Fly Tying
McFlyLures

I lost a monster trout. Such a frustrating day on the river.

You just need to put in a lot more time on the water. Spend twice as much time fishing as you do tying flies and making videos. Then you won't be messing with your hat, looking at your rod, checking your drag, trying to find the reel knob, holding the rod with two hands, switch the rod from hand to hand, etc., etc. When you are familiar and comfortable with your equipment, you can focus on landing those fishing.

You mentioned that your leader was too long. That's not the problem. You either need a smoother transition knot/connection and/or know how to quickly get the knot/connection past your tip top guide. Also have in your mind exactly how close the fish or indicator or other reference point needs to be before you attempt to net the fish.

It just takes pactice to work out all the kinks. We have all gone through the same learning curve.

Something we do in Maine in faster water than you were in is walk the fish into the shallows and get them out of the main current. I've also gotten larger fish to take cover in the shadow of my body form up against my waders ( LLS are good for this), rather than try and net the fish I just slowly reach in with hemostats and release the fish, pluck the emerger out of its mouth and let the fish swim off naturally. It never was out of the water, greatly reducing that part of the stress on the fish.

Looking into the water you were fishing I bet you could have gotten away with 5x tippet. And 5x Climax is thin and gives about an extra lb of strength over some others. It would be possibly a 2lb gain over the 6x tippet you were using. It's down side is if it gets kinked up it's kinked up for ever, unlike Chameleon that I prefer. Chameleon is good too though, has good abrasion resistance and a bit more stretch than Fluorocarbon. Fluorocarbon is good till it gets a nick or scratch in it.

There was a guy next to me fishing 5x for a while... not sure the brand. He didn't hook one fish when I hooked 3. I let him borrow my 6x and then he caught.

I tried getting my big fish to the shallows once I missed a net, that's when I lost him.

You just need to put in a lot more time on the water. Spend twice as much time fishing as you do tying flies and making videos. Then you won't be messing with your hat, looking at your rod, checking your drag, trying to find the reel knob, holding the rod with two hands, switch the rod from hand to hand, etc., etc. When you are familiar and comfortable with your equipment, you can focus on landing those fishing.

You mentioned that your leader was too long. That's not the problem. You either need a smoother transition knot/connection and/or know how to quickly get the knot/connection past your tip top guide. Also have in your mind exactly how close the fish or indicator or other reference point needs to be before you attempt to net the fish.

It just takes pactice to work out all the kinks. We have all gone through the same learning curve.

Whatever man. Have a good day.

I always said when the time comes I can play a fish, a big fish, with calm and relaxed nerves and knowing every right move to make and when to make it like heavynets, I'll quit fishing. Though I caught my first fish when I was probably about 6 and that was 66 years ago, I still go through the stages of exhilaration, heart jumping, panic, and all the things that drive me out to the water to do it again. When I had the chance to fish for big fish and knew they were going to be big, setting the hook without moving the fish an inch was pure adrenaline rush and with that would come the occasional plane stupid mistake. Would love to fish that water but it's just too high up in the air for me these days.

And though I have never had the need to touch the fish (not for years) and often release with long nose pliers and never lift fish from water, it still hurts to do the professional release and never get to to say you actually caught the fish. Bummer.

Edit to add, Saltybum's got it made. I read and have seen on TV where you only have to touch the leader to call it a catch. Sure would make it easier to count coup.

I always said when the time comes I can play a fish, a big fish, with calm and relaxed nerves and knowing every right move to make and when to make it like heavynets, I'll quit fishing. Though I caught my first fish when I was probably about 6 and that was 66 years ago, I still go through the stages of exhilaration, heart jumping, panic, and all the things that drive me out to the water to do it again. When I had the chance to fish for big fish and knew they were going to be big, setting the hook without moving the fish an inch was pure adrenaline rush and with that would come the occasional plane stupid mistake. Would love to fish that water but it's just too high up in the air for me these days.

And though I have never had the need to touch the fish (not for years) and often release with long nose pliers and never lift fish from water, it still hurts to do the professional release and never get to to say you actually caught the fish. Bummer.

Edit to add, Saltybum's got it made. I read and have seen on TV where you only have to touch the leader to call it a catch. Sure would make it easier to count coup.

HAHA, I caught the fish then! I touched the leader with the net!

All joking aside, your right, you will never be perfect at fishing, and when you are it will become boring. I fish to enjoy, not for bragging rights. So while it was frustrating to loose 4 large fish (I realized it was actually 4 decent sized ones, with 2 being rather large) I still really enjoyed myself.

