Fly Tying
Moshup

Impressions of the International Fly tying Symposiumch

Thanks Mogup and you are correct as well Flat Rock Native. There is a difference about watching something and becoming a member of something and that difference is interaction. You can't get that with internet. If you want the invites, and the follow ups, ask yourself if you are signed up on email lists and follow on instagram and twitter. I see the interaction. But what I care about is the person to person interaction. For example all know the Clouser minnow. But do you all know that Bob Clouser originally got discovered at one of these shows by Umpqua? And do you know that most Clouser Minnows are tied wrong? See him in person and you would know the difference. Keep it positive guys and gals. We need it. Our sport needs it and our environment need those supporting it. We stand to loose more than a show or a booth or fly tier if we don't support the big picture. Off to tie a new fly idea that you won't see on the internet! :)

I have been attending the Marlboro show and once again I am very much looking forward to it. For me the one hour

drive is well worth it. I get to mingle with some of the best tier's around.

Mike

I live in a state that is not thought of for fly fishing. Can't say how many times when someone learns that I fly fish say I didn't know there was trout in Indiana.

Can't remember how far back but there was a lady that started a show for fly fishing and wing shooting. First year was very successful. Had to move it to a larger building the second year. Our club started getting a booth and it was a good time. We used it as a club outing were members tied and told lies with the folks attending. The booth space was reasonable and we were able to increase membership.

But as mentioned earlier it was pretty much the same speakers every year. Speakers through the years like Bob Clouser, Tim Holshlage, April Vokey, along with some of the local shop owners, guides, and tiers that have made somewhat of a name for themselves. But, you started hearing the same stories and tips.

After a few years you could see the attendance drop. Then the show was stopped for one year. A young man from one of the fly shops thought he would revive it. He lost is butt. Then last year it was included with the annual Boat and Travel show. Huge crowds, we thought great, but the cost of the booth was to high for the club. Plus the show runs for a week and a club cannot man a booth for a week.

I like the shows but they need to have something different each year, otherwise the attendance will bottom out due to access to the internet and you tube and such. Maybe now is the time to have shows bi-annually. Don't know, just thinkin.

I live in a state that is not thought of for fly fishing. Can't say how many times when someone learns that I fly fish say I didn't know there was trout in Indiana.

Can't remember how far back but there was a lady that started a show for fly fishing and wing shooting. First year was very successful. Had to move it to a larger building the second year. Our club started getting a booth and it was a good time. We used it as a club outing were members tied and told lies with the folks attending. The booth space was reasonable and we were able to increase membership.

But as mentioned earlier it was pretty much the same speakers every year. Speakers through the years like Bob Clouser, Tim Holshlage, April Vokey, along with some of the local shop owners, guides, and tiers that have made somewhat of a name for themselves. But, you started hearing the same stories and tips.

After a few years you could see the attendance drop. Then the show was stopped for one year. A young man from one of the fly shops thought he would revive it. He lost is butt. Then last year it was included with the annual Boat and Travel show. Huge crowds, we thought great, but the cost of the booth was to high for the club. Plus the show runs for a week and a club cannot man a booth for a week.

I like the shows but they need to have something different each year, otherwise the attendance will bottom out due to access to the internet and you tube and such. Maybe now is the time to have shows bi-annually. Don't know, just thinkin.

This year our show is the boat show. Last year had a separate area that ran 3 days. This year we are set differently.

I prefer to go to the shows to watch others tie and buy materials the local shops do not have. It is nice to take in a seminar or two but, I can not afford to travel much so there is not much need. Plus most of my fishing is done from retention ponds for bass and bluegills. I have always wanted to get out to some of the larger shows but the smaller local ones will have to do for the time being.

BDEflytier, I can't figure out how we went to the same show last weekend, and came away with such different impressions of the number of booths (vendors) and tables (tiers) who were at the show.

