Fly Tying
eide

December Flies from the Vise

This deer hair stacked on top of wool is on a #2/0 Mustad C70SD hook. I had this wool on the hide sitting in a drawer for 20+ years so thought I'd give it a try. It is not an easy material to work with or trim.

woolandhair2_zps6ldlwhdj.jpg

Neat effect ... like gills flaps and fins on the side. Nice pattern variation.

Rat tail grubs. Right three on straight hooks.

Bottom two rows with 1 mm Satin Rat Tail. Top row and right flies with cord I have.

Great fly under vegetation.

post-34830-0-22909400-1482595255_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the positive comments guys. The idea for this came from the saltwaterflies homepage. My hands (or brain) aren't as nimble as they used to be but I have a feeling that the wool would have bee easier to stack if I had simply turned the hook upside down and tied in the deer first and then stacked the wool with a couple of turns of gelspun from the top. Now I need to prove it. Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays.

Thanks for the positive comments guys. The idea for this came from the saltwaterflies homepage. My hands (or brain) aren't as nimble as they used to be but I have a feeling that the wool would have bee easier to stack if I had simply turned the hook upside down and tied in the deer first and then stacked the wool with a couple of turns of gelspun from the top. Now I need to prove it. Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays.

Merry Christmas to you all as well.

Johny, this is intriguing to me.

What is the intent in mixing the two materials?

I also have some old ram's wool from the time when woolhead mullet flies were the thing around here, because I also found it to be a pain to work with (chucked to my inexperience). May just have to get it out again...

Johny, this is intriguing to me.
What is the intent in mixing the two materials?
I also have some old ram's wool from the time when woolhead mullet flies were the thing around here, because I also found it to be a pain to work with (chucked to my inexperience). May just have to get it out again...

Just something I saw. My prior experience with the ram's wool was from a 1994 Popovic's class and his siliclone flys. I went through a couple tubes of ge silicone and dulled a pair of scissors and even caught a couple fish but a holy mess to deal with. In this case what I hope might happen is that the wool will absord water while the deer hair remains buoyant and basically neutralize each other.

Late to that dance by a few years, but Popovics' book is also the reason why I had the wool.

I never got as far as the silicone. I just knew I did not have the patience to deal with that sticky mess.

This deer hair stacked on top of wool is on a #2/0 Mustad C70SD hook. I had this wool on the hide sitting in a drawer for 20+ years so thought I'd give it a try. It is not an easy material to work with or trim.

woolandhair0_zpszez14caf.jpg

woolandhair2_zps6ldlwhdj.jpg

I've done the same thing before but with the hair on the bottom and wool on the top & for the same reason,trying for a netrual buoency

Nice tie

If you put the buoyant hair on the bottom of the shank, and the wool, which will absorb water, on the top, would the fly ride inverted, allowing for a weedless, hook point up, fly?

(Edited for spelling/grammar.)

If you put the buoyant hair on the bottom of the shank, and the wool, which will absorb water, on the top, would the fly ride inverted, allowing for a weedless, hook point up, fly?

(Edited for spelling/grammar.)

As is pointed out, frequently, water doesn't make materials heavier IN the water ... it only adds weight while the material is airborne.

So, the buoyancy of the deer hair/weight of the wool ratio isn't enough to offset the hook.

Giancarlo's Scow Caddis
<snip>
Regards,
Scott

May I save a copy of this Giancarlo's Snow Caddis to my local machine, to use for a desktop image for inspiration, please? Totally loving the idea of using the brown deer hair in a dubbing loop for a collar of accent color. And Merry Christmas (or Happy Holidays) to you this fine December 25th!

Great looking fly you tied up there!

-Pete

Although I hate cold weather, there is one benefit to a cold snap in Florida ... it causes a shad die off.

I'm hoping some "Soda Can Minnows" will entice a bite, if we get such a die off while I am home.

Hey Mike, perhaps this has been asked before, but how do those hold up to fish? Do they bend really easily?

My first attempt at reviving this old trick, didn't turn out as well as I thought they would. It wasn't the fish, it was the glue. It didn't take much time before the aluminum started to open up ... and then "poof" it was gone.

This time around, I made a triangular punch. I push it through, and that leave folds of aluminum on the other side. Folding that over then locks the sides together (I hope). That's what the three holes in each one are.

I'll let you know if they produce ... and if the fish tear them up quickly.