Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
WyoRich

Best Price on Goose Biots?

Where is the best place to stock up on goose biots? I've looked at eBay and a few retailers and the price varies considerably.

Well, certainly here, it is about that time of year, how much is a shot gun cartridge? Seriously if you, or someone you know shoots, a wing will provide a lifetime supply.

Cheers,

C.

Honestly, this is one of the *very* few feathers where I've found that a craft store variant works just as good as the stuff from the fly shop.

Mind you, I'm just using black ones for stonefly tails, but in that use, I found a pack of them at a Michaels or something with more than I'll ever use, for under $5.

Awesome, next time I'm around a craft store I'll take a look. Stonefly tails are what I'm needing them for as well.

I got my packs from Gander Mountain for a couple bucks a pack ... but since they've re-organized, I don't know if they still have them or not. I am as cheap as anybody when it comes to buying material ... but biots are so inexpensive, looking for the lowest price is like searching for a, say, 2002 penny in your change jar.

Where is the best place to stock up on goose biots? I've looked at eBay and a few retailers and the price varies considerably.

Depends on what they are going to be used for. For abdomens, I tend to go with dyed goose biots from Nature's Spirit because they match, much more accurately, the abdomens of the Mayfly or Caddis pattern I wish to tie:

http://www.worleybuggerflyco.com/naturesspiritt/ns_stripped_goose_biots.htm

At one time, awhile back, Hareline offered Stalcup's Premo Goose Biots, which were hand picked and the longest I have ever come across. The BWO color was unmatched and I fortunately have a couple of packs. If one wants them for general tailing, legs or wings, the craft store stuff is ok...Otherwise...nope

PT/TB

Depends on what they are going to be used for. For abdomens, I tend to go with dyed goose biots from Nature's Spirit because they match, much more accurately, the abdomens of the Mayfly or Caddis pattern I wish to tie:

At one time, awhile back, Hareline offered Stalcup's Premo Goose Biots, which were hand picked and the longest I have ever come across. The BWO color was unmatched and I fortunately have a couple of packs. If one wants them for general tailing, legs or wings, the craft store stuff is ok...Otherwise...nope

PT/TB

PT

FYI,

Shane's Mom would sit at the kitchen table and handpick all of those goose boots.

Of course, Shane is gone now and his mother is a bit older. Shane is also not around to dye those biots.

She also was the one who made Medallion Sheeting.

Kimo

wink.png

PT/TB

PT
FYI,
Shane's Mom would sit at the kitchen table and handpick all of those goose boots.

Of course, Shane is gone now and his mother is a bit older. Shane is also not around to dye those biots.
She also was the one who made Medallion Sheeting.

Kimo

Mom did a good job...wink.png

split-case-baetis_4__zpsl5dviefz.jpg

PT/TB

Wow, I had no idea Shane was gone. I dropped my micro latch-hook tool on the carpet about 5 years ago. I have not been able to make it work to the tied legs people loved on my semi realistics. Just the little half-hitch would look like a bug's knee. I need to find a new tool.

I would have to soak his biots for 2-3 days then try to half them on that tool...It would drive you nuts for hours. Those i gave sets of tied biots to would freak if they knew how long i spent making those for them. It is a labor of love.

I wonder how much he spent getting them to me???

Yeah I picked up a package today at JoAnnes - they only have black = $3.49 for 20 strips.... that should last a while :)

clarkii.

Yeah I picked up a package today at JoAnnes - they only have black = $3.49 for 20 strips.... that should last a while smile.png

clarkii.

Soak them in water before you tie with them just to be sure the color is set. You might get lucky.

Yeah I picked up a package today at JoAnnes - they only have black = $3.49 for 20 strips.... that should last a while :)clarkii.

Soak them in water before you tie with them just to be sure the color is set. You might get lucky.

I will be soakin'em in da river ;)

clarkii.