Fly Tying
Piker20

Dressing and Skinning knife.

For anything that weighs in over 20Lbs. I would recommend a double handle fleshing knife. Look under coroners knives. A very rounded fist grab blade (i can't remember the real name...it was Latin) works but is more apt to bite you.

These 2 instruments are razor sharp (if you get good ones).

If you want more horrific descriptions of ways to shed flesh...I think we should go PM.

Both I and any person that is or has trapped, know that a fleshing knife, either single or double handled fleshing knife is not used for skinning or field dressing. A fleshing tool is used to scrape the remaining fat and flesh from a hide after it is skinned and before stretching.

The D.H.Russell Canadian Belt Knife. I have had one of these for 30 years. I've used on Moose, Bear, Beer, Geese, Ducks, Rabbits, Groundhog. I've tried to skin squirrel, but it is a bit big. They also make a Tout & Bird Knife. It is a bit smaller than the original. A good friend of mine has this one and loves it. That being said, my niece gave me an Old Timer Sharpfinger. This is reasonably priced and it holds a shaving edge.

Michael

Bark river makes a great knife. Essee makes a really great knife as well I got my brother a 4inch one for his deployment a couple years ago he loves it.

I have this for sale right now on a different board. This is a true skinner. Damascus blade and heavy duty sheath by our own josephcsylvia. Handmade hardwood handle with engraving and through tangs full length. This is a very heavy blade.

DSC01614_zps79zyr01x.jpg

Both I and any person that is or has trapped, know that a fleshing knife, either single or double handled fleshing knife is not used for skinning or field dressing. A fleshing tool is used to scrape the remaining fat and flesh from a hide after it is skinned and before stretching.

All i know is that that around 1996 i tried to get a job at a cow butchering plant in Garden City KS. If they still do it the same way, stop in and look. I gave-up after several weeks of being placed into different positions and went home...My Great Uncle who owned them laughed at me. It was a tornado out-break one after-noon that really sent me running.

What they used to scrape the hides was more of bowed razor...it made an oblong loop that you dragged downward on the hide. Try up and you slice the hide. I actually got kinda good at that but was too slow and was moved again.