Fly Tying
Po0gs

Clousering for LM bass

QUOTE (SmallieHunter @ Feb 21 2005, 10:19 PM)
Use regular 'ol bead chain, the kind that you can find laying around the house. It will add just enough weight to get it down but it won't sink like a rock.

You can also try adding a wire or mono weedguard that would help a little. If your dreging through moss there isn't much you can do.

I have never seen a "Venom Simlpe Straight worm", got a picture?

Ah m8, worded that wrong. The company is Venom, its a worm that looks mere identical to my drawing, sorry, couldnt scan one atm, will tho later if the drawing is to vague. As in a straight worm, its not, but I wouldnt know what to call this as for I rarely keep the packages, and my friend gave me it from Bassmasters University.

user posted image

QUOTE (sparkleminnow @ Feb 22 2005, 04:51 PM)
Sounds, to me, like you need an olive rabbit strip streamer. Just attach a rabbit zonker strip to a hook with a mono weed guard, and give it a try.

Thanks, I made a black one of these with a zonker strip and chenille on the body for a lil more "volume"

I attached yellow at the end for more or less of an attractor

Should I just do a straight up a olive zonker strip?

Thanks.

QUOTE (SmallieHunter @ Feb 21 2005, 07:43 PM)
Chartruese over white, Grey over White are both good but my favorite is Olive with a thin black stripe over white. This is the perfect baby bass imitation.

Hey Will,

Have you got a picture up of this Olive/black/white favorite of yours. I checked the pictures you have posted in the pattern database. At least the one's listed under SmallieHunter. That sounds like a real killer.

We have to get you over here to Illinois sometime. I'd love to show you Smallie Hunting in my "back yard". The Illinois Smallmouth Alliance has it's big fund raising banquet this Saturday. We call it the "Bronzeback Blowout". Imagine 200 Smallie hunters in one room. We will have a silent auction with several guides trips on the table. And a good collection of donated flies (thanks to members of the ISA and several contributors from the FlyTyingForum).

My two favorite colors are the Chart/White and Red/White. And I use Crystal Flash on every clouser I tie.

More later,

Ken S.

Ken,

I'm actually gonna tie up some clousers here soon, I will try to remember to get a pic when I do. It's just like your normal clouser just with three colors instead of two. wink.gif

Hey, Ken. You know me from the ISA. I happen to use that same Clouser on smallies in May. I have some that are tied up, right now, but I don't have pics of any at the momonet. I guess it will be a matter of whick of us gets the photo posted first. biggrin.gif I had planned on donating flie sfor the blowout, but I just took a new job, and I've been kinda busy.

Sorry for the horrific pic(I didn't have my lighting set up) but here is the baby bass Clouser. It's just two colors on top instead of your normal one. I hope you can get the idea of it from the pic, I'm almost embarrased to post it. sad.gif

post-23-1109204832.jpg

QUOTE (SmallieHunter @ Feb 23 2005, 07:27 PM)
Sorry for the horrific pic(I didn't have my lighting set up) but here is the baby bass Clouser. It's just two colors on top instead of your normal one. I hope you can get the idea of it from the pic, I'm almost embarrased to post it.  sad.gif

Eeeps, I was gonna post my newly tied opne, nevermind! ph34r.gif

Nice tie m8.

Thanks Will,

I think it is a fine picture. I should try to get a picture of some of the donated flies we will be raffling off on Saturday. The guy who manages my local fly shop does some really nice clousers with three colors. His are rather different from yours. He binds two colors to the shank (in front and behind the eyes) and the third color is only bound in front of the eyes. They are really nice.

We should add a reply and link to your picture from the discussion on how spares to tie a clouser. I very much like your proportions.

I don't know if I have any black bucktail. unsure.gif

Ken S.

That is an interesting concept, I don't know if I have seen a Clouser tied like that. I may have to try that.

Stay tuned, I have a feeling that I know what the next "fly challenge" might be whistling1.gif

My clouser is so much thicker, tho thats just personally how I like to tie them, thats if you could even call mine a clouser, bah wheres the digital camera.

Po0gs,

I will use a heavier bodied clouser if the water is stained but for most of my fishing this is my proportions. Remember, it's not how you like to tie them, it's how the fish want you to tie them wink.gif

QUOTE (SmallieHunter @ Feb 24 2005, 06:51 PM)
Po0gs,

I will use a heavier bodied clouser if the water is stained but for most of my fishing this is my proportions. Remember, it's not how you like to tie them, it's how the fish want you to tie them wink.gif

yes, thats what I meant be how "I" like to tie them, the fish like it this way. And yes, the water is stained at this local lake of mine.

More and more I make a fool of myself tongue.gif Ah, Let the teachers teach, and the Learners learn.

Any fly has its application, everyone ties according to the conditions they fish. My Clouser might not work well in your water, vice versa. That's the great thing about tying flies, you can tie the fly to specifically match your needs. wink.gif