Fly Tying
fshng84

100% Wool Fingerless Gloves

Gloves suck, communal warmth of mittens is the ticket. I use wool mittens where the mitten part can be flapped back exposing the four fingers. I keep a hot hand pack in the mitten. When the fingers get cold back in the mitten they go. I have always fished cold weather and look forward to the ice fishing season with the same enthusiasm as the Spring striper run. I've tried every glove out there. It's mittens for me.

Great idea Poopdeck... mittens and hot hands. The design you mentioned earlier is sounding much better!

I only use wool fingerless gloves in the summer. They work great rowing the boat or pontoon to prevent blisters and sunburn. Also make it better when grabbing a fish to unhook before gently releasing. Wool or polar fleece flip-top mittens are the way I roll in winter for Nordic skiing and fishing. There is woolen mill in Buffalo, Wyoming that markets this stuff-founded a few years back to give sheep ranchers - dying industry- a place to process some really great wool. The company spins yarn and makes 100% wool products. I will locate contact information if anyone wants it......

Thanks Flat Rock native! I noticed the ones I made seem light enough for summer kayak and fishing use. Will give it a try next season. Like Poopdeck mentioned earlier, it sounds like the flip-top is the way to go.

I am interested in the contact information for company in Wyoming. Please send.

Been wanting 100% wool fingerless gloves but did not want to pay too much for them. Plus, it's tough to find ones made with 100% wool. So, made my own... not bad, only had one do over. Gloves Post.

Great comments everyone! I will take fishing over knitting but the flip top mitten and the 100% woolen mill may bring be back to knitting... at least on those days when I am stuck indoors.

When living there, I fished NE Pennsylvania many times in months when guide tips freeze up.

My solution was to fish with latex gloves.

They still allow you to feel but keep your hands bone dry while acting like a wind break. I could fish all day with dry hands.

I would take an occasional break or make a move to the next spot.

This allowed me to warm one or both hands in my pockets.

The warming hand process would be quicker today as the fishing I did was before hot hand packs were invented.

I only use wool fingerless gloves in the summer. They work great rowing the boat or pontoon to prevent blisters and sunburn. Also make it better when grabbing a fish to unhook before gently releasing. Wool or polar fleece flip-top mittens are the way I roll in winter for Nordic skiing and fishing. There is woolen mill in Buffalo, Wyoming that markets this stuff-founded a few years back to give sheep ranchers - dying industry- a place to process some really great wool. The company spins yarn and makes 100% wool products. I will locate contact information if anyone wants it......

Thanks Flat Rock native! I noticed the ones I made seem light enough for summer kayak and fishing use. Will give it a try next season. Like Poopdeck mentioned earlier, it sounds like the flip-top is the way to go.

11.12.16.jpg

Thanks Flat Rock native!

I have a friend who uses neoprene fingerless gloves in conjunction with flip top mittens. He swears by them. My hands don't do well in the cold. So i don't fish much in the winter.

I have a friend who uses neoprene fingerless gloves in conjunction with flip top mittens. He swears by them. My hands don't do well in the cold. So i don't fish much in the winter.

Can see why this works. May take top knuckles off of the full-fingered neoprenes if I get to the Big Horn in next couple of weeks. Thanks for posting.