The floor space can be measured by the number of steel posts that run in rows throughout the exhibition space. The aisles this year were shorter by at least the distance between two posts; it was like a parking lot behind the ends of this year's aisles. Similarly, the number of aisles was smaller by two rows of posts, leaving a large area between the last aisle on the right, and the cafeteria. Furthermore, the book store (associated with the show's producers) was relocated this year from the wall in front of the aisles, into an actual aisle, therefore taking up a large section of aisle space that in other years would have been occupied by vendors and tiers.

I did not count the number of booths and tables, but I did not have to in order to see that they were less than prior years. Fewer aisles, and shorter aisles, has to mean less exhibit space (vendors and tiers).

Also, I know many of the people who had booths and tables, and I got to speak with many of them on Saturday and Sunday. Everyone with whom I spoke agreed that there was less occupied exhibit space, and that attendance was way down on both days. Some of them saw big drop offs in visitors and sales, and said they would not be back next year; while some still managed to have a good show (at least cover their expenses).

I don't know how/where you spent your time on the two days; I was at a vendor booth spending endless hours looking down a near empty aisle (although we did manage to have a successful weekend).

Every time I drive by Sommerset on the turnpike I think of the show. I was coming back from Michigan last weekend and had no idea the show was last weekend. :lol:

Maybe next year...

jimk4, I don't think the vendor you were working with would be happy that you are saying the show was slow. That will potentially affect the next years attendance and excitement level, which is my point about complaining here. If you did have successful weekend, that should be what you talk about. Isn't that the goal of the vendor? It isn't always about quantity in the customers. The producer would have a great show if 20,000 people came, but if they only spent $1 each, most exhibitors would not. If 500 people came, but each spent $1000, the producer would have a poor event, but the vendors would have a great show. It's all relative.

It is obvious from your comments that you are confusing the Fly Fishing Show and the International Fly Tiers Symposium. Two very different shows. It's obvious because the IFTS has always had open space in the back of the facility ever since it moved over from the hotel a few years ago in order to... expand. The show could not have the number of spaces in the are of the hotel as it currently does. The Angling Bookstore was never under the front area of the show at the IFTS. That is its spot in the Fly Fishing Show. They are also not associated with the producer other than the business is owned by the son of the IFTS show producer. The show producer has nothing else to do with that business other than renting the space. I was working at that booth, so I know.

You can get a rough idea of square footage by counting those poles, but the distance between the poles are not the same in the length and width. So if the dimensions are changed, that changes the way you would have to multiply for the square footage. That also doesn't take into account the spacing between tables, how many tiers get a table to themselves and how many share a table. Here are the facts: 2015 had 96 tier and 35 exhibitor booths and 2016 had 102 tiers and 40 exhibitor booths. Perhaps you should count before passing judgment. There were also another dozen or so demonstration tiers that didn't register and work with the volunteer booths and other exhibitor booths. It's the tying show. The big fly fishing show is in January that has much more going on. As I mentioned, tying is a small part of our sport.

Attendance was down on Saturday, but thats mostly because it was the last nice day that was forecast for some time, as I also mentioned. Sunday was up in attendance, but that is always a slower day. I'm sure the producers wish they could control the weather, but that's bit out of reach. Business can't always be up every day and every year. If every business out there gave up when they had a down day, I don't think any would be left open. I'm not giving my impression (other than what caused some decrease in attendance), I'm giving numbers and facts. Last I checked, 102 is bigger than 96. And, honestly, if it was the other way around, would anyone really learn less from 6 missing tiers? I envy the guys that are diligent enough to take notes, but if I learned one thing from every tier I'd forget more than I remembered either way. It only took one tier to get me a new idea I'm excited to try tying. That's the point of the show. Not to jam the hall.

Bimini, I was working at the angling bookstore. I talked to Chuck for the numbers. He is more than happy to have that data available to exhibitors. Most show operators are willing to share rather than have speculations cause rumors. I also know he has been concerned about confusion between the January Fly Fishing Show and the International Fly Tying Symposium since the move from the hotel. I didn't think that would be an issue, but it apparently is. I know many people love this event and I'd hate to see go away.

