Fly Tying
L. B. Fly Tyer

How to Start a Fly Tying Business?

Hello, I was wondering how to start a small fly tying operation online? As you might've read I like to tie flies for fun during my free time and sometimes would get carried away. There are some local fly fishing shops around me but I've never seen more than one person go in there in an hour. I'm thinking about selling on eBay but there is lots of competition. Should I sell multi-fly packages or just sell flies singularly? Thank you for you're reply's and Tie On!

Here are a couple of thoughts that have been expressed in the past, revolving around similar questions in the forum:

1. You are asking a bunch of people that have no idea. We tie our own, just for fun.

2. You are also asking some that have a pretty good idea. They are the competition and are not likely to give secrets away.

3. Some in the forum used to be in the latter, but currently are in the former category. Most would say it ain't worth it on different levels.

That's my very broad stroke picture. Hopefully others will fill in.

Are you nuts?

Now that's out of the way. If you really want to do this as a business I would start with a couple of local fly shops and get a feel for what's happening. Then you can move on to Ebay.

Remember, once you start, this is no longer a hobby. You will be tying because you have to, not because you want to. Especially if you are taking orders and not selling from existing stock.

I would start local if they will stock your product, it also might not be a bad idea to hit small stores that sell fishing stuff but not necessarily Flys and see if they will let you put up a display for a cut, you may be more likely to get a higher price when they do sell

Are you nuts?

Now that's out of the way. If you really want to do this as a business I would start with a couple of local fly shops and get a feel for what's happening. Then you can move on to Ebay.

Remember, once you start, this is no longer a hobby. You will be tying because you have to, not because you want to. Especially if you are taking orders and not selling from existing stock.

What he said.

I use to tie commercially and supported a family of 8 doing it. It sucked! Turned my passion into a chore I dreaded.

To start out with you can't compete with overseas tiers and make any money. That said your best bet is to find some local fly shops that will let you put flies out on consignment and look to build a private customer base from that.and or look into tying for guides in your area..

You are going to have to do or offer something way better than what they can buy online for a $1.00-$150.

I bought some stacked deer hair bass bugs recently for $3.00 just to see what they were like,they weren't bad at all,eyes fell out real quick(easy fix) and the body wasn't real secure they would spin on the hook shank,an other easy fix...soak the belly along the hook shank with thin CA glue, problem solved. At that price I don't know why I tie. I wouldn't tie a fly like that now days for under $8.00.

I can't speak for anyone else but I can tell you how I got my start.... One of my local shops asked me one day to do a few dozen flies (and provided samples to tie from) - gradually my business (strictly a part time affair for many years) grew from there... Once I had some confidence and a tiny customer base (local anglers, a few guides, and a shop giving me orders....) I began to do fishing shows, working out of someone else's booth always... At each show I'd make and sell all three days - and usually was able to cover costs... By then (early eighties) I'd tied for several different shops and developed a modest reputation. I'd also begun doing tying classes through my local junior college (lesson plans, a bit of free advertising - the whole nine yards - but just night-time adult education stuff) and started a bit of tech writing (small filler pieces) for a national magazine on fishing stuff... After the tying classes ended I continued by doing a free tying night for local fishing club members at one of the shops I was tying for..... and to this day anything for a fishing club or kids outfit (boy scouts, schools, etc.) is strictly free on my part.

Along the way I began to branch out a bit and went to shops within one hundred miles of my house, showing a range of samples if they were interested... All of this was strictly tying to order - I never even thought of tying, then trying to sell my handiwork (and that's been true for all of my tying work). As shops came and went I finally got professional about things and signed on to do my excise tax and all the other little items (business license, tax number, etc.) that go along with getting properly established... I was also building rods for the occasional local angler (never for shops...). By the mid-eighties I was lucky enough to replace Tim Borsky when he left the shop in the Keys that he'd been tying for. The owner there, Randy Towe, was one of the top fly fishing tarpon guides and actively fishing his anglers in the big three tarpon tournaments. Since he knew exactly what he needed as I filled orders for him my own work improved -and that led directly to a shot at contract tying for Umpqua Feather Merchants in the late eighties (thank you Raz Reid for the recommendation....).

When I came back to guiding on a full time basis in 1996 I found that I had less and less time to do production tying. In fact just a few years ago I pretty much hit the wall and haven't filled a fly order for a shop now in two or three years... Remember as well that I've never done anything other that saltwater stuff - the freshwater world is even more competitive (if that's possible) and anything being sold on line is probably being made overseas...

None of this answers your basic questions - but it should give you some insight into how it's possible over time to build up a pretty fair business. When I was going strong I was filling orders for as many as three shops at the same time -but it was never more than a part time proposition. Anyone tying full time (someone like A.K. Best, for instance) is working hard and not making a lot of money... For an idea on how to sell what you've already tied go to every shop in your area (both dedicated fly shops and big box outfits that also offer fly stuff) and look closely at how their displayed, their price points, and remember that they probably paid less than half of whatever markup you're seeing.... If all else fails tie up a small assortment that you'd buy if you weren't tying your own and see if they sell - and how much money you generate for a given amount of labor (since your labor is what you're actually selling...). Me, I was always trying (and not always succeeding) in generating around $20 per hour for my work.... Hope this helps.

Not to be a jerk but aren't you pretty new at this? From your other posts it seemed to me that you are still a beginner. I am not saying your flies are no good. They probably catch fish just fine...but are they professional grade flies? Most people are looking for solid quality flies and your photos would have to reflect that. Consistently tied quality flies are key or you shouldn't even bother.

I am not saying you can't get to that stage eventually but before you build any kind of business you need to make sure you have product people want.

Good luck

J

I am not saying you can't get to that stage eventually but before you build any kind of business you need to make sure you have product people want.

what jokey said + the quality people expect

What quality do you look for? I tie on stainless steel hooks, use non lead tying materials, and cover the heads on all of my flies with cement. Should I double coat the heads with cement?

What quality do you look for? I tie on stainless steel hooks, use non lead tying materials, and cover the heads on all of my flies with cement. Should I double coat the heads with cement?

In a nutshell they need to look better and be tied better than the flies you see at your local fly shop. Especially if you are asking for more money.

If you don't me asking how old are you?

I started tying for friends and then their friends I moved up to a store and added resorts. This took time, but if you can sit down and tie a hundred flies in one sitting you have the stuff. You really have to like tying I would commercial tie and then to slow down I would tie my own flies. I still do friends but most of my tying is for my shop now.

ron

I would start by making a post on here introducing yourself and tell us where abouts in the world you are and let us see some of your work, than we can offer more specific advice.