Fly Tying
Saltybum

Good Bye EP etc.

Dollar Tree usually has a plethora of colored wigs ... and right now, should have a ton of Halloween costume hair.

I've found that the straight stuff is less than desirable ... but if you can use some imagination and find a way to "crinkle" it, it works just fine.

Wademan, bucktail is literally a different animal. No comparison at all for tying baitfish flies with synthetics that you do a lot of scissor trimming with.

This about comparing inexpensive wig hair with grossly over priced and very similar fly shop material.

Great flies Salty and a great find! I remember reading about Kanekalon awhile back, it may have been from Eastern Fly or maybe somewhere else, but it seems like a nice fiber to tie with based on the great flies I've sen with it. Is it more similar to EP or Flash Blend/Slinky Fiber?

agn54 it's hard for me to say what it is more similar to. I've used more SF blend than EP and find it close to it. Seems to have more sheen than some of my EP stuff but as far as how it moves in the water...looks very nice and it's easy enough to add in your own flash.

keep doing that and soon there will be no shops left. already because of people going else where a lot of small shops have gone under. I for one have seen a major slowdown in my shop because of it.

True! Also people buying online from the larger competative shops is making it harder for small shops, maybe eventially there will only be a couple of big online shops that charge what they want & for natural materials you get what you get? Light brown feathers instead of white because the bag says white?

keep doing that and soon there will be no shops left. already because of people going else where a lot of small shops have gone under. I for one have seen a major slowdown in my shop because of it.

I buy the hair braid and still drive more than a hour at times to shop my "local" fly shop.

Kevin

Maybe if fly fishing related tackle and gear was more affordable more people would get into the sport. More people would buy more stuff. Personally I think shops are closing because the volume of fly fishers isn't there vs a small number trying save a little hard earned income.

Most of my income these days is my VA & SSA disability and I'll do what I can to stretch my dollars.

As I tie a few more flies with the stuff I'll post them along with any fish that they fool.

I always say local shops should support its customers not the other way around. My local shop, a 20 minute drive, has lots of empty shelves, limited selection, and high prices. I'm not fervently supporting that. My other local shop, a 45 minute drive, is well stocked and has competitive prices. The difference is the latter also sells on the Internet. If the shop can't roll with the times, support it customers with selection and competitive prices then it should close. I will not feel sorry for them nor will I feel I lost something. A lot of Internet shops are somebody else's local shop. Perhaps local shops should offer wig hair, I would if my customers are looking for cheaper options. I would rather buy my wig hair in a fly shop then have to shop in a wig store because I would always walk out of a fly shop with something I didn't need as well.

I am with Poop on this one.

When I was into cycling, my local bike shop had high prices and old stock that did not move. Did not have an online store either. Anything not in stock that you wanted had to be ordered from a catalogue. There is not much of a touch and feel factor when it comes to a particular derraileur model, so I ended up doing the ordering myself from home, paying a lot less and getting it sooner.

There is an other thread where a poster swears that a certain type Macrame rope is EP fiber. I booked marked the link but don't have that PC with me

For $10 you got a ton of it, a decent color selection or you could just buy white and dye your own.

The only down side is you have to comb it out yourself. Think he said he would cut it in 12" sections then take a dog brush to it. I'm going to do it just haven't got around to it yet

There's another forum (microskiff.com) where one guy uses paracord and unbraids it and brushes it. Tried it...PIA, but it does look good. That's when I took the drive to the beauty supply store. They also had loads of wild color nail polish for $1.50 plus an assortment of other stuff that a creative tier might find a use for. Sorry Mike, I didn't see any cheap flip flops.

LOL ...

At a beauty store, Salty??? You didn't see flip flops on the "ladies" getting their toenails done?

Actually a Beauty Supply Store. No styling, cutting manicuring done there. Just selling all the hair, dyes, etc. to the beauty shops.