Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
McFlyLures

EP Style Minnow Streamer Fly - Underwater Footage!

Enrico Puglisi is one of the most well known tiers in all of saltwater fly fishing. He invented the style of tying now known as EP, and also started the original line of synthetic fibers known as EP fiber. His "minnow" line of flies are popular because they have good movement in the water, and also are small, so a wide verity of fish will hit the bait. They also have lots of flash, so they are easy to be seen, and attract fish from a distance.

The problem is that his fibers are very expensive, and his flies are as well. As you can probably tell from watching my channel, I tend to be a bit thrifty when it comes to fly tying materials. I am always looking on Ebay for good deals, or tend to go with less expensive alternatives to fly tying materials. I found that "water silk" from The Fly Tiers Dungeon works really well for this small EP style minnow fly. In fact I like the fiber even better. This fly will work also in freshwater and can be tied in a number of color patterns. For the head dressing, I used another material also by Fly Tyers Dungeon called "starburst dubbing" which works much like EP's Flash material he uses. Try this out, I think you will love tying and fishing this fly for a number of inshore saltwater species, and also freshwater species like bass and pike.

Hook: Gamakatsu SS15 - size 2
Tail Flash: Cristal Flash - Bronze
Fiber: Water Silk - White and Pheasant Tail
Head Flash: Starburst Dubbing - Metallic Copper
Eyes: 3D eyes - 4mm, Gold
Eye adhesive: Fletch Tite
Head Cement: Solarez UV Resin - Bone Dry
Thread: Danville's Monofiliment Thread - Fine

Very nicely done! I dig the water silk too but haven't used it in a while. Now I feel like breaking it out again. I really like the flashy head, cool idea for EP style flies

Thanks man! I appreciate it. Yeah, the flash head is how EP makes their minnow flies I think. At least from what it looks like when I buy them. They use their proprietary $100/bag stuff though. HAHA Of course I'm exaggerating, but dang that stuff is expensive, also their fibers are as well. I think what $8/bag? Just too rich for my blood. $2.50/bag is much better to me. And the flash is also cheep, like $1/bag. Makes the materials for this fly only about $5 or so, maybe $6. Then you can tie like 30 of these suckers with it. Im cheep if you haven't noticed... HAHA

Nice fly and video. You can't beat the Dungeon for nice materials at a very reasonable price.

Where so you get the Fetch-Tite?

I bought Fletch tite online, I think ebay, or amazon. I think its for archery, like attaching the feathers onto the arrows. However it seems to work perfectly for fly tying. Keeps them on better then Gel form of super glue, and gives you a bit more time to work. Also the applicator is nice and thin, allows for a more precise application in my opinion. I think the Fletch tite is only like $6 or something.

I first met Enrico in the late 1970's when he visited and did demos to promote his products in the saltwater fly shops in CT.

He was from Long Island, NY and began selling his EP fibers which were sourced in bulk from NYC shops as synthetic doll hair or toy hair.

He did not invent a style of tying,,, the wing construction was well established with natural materials and a synthetic product called Fishhair, much coarser than the EP..

Enrico did a great amount of traveling and promotion for saltwater flies using his packaged material.

The translucent quality of the synthetic material did work well for smaller baitfish and sand eel patterns.

It fell out of favor quickly with the tangling problem.... He sourced better materials and it slowly became popular again.

Today we have many different synthetic materials for wings on flies and the EP continues to be in most saltwater fly shops.

Regards,

FK

Josh, thank you! I'm sure you will do fine. Plus even if somehow you can't get it, the materials are only $5-6 total, won't break the bank. Besides, I've seen your flies I think, you do a good job!

I'll have to see what Santa brings for Christmas before I go out and buy more material. Fiance might not be too happy if I buy something that Santa's delivering lol

I'll have to see what Santa brings for Christmas before I go out and buy more material. Fiance might not be too happy if I buy something that Santa's delivering lol

I hear ya.

Nice job McFly! I will definitely have to try that.

Please upload some pics here when you do, I'd love to see how yours come out.

Awesome, thanks for sharing! I have recently been tying up this style of fly for a saltwater trip I have coming up. I ordered some EP fibers (and 3D-fibers, and a couple of the other styles he has), and couldn't believe how expensive it was. A friend had told me about Fly Tyers Dungeon, and for the amount I spent at EP, I was able to get every color of Congo Hair, Water Silk, and Water Mix (all basically variations of EP fibers), and a bunch of flash, eyes, rubber legs and dubbing. Flies using EP and FTD products seem to come out no different. I've been enjoying making dubbing brushes out of the flash, rubber legs, and congo hair/water silk as well. Makes for some pretty cool crabs and mantis shrimps.

Awesome, thanks for sharing! I have recently been tying up this style of fly for a saltwater trip I have coming up. I ordered some EP fibers (and 3D-fibers, and a couple of the other styles he has), and couldn't believe how expensive it was. A friend had told me about Fly Tyers Dungeon, and for the amount I spent at EP, I was able to get every color of Congo Hair, Water Silk, and Water Mix (all basically variations of EP fibers), and a bunch of flash, eyes, rubber legs and dubbing. Flies using EP and FTD products seem to come out no different. I've been enjoying making dubbing brushes out of the flash, rubber legs, and congo hair/water silk as well. Makes for some pretty cool crabs and mantis shrimps.

Yeah, it's pretty cheep. But not like crappy Chinese stuff, it's good quality also. I like it. I just won't spend $8/bag for synthetic fiber, I guess I'm cheep... haha.