Fly Tying
Brodrash

Skagit Casting and a Paddleboard

Sounds like Brodrash needs to borrow a friend's spey rod or check out a demo from the local pro shop, then take the paddleboard for a test drive

I've overlooked the last few replies in this thread somehow lol.

FRN, I was going to ask if there is a place that rents spey and switch rods so you can give it a shot. If there is I doubt there are any places near me lol. It would be great to give it a shot though and see if I want to purchase my own and start learning how to cast!

Vicente, So a if a 5 wt switch needs a 7wt shooting head that same 5wt would have the "backbone" of a 7wt one hander right? I mean when you get a fish on it will feel like the fish is on a 7wt and not flex as much as it would with a 5wt?

I don't own a switch rod just long single handed rods one being a 9'10 4 wt, the other is a 10 ft 8 wt. I a pretty good amount of roll type casting using both hands with the 5wet and am sure I could user the 8wt the same way as long as I don't push it to hard. I just prefer longer single hand rods. Steve would be the man to talk to about comparing the two styles. I personally think normal overhead casting is the way to go from a paddle board.

You are right when it comes to the paddleboard, im starting to abandon that portion of the idea!

"So a if a 5 wt switch needs a 7wt shooting head that same 5wt would have the "backbone" of a 7wt one hander right? I mean when you get a fish on it will feel like the fish is on a 7wt and not flex as much as it would with a 5wt?"

I'm no expert, but it's my understanding that a spey or switch rod that is currently sold as a particular weight, say an 6 wt, will use 6 wt scandi or skagit or switch line. However, if you decide to use a standard weight-forward line, then you need 2 or 3 weights heavier ..... an 8 or 9 wt in this example.

When switch rods were first developed some were rated as to what standard weight-forward line to use. A 7 wt switch rod used 7 wt standard weight-forward line. Some were rated for the scandi or skagit line they needed, which was heavier than standard line. It was all very confusing. Now most manufacturers use this latter method. They list a rod weight that reflects the spey or switch line to use for these lines usually outperform most weight forward lines. They also give a "grain window" line weight recommendation. Generally one wants to use line that is on the low end of the weight recomendation when using light flies and on the high end when cast heavy stuff.

For most freshwater fish except pike, musky, salmon and steelhead, a 4 or 5 wt switch rod will work just fine.

I just joined the forums so this reply is a little late in coming but I typically fish from a SOT kayak (both fly and spin gear) and one of the clear advantages of being mobile on the water is that you don't have to cast as far which may negate the need for a spey rod. With no motor you're also very stealthy and in many cases you can halve your casting distance without any major drawbacks to presentation, especially in stillwater. I've seen a lot of paddleboards around the area that I kayak and one thing I've noticed is that they're much more stable than you might expect and you should have no issues with stability if you buy the wider board. However remember that you need to lock all your gear down on the board because if you take a tumble you're going to lose a lot of possibly expensive gear.

Just go fish for God's sake! I swear, I'm ready to pick up a five and a half foot solid fiberglass rod with a Zebco 303, 17 pound mono and a can full of nightcrawlers.

"Can I fish with X gear off X platform for X species on XX date in XX location with X fly in X temperature of water"

Just go do it, if it doesn't work, you'll find out soon enough. If it does work, great, you'll probably be able to make a blog or put up a youtube video and you will be a hero to 4 or 5 people.

What has happened to the spirit of adventure in our outdoor sports? Go do it. If your gear isn't perfect, adapt and overcome. Don't let anyone tell you "oh that won't work" or "you need 14 more grains of mass in your FuhSkaggitHead line on your two handed switch spey tenkara asshat rod to make it work right" Just GO FISHING for Christ's sake, and have fun, maybe even learn something along the way.

Jszymczyk, Although I agree with your statement, "Don't let anyone tell you that won't work" I don't have a crock of money to waste on a " two handed switch spey tenkara asshat rod" and a paddleboard. Nor do I have the ability to borrow or rent either a switch rod or a paddle. So instead of dropping the hundreds of dollars and saying "hope this works", I came here and asked people who had experience with two handed rods, and some who had experience fishing from a paddleboard.

With all of their opinions and personal accounts in mind I formulated my own opinion. You see, I subscribe to the belief that a wise man learns from his mistakes but a wiser man learns from the mistakes of others. Personally I see no harm in asking, hell who knows maybe some guy had the same idea as me and it was a life changing event, or maybe it was one of his most terrible fishing experiences ever.

As I mentioned earlier, I see no problem in asking, and I most certainly do not let other people's opinion control my life (except my wifes LOL) The truth is this forum is full of guys with a lot of knowledge I would be stupid not to tap into it.

Sorry if I pissed in your cheerios that was never my intent,

Brody

Brodrash, don't take JS too seriously. He just gets on a rant sometimes.

It's a Coastie thing ... they aren't happy unless they have something to complain about.

I'm on your side with this. Yes, it's one thing to go out and get your own experience, but it's more expensive than adventurous. When you have the wealth of knowledge that this site does, it would be silly to NOT ask others about their experiences.

Thanks Mike, and don't worry I tend to not take people on the internet to seriously and always try to give them the benefit of the doubt. I know I like to get on a good rant every once in a while I just pick a different website to perform such rant. LOL

I took no offense from JS's comments, and I hope he takes none from mine!

Thanks Mike, and don't worry I tend to not take people on the internet to seriously and always try to give them the benefit of the doubt. I know I like to get on a good rant every once in a while I just pick a different website to perform such rant. LOL

I took no offense from JS's comments, and I hope he takes none from mine!

No offense here-- you have to work a lot harder, or say something about my Mom, to offend.

From the initial question, it seems reasonable to ASSume (as if that is ever not a trap...) that you probably have some experience with either a fishing from a paddleboard, spey casting, or both, and wanted to combine the two---- NOT start out trying to combine two separate endeavors in which you don't already participate... That just seems strange to me. My thought process would be you enjoy fishing from your paddleboard, and now want to try a different method.... OR you are a competent spey caster, and you are intrigued by paddleboard fishing and maybe want to combine the two... It didn't occur to me that someone would want to begin two new complex processes in unison. My bad.

So the only reasonable answer to "Can I spey cast from a SUP?" is absolutely YES, you CAN do it. You CAN paint watercolor landscapes while skydiving too.

And, take Mike's observations to heart, if I'm saying it, it probably isn't worth hearing.

Brodrash, Check out youtube "Paddle boarding for steelhead with fly rod " Guy is a bit different but the video answers your question.

Les

And, take Mike's observations to heart, if I'm saying it, it probably isn't worth hearing.

LOL I wouldn't go THAT far. You're Coast Guard, not Navy. SOME of what you say is worth listening to.

JS, Judging by the way your typing of the word assume, and your prior service in the military you know that ASSume is actually an acronym. I just had been looking at paddleboards and two handed rods, and thought "why not both haha"

Lesg, I came across that video a while back, I for one find Captain Quinn entertaining, he has tons of steelhead and salmon fishing videos if you are interest.

Mike, Im guessing you're a Marine? My Dad was in the Navy so I have heard all about you Marines! lol