Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
nicky.50

Crab patterns

Its been awhile since I chimed in, but have been lurking a bit. Here is a crab pattern I tie for several guides. It has a weighted carapiece and hook so it falls fast and flat.

post-34574-0-31554100-1488220742_thumb.jpg

post-34574-0-56698900-1488220796_thumb.jpg

Beautiful crabs, Ben. How'd you do the legs? Anyway, it's good to see you've still got the touch. I've been away from the scene for quite a while too, (bad knees, bad fishing) but I'm making an effort to get back into it this year. I've either gotta start using up all this wool I've got lying around, or sign up for a knitting class. Hey, how did you make out with that morals charge? Did the goat testify after all?

Thanks PJ! They are called Crabby Pattys. A fly that mostly is glued together! Ive been working on the house a lot which left me little fishing time, ie less time at the vise. But Im back at it with a Tarpon trip (or lack thereof tarpon trip) coming in April. Trying to gear up for that. Morals charges were dropped because of Baaaaaaddd witnesses. See what I did there?

No tarpon yet, huh? There were a lot of them around here last summer, but having my knee give out and going over the side wasn't high on my list of things to do. Hey, congrats on the acquittal. I was in some hot water myself last year when a pig squealed on me, but she disappeared a couple of days before I threw my annual neighborhood barbecue. More than one way to beat a rap.

PJ, Gee, decided to take a lurk this afternoon and it feels like a stroll down memory lane. Maybe its time to strike up the tarpon tournament again--that would wake up the rest of the gang. Anyway, I have high hopes the slot reds will be back this year. The Potomac had a good many juveniles up to 15 inches last summer/fall. I even caught one within a boat ride of my local freshwater ramp. Kinda cool. With the mild winter maybe we'll see a resurgence like 2012/2013. Cheers. John

Hey John, great to hear from you - hope we can get together for tarpon this summer. I've got some solid info on a spot out of Willis Wharf. The 10wt's all rigged & ready, and if can get off my backside and finish putting new guides on my 12wt, it'lI be ready too. I've been "gonna get around to it" for several years now. I did manage to replace the grip that the mice ate, and I'm still recovering from the strain. I also hope that the pups will show up in force - the past couple of years have been dismal. I only saw ice on the marsh once this year, and it was gone in a couple of days. Gotta think positive.

post-281-0-58086300-1490644010_thumb.jpg

** Erk **

** Huh **

Did I here someone mention a ... ** Burp ** ... Tarpon Tournament ???

** Sniiiifff ** ** Hack ** ** Cough **

** ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz **

Yeah, the last few tarpon tournaments we held were so exciting that I had to go on mood-leveling medication. Then again, the cheating alone was worth the price of admission. Not to mention any names.......

I can't even remember names to mention, not to mention not mentioning any names not already mentioned.

Hard to beat good local intel for sure PJ. Certainly better than the alternative of donating blood to the marsh inhabitants year after year with little to show for it. Although I have noticed that the bugs don't find me quite as interesting as they once did. I think my wife and kids would agree with them.