Fly Tying
McFlyLures

I lost a monster trout. Such a frustrating day on the river.

A soft tip rod can make a big difference landing strong fish on light leaders and small hooks.

I have a very stiff fly rod and one with a very soft tip, both 5 wt. The stiff casts great, but I lose a lot more fish. Even with 5x and big hooks, a lot more trout come off during a long fight.

I think the soft tip just gives when the fish makes a fast change of direction or even a strong head shake. The stiff fly rod doesn't give as much, so the hook pulls out.

Yes indeed, you are reiterating something I said early on in the thread but that's fine because it can't be overstated that tip action means a real lot in midge fishing. I own one 5 wt I wouldn't go lighter than 5x with but a 6 wt that I will go to 6x and have done so for many years. I have an 8'6" Sage RPL 5 wt. that does 6x well though. But for a year or more now I've been threatening to build a 9 or even a 10ft 4 wt, with light tippet in mind specifically ( can't seem to land on just what blank I want for that).. Well 2017 season is up next so maybe then LOL !

A soft tip rod can make a big difference landing strong fish on light leaders and small hooks.

I have a very stiff fly rod and one with a very soft tip, both 5 wt. The stiff casts great, but I lose a lot more fish. Even with 5x and big hooks, a lot more trout come off during a long fight.

I think the soft tip just gives when the fish makes a fast change of direction or even a strong head shake. The stiff fly rod doesn't give as much, so the hook pulls out.

Yeah I agree with you.

Also, the tip on a smooth line leader connection is good. It is really hard to land a big fish with that much line past the tip. I'm pretty sure you would have netted that one, if you could have brought him a little closer.

All in all, you did fine. Everyone loses big fish on small flies.

BTW - loved the video, I don't think I've seen one with so much playing of fish.

Glad you liked the video, yeah I feel I would have landed him with less line past the tip also, I just couldn't get him close enough to reach out with the net. Thats why I commented on that my leader was too long. I was fishing with a loop for connection which doesn't allow for smooth connection to the leader and gets hung up on the guides.

I did put too much time on playing the fish, I just wasn't sure how to edit that. Probably left it too long, I put the entire fight on the video which probably was a bad thing. I was trying to portray that it was a long and tough fight, but maybe my next video will cut some of the boring fighting out. What do you think? I am always wanting to get other people's opinions on my vids because it helps me make better videos.

Thanks again man! :)

McFly, I gave some advise early on but neglected to say that I really enjoyed watching that video ! It's just I've done a lot of midge fishing and wanted to get the comments out is all. But the video was well done, thanks.

McFly, I gave some advise early on but neglected to say that I really enjoyed watching that video ! It's just I've done a lot of midge fishing and wanted to get the comments out is all. But the video was well done, thanks.

Advice is always appreciated when it comes from people like you that are giving helpful advice in a nice manner. Keep up the advice please!

Generally though j have a short attention span for those who give "advice" as back handed, where they aren't giving advice but more trying to say rude things or full critisizm (non constructive type). Your never that way, I always appreciate your comments and advice.

So, if I start making one of these type of fishing videos once a month, as like a fishing TV show, would you guys watch it? Was it interesting enough to watch? Suggestions are welcome. Like length of the video? Too short, long, exc... any suggestion welcome.

I guess I don't understand what the purpose of these videos is ?

The film quality is good, if you are posting them for fishing technique feedback then you need to be prepared to accept the observations without reacting negatively.

Your reaction to the comments about adjusting your hat etc., all valid observations, will not garnish you additional viewers.

If you are posting them to showcase your video filmmaking capability - then you are doing ok.

If you are trying to make a living from it thru your website then you need to be aware of the general sentiment towards comments such as snagging, they are not viewed positively and have nothing to do with your love of the outdoors in all its flavors.

If they are just for fun, that's cool to, just don't expect to attract a lot of regular viewers watching adjust your hat, checking your drag etc every time you go fishing - it was Hank Pattersonesque one time.

As I said before, I liked it. In part it was because it was different to your other videos. Once committed, I also liked it because you showed you can be humorously self deprecating. To me that is a huge trait in anybody (don't laugh at anyone if you can't laugh at yourself first). And, finally, because it was well made in general.

However, I am not likely to watch a lot of this type of videos. I normally watch tying tutorials for patterns or tecniques that interest me at the time. I am looking for practical instructions, so, unless the type of fishing included relates to mine, I look at fishing videos as entertainment and I quickly turn them off.

I don't seek out too many fishing videos. I did for a few days check out videos from the Truckee River area of Nev in case I ever get out that way again. I wanted to see the techniques used , equipment etc. Also fish size. Incidentally, they land/net some big fish out that way taking midges and such. But I don't expect to fly out west any time soon, especially with a $10,000 septic system repair coming up next month. Well anyway, if you keep the videos up I may check some out just because you are a member here and it's interesting to see what folks are up to sometimes. Non Committal mind you.

