Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
vicrider

Amazing temperature drop

Having grown up in northern IL, lived 18 years in northern MN and 22 years in the Twin Cities, cold temps are nothing new to me, nor is the feeling of fronts moving in dropping or raising temperature, but never have I seen a drop like this. Yesterday at about this time we had southerly winds and I was out riding my new to me 4 wheel ATV in a long sleeve T shirt in 70 degrees temps. Not too long after dark the wind stopped, then slowly came around from the north and started building up. Right now it is 10 degrees the flag is shaking the pole and pulled flat facing south and the wife is using the remote start on her car to go anywhere.

Yeppers, that's a 60 degree temperature drop in less than 24 hours. I've seen temps below -40 and over 100 but I've never seen the temps make this much swing before. How about you guys when this nasty Polar Vortex air swept through your area?

Many years ago when I lived in Hannover, there was a temperature drop of 27 degrees. Between 12 noon and 5pm the temperature fell from 50 to 23 degrees. A record temp change for mainland Europe in any 24 hour period. It was quite a shock to the system. I recall watching a puddle freeze over as I stood waiting for a tram. I can only imagine how bad that is where you are.

The weather is getting screwed up, We haven't had a proper winter here for 4 years. Usually there are 3 major snowfalls to our winter. Last year we got a couple of light dustings, and none of the really cold temperatures we would normally get. Summers are also much later and much shorter.

Hoping you are able to stay safe through this, and it doesn't get too bad.

Cheers,

C.

Yep it's been a weird start to the winter here in Michigan as well. Not even 3 weeks ago we hit a record high of 73f one day (I actually had my AC on that night) then the very next day it was down to 30f, now we've already got about 14" of snow and been down to zero the past few nights. Odd start to the winter season.

Wow. 60 deg. Drop. That's crazy. It's been a toasty December here. I love my south Florida weather, but 40-60 would be nice for a few days. We did get down in the 40s one night this winter/ dry season. Only to be back to 75 the next day, then 85 the next. No real complaints here though, y'all can have the ice and snow. It's pretty to look at and visit, but I don't think I could live in it. Best wishes and safe travels to you all.

Here's our Christmas forecast.

post-59266-0-64926700-1482025569_thumb.png

caloosa bug, I could live with those temps real well, what I couldn't live with is your summer temps with the humidity. I kind of miss seasons but I don't miss the MN seasons we had up there. Here in OK where I'm at this should be about as cold as we see this winter I hope. In six retired here I saw -8 one night and when I went to hardware store next day everyone was buying stuff to fix their broken pipes with. Our house is fully insulated now and we tore off every bit of old board and there was no insulation, true of many houses here. Now it heats and cools easily despite temps near zero or over a hundred.

That's right, I forgot your in OK. I went to Lawton, ok one summer and it was 103. It was so dry, I don't think I even broke a sweat at the baseball camp I was at. It was strange.

It was terrible here, this morning ... only 58 degrees. Brrrrrr!

But it warmed up to near 80 degrees. Aaahhhh !!!

A 60 degree drop in temperature is my version of hell.

I have been disappointed in the last few years with the South Florida winters. Sure, lower humidity, but, with few exceptions here and there, the temperatures hang up there in the 80s, and that is freaking hot even for Florida.

I would love a month straight of 60 degree weather.

I went to Hawaii over Christmas one year. It was 80 degrees. Didn't feel like Christmas. I'll take a cold snowy night for the Christmas holiday anytime. All the other holidays I'll take 80.

I went to Hawaii over Christmas one year. It was 80 degrees. Didn't feel like Christmas. I'll take a cold snowy night for the Christmas holiday anytime. All the other holidays I'll take 80.

On the same wave-length with ya poopdeck. To me there's nothing better than a white Christmas :)

We've just had a runty snowfall ( ~ 6" ?) and tomorrow it will drop into a balmy -2 º F.

I was thinking of hitting the beach for a tan and some volley ball, but maybe next week ☺

Okay, so this morning I wake up to a dusting of snow and MINUS 3 DEGREES. Yep, 73 degree temp drop in 18 hours.

I don't know what record temp drops are or if they're even kept anywhere but somehow that just don't seem right. I'm told that the desert areas have big day to night drops but somehow I don't see them going into minus temps after an almost hot day (for time of year).

Correct my math so that's a 73 degree temp drop in 36 hours. Well that's not so bad.

"While the National Park Service claimed that the world record is a variation of 102 °F (from 46 °F to −56 °F) in Browning, Montana in 1916, the Montana Department of Environmental Quality claimed that Loma, Montana also had a variation of 102 °F (from −54 °F to 48 °F) in 1972."

It don't matter to me. ANYTHING below 70 F is cool ... Below 60 F is cold ... and below 40 F is freezing.

Once you get below 30 F ... it all feels the same to me ... just plain deadly.