Fly Tying
Mike West

Southern US Fly Fishing..warmwater minnow patterns..?

low fat minnow?

yep...

Yep those are on my "to do" list just need to go shopping.

Thx everyone for all the suggestions so far.

low fat minnow?

yep...

Here are two patterns that are 1.75 inches, one - more silver- tied with Hackle Flash purple and the other with Gold Polar Chenilledsc00575.jpg

low fat minnow?

yep...

Here are two patterns that are 1.75 inches, one - more silver- tied with Hackle Flash purple and the other with Gold Polar Chenilledsc00575.jpgdsc00569.jpg

Came up with these so far. Hit the local fly shop up yesterday and they had a bunch of reduced for sale buckets full of stuff.

Picked up some Laser Dub, Ice Dub,Artic Fox, Zonker strips,living eyes and some EP fibers which I've never bought before because I always deemed them too expensive..everything was like 30%-40% off and I still spent $60.

I got these wet and they slim down really nice.

Tied on a Gamakatsu SL45 size 6 They end up about 1.5" total in length. I know these are going to be Crappie killers.

IMG_8074_zpsizzib9hs.jpg

IMG_8073_zpsznxgwuls.jpg

IMG_8072_zpsrx62bhic.jpg

IMG_8076_zpsy1ywytpw.jpg

Forgot one fly that's our go to bug when there's lots of "rain bait" being worked (correct name would be bay anchovies, from tiny all the way up to around three inches long at maturity in the fall.... -they're also called glass minnows). This bug is a staple for baby tarpon for us - and at times the giant tarpon are feeding on them as well (the giants, though, aren't eating them one at a time - they're gulping mouthfulls, and appear very casual as they broach up to gulp..).

At any rate it's nothing more than a saltwater version of a wooly bugger with beadchain eyes (or mono eyes when you want the bug to suspend). We commonly do them in size #4 or #2 (occasionally as small as a #6...) and have filled orders for them up to a 1/0..... Standard color (for me) is just white/pearl, but will also do them in a host of other colors - pics to follow....

This pattern is called a Crystal Schminnow - and it was originated by Norm Ziegler.... His version is a bit different but very effective. He owns and operates a fly shop over on Sanibel Island... http://www.normzeiglersflyshop.com/

I've never met him but this pattern might just be the best small minnow pattern I tie....

post-30940-0-73363800-1478088585_thumb.jpg

post-30940-0-67743700-1478088628_thumb.jpg

post-30940-0-36279100-1478088660_thumb.jpg

post-30940-0-41568400-1478088678_thumb.jpg

post-30940-0-02268000-1478088696_thumb.jpg

Very good ties. Wooly Bugger type flies, Clousers and Deceivers all can be modified to your needs. The Captain makes a vital point: different weight eyes fot different depths. You can use bead chain, dumbells, aluminum dumbells, or clear cure goo dumbells for different depths. Or use different fly lines. I have had luck with plain old Wooly Buggers. Bass can be single minded during a minnow blitz and ignore a live minnow if it is not the same type! (Don't ask how I know!)