Fly Tying
Mike West

Southern US Fly Fishing..warmwater minnow patterns..?

Here's another I just cut off my rod. A size 10 where the under body is a sparkle black and green braid.

post-59266-0-38544200-1477797916_thumb.jpg

The first pattern that comes to mind is a maribou wing muddler -in the size and coloration of the local "minners". Unlike the traditional muddler with a tightly packed head I'd want it done a bit looser so that the moment it hits the water you're working just under the surface... Here's a pic of what I'm talking about (the smallest bug shown) the other two bugs are inverted muddlers in much larger sizes for imitating small finger mullet - very useful in shallow, weed-filled waters. You'll also note the wire weedguard on the small muddler - it will make a big difference in actual use where getting snagged up on something is an every other cast proposition....

post-30940-0-59341700-1477821257_thumb.jpg

post-30940-0-15174700-1477821286_thumb.jpg

post-30940-0-47495000-1477821305_thumb.jpg

I tie a super sparse variation of the ice man minnow on small 10-14 octopus hooks. Real easy quick tie. You just high tie 3 small clumps of dubbing tied in their center and folded back. Laser dub belly, ice dub lateral line, Laser Dub back. Color combos are endless, eyes are optional.

I like everything shown so far, keep em coming....I've been playing around with these the last few days.

These are to imitate shad for schooling bass I just need to scale them down a bit for Fatheads.

Made with Laser dub basically.....going to tie some more up today with some other ideas from this thread and come back later with them.

IMG_8041_zpsoitxwf3i.jpg

Adjust the colors and this could match the hatch enough to work.

SAM_1540.JPG

The fiber looks nice, is that craft fur?

Yes, it's all craft fur tied mostly reverse style except the tail and head portions.

can't load the video but check out the belly ache minnow pattern.

That's good looking fly, I like that.

I need to go spend some $$$ on materials & different colors, my selection is a little limited right now.