Fly Tying
flytire

November Flies from the Vise

Cream how are you painting your cones ?? I know its powder paint how are you holding the cone ?? Are you using a fluid bed ??

Steve-stabgnid

I wedge a toothpick or two into them, depending on what size cone or Sculpin Helmet. Hold over a candle to heat, dip in the paint, done.

So you do not bake them after you dip them ?? Seems like you would have a durability Issue with them if you don't bake them

Steve-stabgnid

Cream how are you painting your cones ?? I know its powder paint how are you holding the cone ?? Are you using a fluid bed ??

Steve-stabgnid

I wedge a toothpick or two into them, depending on what size cone or Sculpin Helmet. Hold over a candle to heat, dip in the paint, done.

So you do not bake them after you dip them ?? Seems like you would have a durability Issue with them if you don't bake them

Steve-stabgnid

Baking them adds durability, but I don't do it and see little issue in a full season of fishing powder painted parts. The way I see it, I will lose the fly before paint chipping hurts anything.

Steve-stabgnid

Steve-stabgnid

Baking them adds durability, but I don't do it and see little issue in a full season of fishing powder painted parts. The way I see it, I will lose the fly before paint chipping hurts anything.

Well it looks like I got something to try in the near future Thanks for the info !!

Steve-stabgnid

I have also been working on musky and musky flies. I have found a bit of success this November... must have made 20,000 casts.... lol

Lots of great flies here people! Happy tying over the winter.

Shane

post-10800-0-74660900-1479271921_thumb.jpg

post-10800-0-16202800-1479272000_thumb.jpg

I have also been working on musky and musky flies.

I have found a bit of success this November...

must have made 20,000 casts.... lol

Lots of great flies here people!

Happy tying over the winter.

Shane

• post-10800-0-16202800-1479272000_thumb.j
  • post-10800-0-74660900-1479271921_thumb.j

KILLER muskie flies there Shane!

Markov's Hatching Renegade

IMG_9140_zpsxxbbqqnc.jpg

IMG_9130_2_zpsqivxz7kj.jpg

IMG_9136_zpsz78nzuar.jpg

hook - Dai Riki 320 #14

thread - Danville 6/0 black

shuck - Congo Hair brown

rear hackle - brown (undersize by 1)

body - dubbing rusty orange

front hackle - grizzly

wing - deer hair bleached

Regards,

Scott

I have found a bit of success this November... must have made 20,000 casts.... lol

Shane

I've always heard that's the core of Musky fishing. One fish per 10,000 casts, or something like that.

Flytire are you going to try this ???

This guy has a great Idea but bad technique.

Try not to use a lighter (soot and burn fingers) .. Try using a heat gun or an alcohol burner

Always clean what your painting I use alcohol prep pads for when you get a shot

You have to heat them long enough so the paint is shiny after you dip them to cold paint will clump like his did and be thick to hot it will burn and form rocks so there is a learning curve..

always clean your hook eyes out while paint is warm paper clip or old bodkin works for this do this before you bake them or you'll never get them clean

You can bake your eyes for the best durability they will be rock hard .. This can be skip if you want but they will chip if you it a rock or something..

I can go on about this powder painting stuff its just awesome

Steve-stabgnid