Fly Tying
SilverCreek

“Cleaning Up” with Mop Flies

In addition to dust mops, look for car washing mitts, bath mats, toilet seat covers, stuff like that. Bed Bath and Beyond is another good source. You just have to keep your eyes open.

I don't know if these mops, rugs, etc., are made with a different kind material or not, but couldn't you just use chenille instead? I realize a mop would make hundreds of flies for practically nothing, but I already have a lot of various kinds and colors of chenille that I don't tie with much anymore and would love to use them up.

Joe

To me the mops seem more dense and therefore more stiff than chenille. Perhaps the fish would like the movement of the chenille, but when you cut the chenille the end is free to fray and unravel. The stuff I have uses a core of cotton and can not be melted to stop the fraying.

If the chenille can be twisted to the point that it starts to wrap around itself, then both ends can be tied to the hook. This would stop the fraying and may work just fine.

I'm thinking the Mop fly will go the way of the Honey Bug, the Meat Ball, and to some extent the Woolley Bugger I cant speak for the Honey Bug but I know the Meat Ball fly only lasted a few years, and the Woolley Bugger well all I can say is I don't catch nearly as many fish on it now as I did years ago.

I caught several brown trout on the Cumberland river last year using a green one.

That's good info to know.Thanks! I have caught several nice rainbows there but still trying for a big brown and a brook.I will probably go wade the new hatchery creek in a few weeks.Give some of the campers time to move out of there.

I don't know if these mops, rugs, etc., are made with a different kind material or not, but couldn't you just use chenille instead? I realize a mop would make hundreds of flies for practically nothing, but I already have a lot of various kinds and colors of chenille that I don't tie with much anymore and would love to use them up.

Joe

They make a real thick chenille.To me it looks the same as my car wash mitt or those dust mop's.I don't see why it wont work.If the end is unraveling...a drop of super glue should fix it.

This even made UK papers. My father in law hoping for a box full for Christmas.

I reckon the mop folk looking for some increase sales.