Fly Tying

bream is a common name in the usa

http://www.outdooralabama.com/bream-sunfish-0

I stand corrected... so it's just me and my fellow fishing buddies that don't use that term I guess... haha. Either way, I think it's a correct term, just not one I'm used to hearing. That's all.
If you worked/lived in TX and never heard the word "Bream" you must live under a rock and not get out much... ;)

I travel for a living all over the the southern United States,TX,LA,GA,AL,FL,....Everyone I've fished with calls them Bream,Gills, or Panfish. Only us anal fly fishermen would worry about what subspecies they were.

They can also be labeled as "Fun to catch & Delicious to eat"

:)

I don't think I've ever heard anyone in CA refer to pan fish as bream.

Well that's because you are from CA. and I can say that because I was raised there.

;)

Most of family still lives there and you couldn't drag me back with team of wild horses.

People ask me are you from Texas?

And I reply "No but I got here as fast as I could"

These are the jokes folks.

Haha I would like to leave here sometime in the next couple years. Maybe AR just hope my house here keeps getting more expensive.

My father grew up in SE NC, and I grew up in MD. Dad called them "Sunnies", but had told me his father & brothers called them bream or brim. Dad knew they were Bluegills too. I also called them Bluegills, (being one of those anal fly fishermen rolleyes.gif ) and most folks I associated with in MD called them Bluegills or "Sunnies", but I occasionally met folks in MD, both natives & transplants who called them bream or brim. (Really just how they pronounce the word!)

IMO, as folks move around & get used to the local terminology, some adapt, others just stick with what they're heard growing up.

If my Dad & others had not mentioned "bream or brim" to me when I was younger, it's likely I wouldn't know how widely used it was.

My Dad's father, my grandfather, called LM Bass "Green Trout". He said "brim" to refer to Bluegills, but called all in that related family, brim. Crappies, he called "specks" and I remember him saying to me "ya all call them "Croppies"! A Pickerel to my grandfather was a "Jack" which is also a popular term in the south. laugh.png

I've heard Sunnies and Green Trout in my travels

What about "Red Fish" being called the poor mans/rednecks "Bonefish"?

I stand corrected... so it's just me and my fellow fishing buddies that don't use that term I guess... haha. Either way, I think it's a correct term, just not one I'm used to hearing. That's all.
If you worked/lived in TX and never heard the word "Bream" you must live under a rock and not get out much... ;)

I travel for a living all over the the southern United States,TX,LA,GA,AL,FL,....Everyone I've fished with calls them Bream,Gills, or Panfish. Only us anal fly fishermen would worry about what subspecies they were.

I didn't say I never heard of the term, just thought it wasn't common. I didn't fish with many people in fresh water when I lived there, just myself. Was there for about 2 years moving 3 times, from corpus Christy to Austin to San Antonio. I made friends in corpus that fished, but that was mostly ocean. Fished by myself mostly in Austin and San Antonio. Whenever I heard someone comment on these fish it was bluegill. But yeah. No rock...

Not trying to argue, just making an observation, this is why I said "I stand corrected". Sorry this turned into a big deal, not trying to be "anal" about terminology. I don't care if someone calls it a bluegill, bream, or a panfish... Just made a comment that I don't hear it often.... :).

I don't think I've ever heard anyone in CA refer to pan fish as bream.

Well that's because you are from CA. and I can say that because I was raised there.

;)

Most of family still lives there and you couldn't drag me back with team of wild horses.

People ask me are you from Texas?

And I reply "No but I got here as fast as I could"

These are the jokes folks.

Yeah I grew up in CA as well, and I haven't lived there in years. I don't like the Bible of a rule book you must memorize in order to fish and hunt.

"All fish must be taken from between point A, and B, while using artificial bait and barbless hooks. All this while standing on your head and singin koombaya. If a fish is take with fishing line over 8lb breaking strength, then you must mark it in a book you can purchase for $2,768.99 with the date, time, sex of the fish, lifespan, your social security number, banking numbers, and a promise to give your first born child to the state before the age of 18."

