Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Hops_N_Hooks

Need suggestion for tying demo at fly fishing club

I am doing a fly tying demonstration at my local fly fishing club and I'm not sure what to tie. They asked that I tie nymphs for southeastern tail-waters, but truthfully it can be any popular fly that works on any other tail-water in the US either.

Mostly what I fish revolves around the classic GRHE, Prince, and PT nymph. I know there are a lot of new and interesting nymphs being created and tied all the time. Is there a hot nymph on your water that you could recommend me tying?

Much thanks in advance for all your input!

JGR

Tie what you know works, and tie what you KNOW HOW TO TIE. People don't want to watch you learning new patterns. They want to watch an expert at work.

I agree with the comment to tie what you know. For example, the Prince may be common, but if if you can demonstrate and explain good technique for putting the Biots on straight, you will draw a crowd to watch you do it.

Good luck! I have found that tying for the local club is a lot of fun.

Guest rich mc

hot fly now is the mop n glo fly using the nub of a washing glove or dust mop club purists may throw tomatoes at you rich mc

I agree, tie what you know and are comfortable with. Maybe change up some materials. Instead of using turkey quill for the wing case of a GRHE, use Krystal Flash. But keep with something you are basically comfortable with.

If you have confidence in what you are tying that will show through. If you try something you are not really confident with, that will show through also and you will loose the interest of the folks who are watching.

Edited by rstaight

Thanks for the feedback. I'll try the Red Azz and the Mop and Glo. It's funny the fly patterns that always seem to evolve over time and become the "hot one."

Doing a demo isn't about tying! It is something beyond that. It is about entertainment.

Think about this a moment. Two singers, One has an amazing voice, sings like an angle, but that is all. They walk out, sing, bow and walk off stage. The other can carry a tune (without the aid of a bucket), also cracks a few jokes, will engage in a bit of banter with the audience. Which one is going to be popular around the local bars? It is not the tying, it is being able to entertain using tying. Tie things you have a story to go with.

Now the problem, What you tie you need to be able to tie while keeping up a dialogue with your audience. That isn't as easy as it seems. You need your wits about you; you don't know what questions your audience is going to throw at you. Believe me they can come up with some good ones. You can't script that sort of thing, if you can respond well then this will make a demo. Don't forget to keep tying.

My basic rules for a demo is everyone in the room should laugh, clap, and pick up one tying tip they can use. Once this is achieved you can tie something no one else in the room will be able to. You have earned the right to demonstrate your status. They will have had a good evening and you are likely to get asked back.

It is unusual to get asked back for at least a year. Therefore is you do a lot of demonstrations then you only need a new one about every year.

Please let us know how you get on. Have a great time.

Cheers,

C.