Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  

Spruce...

I've fished the Matuka and caught Land Locks with those,usually towards fall.. Never the Spruce, though I've looked at it as a possible pattern several times. Those are both old patterns. The coloration of your Spruce might work in Maine in the spring in certain runs and pools where there can be some big brookies and average to big LLS..

Very nice flies. The spruce is such a handsome pattern. I have had some good luck with it for brookies as well. Duck mountains in the fall, the brooks can't resist that colour combo.

Very nice flies. The spruce is such a handsome pattern. I have had some good luck with it for brookies as well. Duck mountains in the fall, the brooks can't resist that colour combo.

Very nice work, and yes, those big Brooks need to watch out..

Fancied up version of the fly here but I really like the Spruce Fly with what I think is traditional Furnace hackle, reddish brown with the black center stripe but can't find a pic I took of one.

DSC01065_zps6azkcz1i.jpg

Here's some oldies...I still have what's left of the neck skin....the above hackles/skin is very young rooster these others were off old skin with bigger feathers.

4030BBBA-4F96-473C-9156-B23EDF44F320_zps

BTW the popper is huge!

D3EA2615-857D-46E6-A238-FA92427936C3_zps

I'm not sure about the origin of the name. The Spruce Fly was developed by the Godfrey brothers, Bert and Milo, around 1918 on the north Oregon coast. There are a lot of Sitka Spruce trees in the area. It's is an excellent Sea-run Cutthroat fly.