Fly Tying
870ExpressMag

hook substituting and hook eye question

Hmmm, JStockards 3x long curved nymph hook is a 430 but with a straight eye, the 720 is 2x long. I figured that the 430 was close to the following, though this has a down eye ( course non of this speaks of actual length ):

Dai-Riki-285 Nymph Hook

closed.gifBACK TO DAI-RIKI HOOKS

Dai-Riki%20285%20Hook%20Sizes.jpg

Application: This hook features a 3x long heavy wire with a natural bend to give a more natural look to your flies. EYE: DOWN WIRE: HEAVY

Dai-Riki%20285%20Hook.jpg

LENGTH: 3x LONG BEND: REVERSED FINISH: BRONZE SIZES: 6 THUR 20

dai-riki_320_small.gif DAI-RIKI HOOK COMPARISON CHART dai-riki_320_right.gif

I read every post but only comprehended blah blah blah blah blah. Keep things simple and use any hook you want. Most every knock off hook has comparison charts for you to match the hook hatch. What I did was I went through a dry fly book and noted that two very popular hooks in a lot of the patterns were mustad 94840 and 7957b. So I bought them and use them for almost all my dry flies. I've since learned to use the same looking hooks from other companies.

I read every post but only comprehended blah blah blah blah blah. Keep things simple and use any hook you want. Most every knock off hook has comparison charts for you to match the hook hatch. What I did was I went through a dry fly book and noted that two very popular hooks in a lot of the patterns were mustad 94840 and 7957b. So I bought them and use them for almost all my dry flies. I've since learned to use the same looking hooks from other companies.

Simple can be a good thing !

thanks for the info guys, i appreciate it. i will try to be less OCD and just compare stuff instead of trying to use exactly everything theyt use in the videos.

JS would be the 720 or 720H if you want a heavy wire form of that profile.

Dai-Riki is the 285

And although I am at the Tight Lines Fly Fishing shop in Parsippany, NJ evey week and do drop more than a few quid there, they are in no way affiliated with Tightline Productions that makes the great videos. Tim from Tightline Productions is more closely tied to Shannon's Fly Shop in Califon, NJ.

ok- one last question as im just trying to figure out the "whole picture". The 720H hook fits the profile and the heavy wire of the 285, but is only 2XL instead of 3XL. Now to me this doesnt seem like much, but the pattern is a beadhead pattern, will i need the extra length of the 285?

Take Mikes advice & look at eide's site, it's called hooks.org or something! I just buy what ever i want cos' i do what ever i want! Could get real expensive if you follow everything exact!

JS would be the 720 or 720H if you want a heavy wire form of that profile.

Dai-Riki is the 285

And although I am at the Tight Lines Fly Fishing shop in Parsippany, NJ evey week and do drop more than a few quid there, they are in no way affiliated with Tightline Productions that makes the great videos. Tim from Tightline Productions is more closely tied to Shannon's Fly Shop in Califon, NJ.

ok- one last question as im just trying to figure out the "whole picture". The 720H hook fits the profile and the heavy wire of the 285, but is only 2XL instead of 3XL. Now to me this doesnt seem like much, but the pattern is a beadhead pattern, will i need the extra length of the 285?

They're something like $1.75 for 25 or $2.85 for 50, so it's not like you're gonna break the bank over the decision. You gotta bite the bullet on some hook is all, you're gonna drive yourself nuts !.

Like Dave G. said, buy a box of 50 Dai-Riki 285 for under six bucks.

And a note to those looking to buy JS hooks. JS is running out their old stock and many of the patterns are limited in sizes. JS will be coming out with a new line of hooks in the near future and from what I have been told, they will have a jig hook pattern, which I am looking forward to trying.

with the lack of sizes at jstockard, thats why i went to the fly shop website for their brand of basically the same hooks. they had the complete range of sizes

Like Dave G. said, buy a box of 50 Dai-Riki 285 for under six bucks.

And a note to those looking to buy JS hooks. JS is running out their old stock and many of the patterns are limited in sizes. JS will be coming out with a new line of hooks in the near future and from what I have been told, they will have a jig hook pattern, which I am looking forward to trying.

I always thought Dai-Riki were priced fairly decent , better than some out there. I tend to kind of stick within brand names, then I know exactly what I'm getting and it's generally repeatable.