Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
j8000

Best feather for wet wing fly

Yes, in my experience pinch take a turn or two, pull down and wrap forward, if you need more thread to cover your tracks like I always do, wrap back but not past your first wrap. End at your next tie in ( like for collars etc) or whip. Just sayin.

As far as I can tell after reading all the posts the way to stop the quill slips from separating is to not put any thread wraps behind your pinch wrap. Am I getting it or still missing something?

Bingo!

Funny how I can make the same mistake so many times without catching on lol. A very small change to solve a problem !! Thanks everyone.

Les

Best two so far. Size 12 and size 16 extra long. Still got work to do. Concerned about the tag leagth, head and hackle alignment. post-59758-0-62829900-1481490662_thumb.jpgpost-59758-0-80969600-1481490730_thumb.jpgpost-59758-0-70450600-1481490796_thumb.jpg

What I'm trying to achieve !! I haven't fished traditional wets since I was a kid dragging one behind a small spinner on our local creeks but lately got interested in tying them. They worked then so why not now? Tight lines everyone.

Les

I would fish any of the flies pictured. A lot of folks stress proportion, I would work on consistency, When you can tie a dozen that look the same then work on proportion.

That's good advise. Both of those are definitely going in the fly box.

Those will catch fish. I'd look to shorten the head up a little bit. The tags you mentioned, just be real careful wrapping them, count your turns and watch to not get them out of order so they lay down one beside the other. And it becomes repeatable.. It looks like you could use some thinner thread. But none of this has to do with them catching fish, they will catch fish ! I've seem some of my least consistent flies be the ones that get the fish, more than once.

For fishing fly's, make sure that your wings are tied with the cupped/concave side facing inward, the more shiny side of the feather out. If you have them even closely matched after mounting, but not perfect, you won't have to worry about them spinning as much since the wing will be more narrow and even in relation to the hook shank. They look much nicer tied the other way, especially married quills, but they just won't fish as good unless the wing is almost flawless as far as being even, curved the same on both sides etc. Eric Austin has a really good tutorial on his site on mounting them this way here .

Regards,

Mark

dont worry about marrying the feathers for now

the example i provided was for the wing itself and can be made without marrying feathers

learn the simplest first. it takes many many attempts to get the wing right. use 2/3 the the gap of the hook for the width of the wing. that was taught to me by the master himself, don bastian

if its not right dont continue. unwrap the thread or start over. practice practice practice

leadwing coachman

Inspiring!

Need to tie up some of these flies.

A very nicely done video & Lead Wing Coachman.

I watched Matt cut the slips close by the quill & I'm assuming his thread

wraps falling on the slips are 'above' this bloodline mentioned prior?

there are 4 methods of tying on wet fly wings. use the method that best accomplishes your goals

4-styles-of-wings-silver-black-gnat-004-

https://donbastianwetflies.com/2011/03/08/wet-fly-wing-mounting-methods/

If seeing these doesn't juice you up to Tying a few...not sure anything will.

I will take those 4 to test-drive on clear Big Horn waters ASAP.

These have classy, bit understated elegance to them. Post more anytime

Interesting. I read about the different ways to tie on wings. However, Marks explanations was not mentioned. That does make a lot of sense. Perhaps I'll try the concave method tonight. Head improvement is on my list, although, I don't know if I'll use head cement on them or not. All the pictures I've seen always seems to have them cemented. Maybe I'll order some and cement them as it may be more pertinent for winged flies compared to nymphs I've ties and fished with time and time again with them holding up just fine. Smaller thread, 8/0 is on my next list for supplies. The smallest flies I tie are a size 18 griffens gnat. everything else is size 16 through 10 with an occasional 8.

Interesting. I read about the different ways to tie on wings. However, Marks explanations was not mentioned. That does make a lot of sense. Perhaps I'll try the concave method tonight. Head improvement is on my list, although, I don't know if I'll use head cement on them or not. All the pictures I've seen always seems to have them cemented. Maybe I'll order some and cement them as it may be more pertinent for winged flies compared to nymphs I've ties and fished with time and time again with them holding up just fine. Smaller thread, 8/0 is on my next list for supplies. The smallest flies I tie are a size 18 griffens gnat. everything else is size 16 through 10 with an occasional 8.

Head cement is optional, but rather than order anything in , why not pop into your local pharmacy or ( or any store with a beauty department) and get yourself a bottle of Sally's Hard as Nails, or any other clear nail polish top coat. Basically the same thing as head cement, even comes with a brush attached to the cap.

I use mostly 8/0, 6/0, 70D or 140D threads , for size 18 generally either 8/0 or 6/0 will work, depending on the brand. I use a lot of Danville 6/0 though, it sort of crosses bridges pretty well LOL !

Sally's is nail polish!!! ha, ha!!! That is why I couldn't find it in any of the fly tying sites!!! Boy, glad I'm on the beginners section. Might break into my wife's make up bag first.