of water on the shelves.

Don't wait too long. Following the disasters are always the human vultures (read looters). Again, I wish you good luck upon your return, that everything is in good shape.

It's great to hear you guys are safe. It definitely could have been worse for everyone. David, I hope all is well with yours when you return.

Here is a screenshot of when the storm was about due east of us,__the black dot. It's amazing how little wind and rain we got. We never lost power or anything.

Thank the Lord!

Bimini, your about due east of me..it's crazy that you faired so well, and it made that turn north, staying off the coast.

post-59266-0-21744500-1476223460_thumb.jpg

Thank you for the concern, friends. As Steve reported, we lost power. We got it back about an hour ago.

In '04, when we had 4 back-to-back storms, I mounted studs in the window frames. It takes me about an 1 1/2 hours to cover all the windows on the house. My Mother-n-law moved within 2 miles about 6 years ago. Being lazy, I never set her house up like ours.

Fortunately, she only suffered minor damage that I've already fixed.

Our house suffered no damage. Our yard suffered some catastrophic destruction, though.

Side view ...

attachicon.gifHurricane Matthew (1).JPG

In the background, you can see Wife feeding some of the adopted children (who all made it through the storm, by hiding in the garage)

attachicon.gifHurricane Matthew (2).JPG

The branch destroyed this sign.

attachicon.gifHurricane Matthew (3).JPG

Just plain wind forces destroyed this one.

attachicon.gifHurricane Matthew (4).JPG

I apologize for the political part of this ... and for being so light hearted about the damages ... but Wife and I are very happy we with our lot in life, now that power's been restored.

Hey Mike, you misspelllled mother-in-law, Ha!

Mike is right about the vultures.

The year we had three storms in two weeks I was not in a hurry to take the shutters down. Weekend job, I thought.

We live in a pretty safe area, but, well... we came back from work one day and they had broken in through the big patio door that I had uncovered for light.

My Mother-n-law moved within 2 miles about 6 years ago.

Hey Mike, you misspelllled mother-in-law, Ha!

Considering the source of the critique ... I can live with my mistake.

Storm's long gone, Dave.

Nothing "pending" about Matthew.

Of course, now we got Nicole bearing down on Bermuda.

The big issue on the island now appears to be the water utilities.

The trees that came down, several thousand, were ripped from the roots. As they fell they tore up the water and sewer lines. Not all pump stations are functioning and there is a no flush request to prevent loading the system. Concerns also about restarting the system to normal pressure, in case that over loads what remains of the system and blows that out.

Storm's long gone, Dave.

Nothing "pending" about Matthew.

Of course, now we got Nicole bearing down on Bermuda.

Yes I know it's gone, Mike. That's what I meant.

It doesn't look like Nicole will be bothering Floridians though.

The big issue on the island now appears to be the water utilities.

The trees that came down, several thousand, were ripped from the roots. As they fell they tore up the water and sewer lines. Not all pump stations are functioning and there is a no flush request to prevent loading the system. Concerns also about restarting the system to normal pressure, in case that over loads what remains of the system and blows that out.

Did anyone stay out there during all that ?

Don't tell people in North Carolina it's over. Floods and raising rivers will go on for some time and hundreds of water rescues and 30 or more total dead across the path of Matthew.