Above is how I read the rules of CA fishing.... My version isn't far from the actual rules laid out in the book. At least how it was 5 years ago.

I didn't say I never heard of the term, just thought it wasn't common. I didn't fish with many people in fresh water when I lived there, just myself. Was there for about 2 years moving 3 times, from corpus Christy to Austin to San Antonio. I made friends in corpus that fished, but that was mostly ocean. Fished by myself mostly in Austin and San Antonio. Whenever I heard someone comment on these fish it was bluegill. But yeah. No rock...

Not trying to argue, just making an observation, this is why I said "I stand corrected". Sorry this turned into a big deal, not trying to be "anal" about terminology. I don't care if someone calls it a bluegill, bream, or a panfish... Just made a comment that I don't hear it often.... :).

Just teasing/messing with you a little...hard to tell on the net sometimes.

So where do you live now Yankee?

;)

Just teasing/messing with you a little...hard to tell on the net sometimes.

So where do you live now Yankee?

;)

New Mexico, soon to be Colorado

If you worked/lived in TX and never heard the word "Bream" you must live under a rock and not get out much... wink.png

smile.png

Actually, all the years I've been in and out of Texas (Houston and Dallas/Ft. Worth), I've never heard any of them refer to Sunfish as Bream.

But they DID refer to all of them as an even more idiotic name ... "perch". ALL of the sunfish species were lumped together as "perch".

I showed them a picture of a REAL Perch, and they argued that Texas Perch were different.

Oh well.

If you worked/lived in TX and never heard the word "Bream" you must live under a rock and not get out much... wink.png

smile.png

Actually, all the years I've been in and out of Texas (Houston and Dallas/Ft. Worth), I've never heard any of them refer to Sunfish as Bream.

But they DID refer to all of them as an even more idiotic name ... "perch". ALL of the sunfish species were lumped together as "perch".

I showed them a picture of a REAL Perch, and they argued that Texas Perch were different.

Oh well.

Haha! I've heard them call that as well. Funny what different things are called in different places. I was in Tennessee when I was like 7 years old and I remember them telling me to "cut off the light" when they wanted me to turn it off. Also, giving someone a lift (as driving them in their car) was called carrying... "jump in, ill carry ya to the store".

smile.png

Oh well.

Kinda like they do with soda/pop with all of it being called coke.

Oh yea more on topic that's a great looking fly mcfly on going to have to try and tie one up if I have something close to the materials

My father grew up in SE NC, and I grew up in MD. Dad called them "Sunnies", but had told me his father & brothers called them bream or brim. Dad knew they were Bluegills too. I also called them Bluegills, (being one of those anal fly fishermen rolleyes.gif ) and most folks I associated with in MD called them Bluegills or "Sunnies", but I occasionally met folks in MD, both natives & transplants who called them bream or brim. (Really just how they pronounce the word!)

IMO, as folks move around & get used to the local terminology, some adapt, others just stick with what they're heard growing up.

If my Dad & others had not mentioned "bream or brim" to me when I was younger, it's likely I wouldn't know how widely used it was.

My Dad's father, my grandfather, called LM Bass "Green Trout". He said "brim" to refer to Bluegills, but called all in that related family, brim. Crappies, he called "specks" and I remember him saying to me "ya all call them "Croppies"! A Pickerel to my grandfather was a "Jack" which is also a popular term in the south. laugh.png

smile.png

Oh well.

perfect observations of how stupid it can be to try to have any reasonable conversations using "common" names of animals. At least quickly come to an understanding of what creature you are discussing using the correct binomial then agree to call it whatever you want...

Bluegill (Lepomis machrochirus)do belong, like almost every other fish pursued with hook and line, to the order Perciformes from which the name "Perch" is derived.

So to call what we commonly call a bass a Sunfish isn't entirely wrong, or to call a Sunfish a Perch isn't entirely wrong, it just doesn't mean anything useful.

Just north of where I grew up, around Chautauqua Lake in NY, they call both black and white crappies "Calico Bass" ... Who knows why.

If you think it's bad with fish, you haven't spent any time with insects...