BDE,

I was asking because you seem to be pretty involved and I was wondering if you knew of any shows taking place in SE Florida and the reasons why or why not it would be an attractive locale.

Bimini15,

I do know there is some sort of conclave down in FL done by the IFFF. Don't recall where, but was once invited. The Fly Fishing Show is doing a new show in Atlanta this year that there is a lot of hype on and will be hoping to reach folks in Northern FL. I think there is some other consumer tackle show down there that has some fly fishing. That's all I know. I'd guess you can get a super cheap flight to Atlanta from down there.

I just finished reading the comments about the FFS in NJ. and I will have to admit that everybody has a good point, I'm not sure what percentage of the people that go to the show are from PA. but the first day of the show was also the first day of Black Beer Season in PA. I opted for the show, I try to get there every year but it all depends on the weather, for me its about a 2 1/2 hour drive, for me its worth it between talking to tiers a few vendors and the featured tier all in all I think its a great show. I can say I never heard about the show till about 10 yrs ago from a guy I know, a little advertisement would not hurt. I was shocked to hear that none of the tiers got paid for participating in the show.

I have given a couple fly tying demos for boy scouts troops, one father commented that not one of the kids made a sound, another father said I don't even fish and you kept my interest. But the sad fact is not one of the scouts got interested in the art of tying. I do believe the kids of today are more into games on there phones, like Phil Roberson said to his grandson You kids with your heads buried in your phones need to go to Wal-Mart and get yourself a life

It's great to see that a Fly Tying Symposium can still generate such a discussion on this board! I want to jump in and give my impressions of this year's IFTS, especially since it was my first time attending (I was invited last year but had a conflicting event).

At the IFTS, I had the opportunity to teach a tying class, give a presentation, be part of the "Meet the Blogger's" forum, and tie at my booth. All of my presentations were well-attended and the audiences were great. Many spoke with me afterward and it was great to connect with so many people. Being that I feature my tying mainly on YouTube, the IFTS was a way for me to meet many individuals that I had only previously communicated with electronically.

To respond to those on this thread talking about making it "fresh", the "Meet the Bloggers" forum was a new component and one that I had suggested to the show's Director, Mr. Chuck Furimsky. He immediately loved the idea and ran with it; Chuck was very approachable and looking for new ideas. The forum included YouTubers (Jim Misiura, Tim Flagler of Tightlines, and myself), two competition fly fishermen (Loren Williams and Josh Miller, the newest member of Fly Fishing Team USA), and Matt Grobert of Caddis Chronicles. The panel had a fun discussion and then led into an open segment where the audience could freely interact with panel members (plus each audience member received a free drink ticket!).

Related to the notion of getting younger individuals involved, I shared a booth with Josh Miller and it seemed everyone from ages 25 and younger stopped to say hi and see what he was tying. He is a presence on Facebook and Instagram, and it was obvious that those using social media knew of him and wanted to see the newest Team USA patterns.

I absolutely agree with those on this forum sharing their opinions that it's through personal interactions that we gain more knowledge, and I experienced that personally while talking with others about their patterns. I was most impressed with the sheer number of tyers that were simply available to the crowd. I found it tough to stay in my booth the entire show and made a couple rounds to see some incredible tyers, many from around the world (including South Africa, Switzerland, the Netherlands, Belgium, etc.). There were the big names we all know, but also so many incredible tyers simply sharing their passion. There were many opportunities to interact, and I believe both the spectators and tyers enjoyed it (I know I did).

Regarding the other presentations, I did not have a chance to watch but really wanted to see Theo Bakelaar (sharing his eel skins techniques) and Blane Choklett (trigger flies). The same goes for vendors, though I was able to pick up a few things that I prefer to buy in-person (i.e. Collins Hackle).

This was an incredible show from my perspective and I hope to have the opportunity to participate in it again next year. I typically attend the Fly Fishing Show in Somerset, but as a spectator (so I have time to watch the presentations!). I will be back at the IFTS and also plan on spreading the word about it because it's such a unique show. In short, it was a true "Symposium" of individuals gathered to share and talk about the craft we all love.

Tim