I guess I don't understand what the purpose of these videos is ?

The film quality is good, if you are posting them for fishing technique feedback then you need to be prepared to accept the observations without reacting negatively.

Your reaction to the comments about adjusting your hat etc., all valid observations, will not garnish you additional viewers.

If you are posting them to showcase your video filmmaking capability - then you are doing ok.

If you are trying to make a living from it thru your website then you need to be aware of the general sentiment towards comments such as snagging, they are not viewed positively and have nothing to do with your love of the outdoors in all its flavors.

If they are just for fun, that's cool to, just don't expect to attract a lot of regular viewers watching adjust your hat, checking your drag etc every time you go fishing - it was Hank Pattersonesque one time.

Your a funny guy... yes for fun... so maybe I won't get any views huh? Oh well, I had fun...

As I said before, I liked it. In part it was because it was different to your other videos. Once committed, I also liked it because you showed you can be humorously self deprecating. To me that is a huge trait in anybody (don't laugh at anyone if you can't laugh at yourself first). And, finally, because it was well made in general.

However, I am not likely to watch a lot of this type of videos. I normally watch tying tutorials for patterns or tecniques that interest me at the time. I am looking for practical instructions, so, unless the type of fishing included relates to mine, I look at fishing videos as entertainment and I quickly turn them off.

Well noted, thanks for the info

I don't seek out too many fishing videos. I did for a few days check out videos from the Truckee River area of Nev in case I ever get out that way again. I wanted to see the techniques used , equipment etc. Also fish size. Incidentally, they land/net some big fish out that way taking midges and such. But I don't expect to fly out west any time soon, especially with a $10,000 septic system repair coming up next month. Well anyway, if you keep the videos up I may check some out just because you are a member here and it's interesting to see what folks are up to sometimes. Non Committal mind you.

I never expect my viewers to be committed... lol. Just trying to get some info on how to improve the vodeos... so after asking, I'm realizing that I need more "instruction" on techniques at a specific river. However if I travel to other spots later on I cannot expect to be an expert ether and can't really give too much in the way of technique specifics. But I'll try to do some when I can. Thanks again! :)

In all honesty, I've never tied or fished flies as small as 28-32. However, if I did fish them, I would try to find a hook in this size range with the widest gap. On my home stream most of the anglers use flies 20-22. I did this before but I lost a lot of fish. I was talking to a local guide about losing a lot of fish and he suggested that I try a size 16 TMC 3769. It has the gap of a 16 with the length of a size 20 (2X long hook). He felt that large gap did not affect it effectiveness. Yet, it did improve his ability to land fish. Ever since then I tie almost all of my fly on this hook and have had great success with it. So I'm guessing that the same approach would apply to your situation. However, as small as these flies are, I don't really know how many hooks you have to choose from. In any case, this is just another thought.

In all honesty, I've never tied or fished flies as small as 28-32. However, if I did fish them, I would try to find a hook in this size range with the widest gap. On my home stream most of the anglers use flies 20-22. I did this before but I lost a lot of fish. I was talking to a local guide about losing a lot of fish and he suggested that I try a size 16 TMC 3769. It has the gap of a 16 with the length of a size 20 (2X long hook). He felt that large gap did not affect it effectiveness. Yet, it did improve his ability to land fish. Ever since then I tie almost all of my fly on this hook and have had great success with it. So I'm guessing that the same approach would apply to your situation. However, as small as these flies are, I don't really know how many hooks you have to choose from. In any case, this is just another thought.

At this stage of the game with using glasses and even magnifiers to tie, my personal limit is size 24. If I had to represent a 28 I just wouldn't tie so far back on the 24 hook. And I either got fish or I did not. I keep one iteration of size 24 hook in TMC and I'm not at my tying station presently to look up what it is. 32 is not on my radar. We have a pond where in the mid to later spring you can take a canoe and paddle out over rising fish that are rising on these little puff ball flies that look to be blue and white, the fish hog on them and the flies might be size 40 at best. No thanks, not even trying that one out.

BTW - loved the video, I don't think I've seen one with so much playing of fish.

I did put too much time on playing the fish, I just wasn't sure how to edit that. Probably left it too long, I put the entire fight on the video which probably was a bad thing. I was trying to portray that it was a long and tough fight, but maybe my next video will cut some of the boring fighting out. What do you think? I am always wanting to get other people's opinions on my vids because it helps me make better videos.

Thanks again man! smile.png

No leave all the fish fighting in. That's the unique point of the video.

Compared to all the other ff videos, there's not that much on playing fish.