Fly Tying

Homeland Security & fly rods on airplanes

Has anybody had any problem trying to carry a fly rod thru security at the airport? I'll be flying to Arizona next month and want to carry my Tenkara rod on the plane. It will be in a cloth tube and easily inspected. I would hate to have TSA give me a hassle over it.

I never had a problem with TSA. The airlines may say it's too big to fit in the overheads and make you check it with your other luggage . I highly recommend a hard case unless you can physically hold it for the entire trip. Things get smashed in the overheads and stepped on when on the floor.

I have been traveling for over a decade, putting a fly rod, a spinning rod and all the gear to fish with either rod, in my suitcase.

I have never lost a bag, nor have I ever had anything taken from my bags.

Your tenkara rod collapses enough to fit in checked luggage, put it there and you don't need to worry if it'll make it on carry one.

Do NOT carry your flies or loose hooks on. They will not let you take those, because of the points.

Like Mike I have been traveling with fly rods for about 20 years. I put some in checked baggage, and usually carry on a 39" rod tube. There might even be a couple of rods in my carry on, along with the reels. They get more concerned with scissors, in my fly tying kit, and sometimes they give my vise a visual inspection, but I have never had a problem with carry on rods. The tube will fit in the back of the overhead bin, and not many of the carry on bags fit all the way back, so it doesn't take up usable space. Even if you carry on, get a short piece of PVC pipe to keep the rod in if you don't already have a hard case.

Make sure you don't have any needle nose pliers in your carry on. They took mine in Cancun, not that it really mattered but.

I have taken a rod to Europe a few times and it was no big deal.

I make sure to bring a four piece because it nicely fits in a large suitcase or I can attach it to a backpack or other carry-on luggage. Either way, the rod travels in its tube.

As it has been said, do not try to bring any tackle or tying stuff on board. They do not like to see sharp or unusual things coming through those x-rays machines, at least in international flights. As if my beard was not enough, I would definitely be stopped and checked if I had my vise in the hand luggage.

I've brought flies on board and had no problem with TSA. A lot just depends on the inspector you get. On a trip to Belize a friend brought hemistats, but they were confiscated by TSA when returning.

BTW! The last 2 times I flew to Montana I used my passport for identification instead of a driver's license. Both times I was routed to the fast line where I didn't have to remove my shoes and no x-rays. Maybe a coincidence, but I think the passport helped.