Fly Tying
Mike West

DIY PVC Rod Case....?

I used PVC pipe to make a case for a spinning rod with reel attached. It was the heaviest rod case ever made but it was indestructible and it needed to be. At the time it was thrown into the back of a dump truck and carted all over the place on road and off. Still have it in the basement but I have not used it in a decade at least.

Have done quite a few PVC rod tubes over the years. Painted numerous ones and added many different things to them but never tried the fake wood finish like that, looks neat I may have to try that sometime.

Plus I just like saying didgeridoos! LOL

Yeah they can be on the heavy side. Half my rods are in nice powder coated gold cap aluminum cases and the othe half are scheduled 40 PVC.

I tend to throw my rods in the back of the pick up truck I don't like doing that with my nice rod cases.

The nice rod cases or for in the house or the backseat.... PVC bed of the truck

They make a much lighter weight PVC than the normal schedule 40 weight one that is more common. Not all places carry it but some Lowes and HD stores do. It's about half the thickness and half the weight of the schedule 40 one. Makes for a much lighter rod tube.

They make a much lighter weight PVC than the normal schedule 40 weight one that is more common. Not all places carry it but some Lowes and HD stores do. It's about half the thickness and half the weight of the schedule 40 one. Makes for a much lighter rod tube.

My old DB Dunn rod case uses SDR 26, 2.375" O.D./0.091" wall thickness.

Here's some useful info on SDR plastic pipe:

http://www.petersenproducts.com/Specifications/Pipe_SDR.aspx

Smaller SDR numbers have greater wall thickness.

I've not had much luck finding single 10' lengths for sale.

One place would order me some in lots of 1,000.

Maybe others would have better luck.

I finally opted for some 10' white plastic downspout type

tubing (squarish) and so far, it's worked quite well.

And here i used the heavy black carbon reinforced pipe...No wonder USPS charged me about $40 each way. I just built it to ship my rods to Steve. Glued in clean-outs on each end so it could be unscrewed after getting sealed.

Does anyone know where to get tube made from CAP (Cellulose Acetate Propionate)? I need 1", 1.25"" and 1.5" in 1/8th inch wall.

SDR PVC comes in 21, 26 and 32 if I remember. The lower the number the stronger and heavier, but 21 is still a lot lighter than schedule 40. It is not rated for house use and is sometimes called low pressure pvc. It is used heavily in irrigation. If you live out west (in the dry places) your local hardware store may carry it. Here in Washington DC, the only place I can find it is an irrigation supply house, specifically a supply house for sprinkler systems.

You might try searching for places that carry Toro or Rainbird sprinkler heads and try there. I was recently in WV and the local Lowes had it up to 1&1/4" so I stocked up. It made for an awkward trip home, but it is so much nicer for rod tubes.

Shedule 32 is really light and not nearly as crush resistant as the other two, but if I could find some I would use it for a lot of my generic PVC tubing or for a pvc tube to protect my metal tubes.