Fly Tying
McFlyLures

I lost a monster trout. Such a frustrating day on the river.

A soft tip rod can make a big difference landing strong fish on light leaders and small hooks.

Yes indeed, you are reiterating something I said early on in the thread but that's fine because it can't be overstated that tip action means a real lot in midge fishing. I own one 5 wt I wouldn't go lighter than 5x with but a 6 wt that I will go to 6x and have done so for many years. I have an 8'6" Sage RPL 5 wt. that does 6x well though. But for a year or more now I've been threatening to build a 9 or even a 10ft 4 wt, with light tippet in mind specifically ( can't seem to land on just what blank I want for that).. Well 2017 season is up next so maybe then LOL !

Oops, should've mentioned your post. I read it and was backing up your important point - tip flex is key.

A soft tip rod can make a big difference landing strong fish on light leaders and small hooks.

Yes indeed, you are reiterating something I said early on in the thread but that's fine because it can't be overstated that tip action means a real lot in midge fishing. I own one 5 wt I wouldn't go lighter than 5x with but a 6 wt that I will go to 6x and have done so for many years. I have an 8'6" Sage RPL 5 wt. that does 6x well though. But for a year or more now I've been threatening to build a 9 or even a 10ft 4 wt, with light tippet in mind specifically ( can't seem to land on just what blank I want for that).. Well 2017 season is up next so maybe then LOL !

Oops, should've mentioned your post. I read it and was backing up your important point - tip flex is key.

Any suggestions for rods by either of you two? Generally with nymphing (before I moved here and had to go with tiny midges) I liked a more stiff rod, it made it easier to roll cast and put slack in the line. I like the idea of a stronger backbone, but just a light flexible tip. Rather then going with a super limp rod, like fiberglass. What do you think of the Sage Mod? Its a moderate action, not a fast action. Maybe fast action is good though just with a super flex tip. Anyway, let me know what your experience is with rods you have fished, and what you like the most.

Look at the Czech nymph rods in 10'. I nymph with a 10' 3wt. Greys XF2 Streamflex Plus (no longer sold in the US) for the past bunch of years and find it to have a very forgiving tip and a mid to lower section with quite a bit of backbone. On many occasions when nymphing I have run into a hatch of olives and have had no problem presenting a size 18 or 20 BWO by simply swapping out my nymph leader for a dry fly leader. You just need to slow down your cast stroke for the longer, slower rod.

There are many mid range nymph rods available from the likes of Cortland, Syndicate, Redington and Sage (Pulse) to name a few. Rods of this configuration will handle browns of 20+ inches on tippet down to 6x.

Look at the Czech nymph rods in 10'. I nymph with a 10' 3wt. Greys XF2 Streamflex Plus (no longer sold in the US) for the past bunch of years and find it to have a very forgiving tip and a mid to lower section with quite a bit of backbone. On many occasions when nymphing I have run into a hatch of olives and have had no problem presenting a size 18 or 20 BWO by simply swapping out my nymph leader for a dry fly leader. You just need to slow down your cast stroke for the longer, slower rod.

There are many mid range nymph rods available from the likes of Cortland, Syndicate, Redington and Sage (Pulse) to name a few. Rods of this configuration will handle browns of 20+ inches on tippet down to 6x.

Yeah, see that 10' 3 or 4wt sounds nice to me! More length is better for nymphing anyway. In fact, back when I lived in Northern CA we used to nymph with large nymphs, and I have a sage method 9.5' that I got for that, but its super stiff. Thats perfect for back there cause we were using 4x and even 3x tippet. Some good sized steelhead though! Now with these tiny hooks, I really need a much lighter action rod. Thank you for the recommendations! :)

I use a Syndicate P2 10' 3 wt. competition nymph rod with 4x or 5x tippet. It will land large trout easily and quickly. Less lost fish and fewer exhausted fish. I'm sure some of the other competition rods mentioned will do the same.

I use a Syndicate P2 10' 3 wt. competition nymph rod with 4x or 5x tippet. It will land large trout easily and quickly. Less lost fish and fewer exhausted fish. I'm sure some of the other competition rods mentioned will do the same.

Never heard of syndicate, is that a Europe brand?

When I use small nymphs and wet flies I like an old Sage LL 3wt. Sometimes I will use a Reddington RX2 3wt. Neither of these rods are no longer made but you may find them on Ebay.

When using midges I have an old bamboo that I found at an antique store and had refinished. You can feel this rod flex in the handle.

Syndicate Fly Fishing is headquartered in Tennessee, I believe. http://syndicateff.com/

At the price point, I don't believe you can buy a better rod. No breakage problems that some of the other rods mentioned suffer from.

I was told they are sourced from Korea or Taiwan but can't vouch for that.

Check out the TroutLegend website ...plenty of discussion about nymphing rods, Syndicate included

Syndicate Fly Fishing is headquartered in Tennessee, I believe. http://syndicateff.com/

At the price point, I don't believe you can buy a better rod.

I believe, if you look at http://www.midwestcustomflyrods.com ... you'll not only get a better rod for similar or less prices, but you'll get one in the colors you want.

At the price point, I don't believe you can buy a better rod. No breakage problems that some of the other rods mentioned suffer from.

I was told they are sourced from Korea or Taiwan but can't vouch for that.

Do you have trouble rolling over a nymph rig (indicator, split shot (sometimes 2) and 2 midges) with a 3wt? Is that enough for you guys? I have never fished something that light. Again, I mostly come from saltwater or warm water fishing. Ive been trout fishing for about 1-1.5 years only and have used nothing other then a 5wt.

If a 10', mid-flex, with a .340" diameter butt that weighs in at 3 ounces, with a lifetime warranty, for $300 or less, can be bought from there, I'd say go for it if you were looking for a nymph rod.

Cool thanks. So what the heck is the difference between competition rods and other rods from say sage, reddington, tfo, ecc?

I agree with Mike that Steve could probably whip you up a great 3-4 wt in 10ft that would serve your purpose, or recommend and hook you up with a blank that you can wrap yourself.

As to 1-2 split shot, that is illegal here but a bead head or weighted fly is not illegal. I have a 3-4 that handles those well, it's an old Cortland Graphite 1000 but it's a short mid action stream rod, not a 10 ft rod. I use a 4 wt line on it for short line fishing or a 3 wt for longer casts.it's been an awesome rod but I doubt it's available at all any longer never mind in a 10 ft length. I'm actually in my own search pattern for a 9-10ft 4 wt or 3-4 wt rod. Confused myself on a straight single handled rod or to go to a switch rod.