Fly Tying
GG34

Stacking deer hair

Can anyone recommend a video of stacking deer hair as opposed to spinning it? Thanks.

"Stacking" deer hair generally means to use a stacking tool to align the ends of the fibers before tying in. It's not a tying in procedure but part of prepping the fibers . What are you trying to tie so someone can direct you to an appropriate video ?

Stacking is tying in bunches of deer hair and flaring then without spinning them around the hook, allowing to get spots, stripes, and different parts of the body different colors. Somewhat harder than spinning deer hair Dave.

I'm sorry I don't know any videos but I'm sure someone here does. We have many deer hair wizards here. Best of luck.

Stacking is tying in bunches of deer hair and flaring then without spinning them around the hook, allowing to get spots, stripes, and different parts of the body different colors. Somewhat harder than spinning deer hair Dave.

I'm sorry I don't know any videos but I'm sure someone here does. We have many deer hair wizards here. Best of luck.

Didn't think of that, lol ! Thanks.

Can anyone recommend a video of stacking deer hair as opposed to spinning it? Thanks.

"Stacking" deer hair generally means to use a stacking tool to align the ends of the fibers before tying in. It's not a tying in procedure but part of prepping the fibers . What are you trying to tie so someone can direct you to an appropriate video ?

not really. Yes a "Hair Stacker" is a tool I use constantly, but the tool does not define the method of STACKING deer hair. Stacking is simply tying in and flaring bunches of deer hair without letting them spin around the hook shank.

I haven't looked up any videos, sorry, I've been doing it on my own for decades.

Any good techniques? I've only spun it bit would like to get some different colors and have the hair a little thicker.

I'm not talking about the stacking tool.:)

That video Bimini showed is good helped me out for sure, got me from ok to pretty decent at it, the little things matter.Jeff creamer is a member here on this site as well.

That video Bimini showed is good helped me out for sure, got me from ok to pretty decent at it, the little things matter.Jeff creamer is a member here on this site as well.

Same here! I watched all kinds of videos before seeing that one here on the forum on another thread. And yes, the little things matter.

Specifically,I can't get a good line between colors. Any techniques for keeping the hair in place and even?

Can't believe no one has mentioned Pat Cohen or his videos in response to this queation. He is, if not THE acknowledged master of stacking deer hair, certainly one of them. www.rusuperfly.com

I've watch the stacking videos (DVDs) by Chris Helm, Mike George and Pat Cohen and have learned quite a bit from each of them. If you are looking for technique the Cohen video, The Stacked Hair Diver, is first rate. This video covers tools, materials and techniques and can be purchased at several places including Pat's site RUSUPERFLY. If you get serious about stacking deer hair then you may want to pick up Pat's fugly packer and some choice belly hair and a few other goodies. Just looking at the flies on Pat's site will give you inspiration.

Specifically,I can't get a good line between colors. Any techniques for keeping the hair in place and even?

Practice the big thing is just making sure your clumps stay together when you snug them up

Will second the suggestion of Chris Helm's video - I learned to spin and stack hair from his videos years ago... Chris was a master at deer hair, and his knowledge endless, both what hair to use for various applications and techniques to use. While dated a bit they're filled with excellent info. Chris's videos are available on the Bennett -Watt website in the catalogue under "hooked on fly tying...." http://www.bennett-watt.com/

best-

Bobby V

I've watch the stacking videos (DVDs) by Chris Helm, Mike George and Pat Cohen and have learned quite a bit from each of them. If you are looking for technique the Cohen video, The Stacked Hair Diver, is first rate. This video covers tools, materials and techniques and can be purchased at several places including Pat's site RUSUPERFLY. If you get serious about stacking deer hair then you may want to pick up Pat's fugly packer and some choice belly hair and a few other goodies. Just looking at the flies on Pat's site will give you inspiration.

That.

I appreciate my video being shared, but for the best instruction, refer to Mr. Cohen. I have three of his DVDs, they are all excellent. I'd agree, if you're going to buy just one of his DVDs, the Stacked Deer Hair Diver is probably the best choice for technique. The right tools and materials will also help you avoid a lot of frustration. Quality hair, strong thread, and strong hooks that won't bend and buckle under pressure go a long ways.