I will say, its much harder to concentrate on fishing when trying to video. Having to adjust my go-pro on my hat, remembering to turn on the camera, trying to get my self in the shot, trying to adjust my head so the go pro is videoing the fish. Even though they are small little things, they really do distract from actually fighting the fish. Not saying that was an excuse for loosing these guys though. But it was just one of "those" days, I think we all have had them. Luckily I have had plenty of great days on that river, catching a few fish over 20" (with the same setup and small midges) and plenty of 10-20 fish days. I think I landed 6 actually that day anyway, they were just small, not anything worth showing too many of them on camera. That streamer really attracts them.

Although more small bones to deal with. The smaller fish are usually tastier. Good luck. I lost a monster last year right at the net and was bummed too. Would have looked nice on the stringer!

There was a guy next to me fishing 5x for a while... not sure the brand. He didn't hook one fish when I hooked 3. I let him borrow my 6x and then he caught.

I tried getting my big fish to the shallows once I missed a net, that's when I lost him.

Well ya, sometimes they just are that fussy. But sometimes 3 guys can be fishing the exact same rigs and one guy gets all the fish too, been there done that ! Both things, been where it took 6x or even 7x to get fish, been on both the winning and losing end of three guys fishing with one catching all the fish. That's why they call it fishing .

Well ya, sometimes they just are that fussy. But sometimes 3 guys can be fishing the exact same rigs and one guy gets all the fish too, been there done that ! Both things, been where it took 6x or even 7x to get fish, been on both the winning and losing end of three guys fishing with one catching all the fish. That's why they call it fishing .

Yep, I've been in those situations on both sides also. The minute I constantly catch on every cast and have no trouble bringing them in is the day I will stop fishing. It will get boring at that point. The difficulty is what brings me, and pretty much all fishermen back to catch another.

Although more small bones to deal with. The smaller fish are usually tastier. Good luck. I lost a monster last year right at the net and was bummed too. Would have looked nice on the stringer!

Yeah the small ones do taste better, however it was what is called quality waters, so you can't keep the fish.. also, I generally don't keep even on rivers that allow you to because I don't need them. Sometimes I will keep 2 if my wife really wants some trout that day, but I get most of my fish from salmon snagging at the lake near by. Once a year the salmon come to spawn (and die), and you can go stock your freezer for the year in just 2-3 trips. I try not to keep many trout except for maybe once or twice a year.

Yeah the small ones do taste better, however it was what is called quality waters, so you can't keep the fish.. also, I generally don't keep even on rivers that allow you to because I don't need them. Sometimes I will keep 2 if my wife really wants some trout that day, but I get most of my fish from salmon snagging at the lake near by. Once a year the salmon come to spawn (and die), and you can go stock your freezer for the year in just 2-3 trips. I try not to keep many trout except for maybe once or twice a year.

I'm not sure if I was trying to promote a fly tying/ fly fishing website I'd be boasting about salmon snagging.

I've caught some of those dying Salmon years ago on the Snake River going after Steele head. However, it might be different with land locked Salmon, but I did not care for the quality of the fish. If I ever catch those types of Salmon again, I think I'd just make all of it into dip.

A soft tip rod can make a big difference landing strong fish on light leaders and small hooks.

I have a very stiff fly rod and one with a very soft tip, both 5 wt. The stiff casts great, but I lose a lot more fish. Even with 5x and big hooks, a lot more trout come off during a long fight.

I think the soft tip just gives when the fish makes a fast change of direction or even a strong head shake. The stiff fly rod doesn't give as much, so the hook pulls out.

I'm not sure if I was trying to promote a fly tying/ fly fishing website I'd be boasting about salmon snagging.

Not boasting... just saying I'd rather keep dieing salmon then living trout. I am not ashamed that I like all types of out door activities. Fishing (both conventional and fly) hunting, camping, hiking... not ashamed, sorry if that bothers you. I figure I would be fully open with my viewers, instead of not tell them about certain things. If you don't like it, don't watch.

A soft tip rod can make a big difference landing strong fish on light leaders and small hooks.

I have a very stiff fly rod and one with a very soft tip, both 5 wt. The stiff casts great, but I lose a lot more fish. Even with 5x and big hooks, a lot more trout come off during a long fight.

I think the soft tip just gives when the fish makes a fast change of direction or even a strong head shake. The stiff fly rod doesn't give as much, so the hook pulls out.

Yeah I agree with you.

Yeah I agree with you.

Also, the tip on a smooth line leader connection is good. It is really hard to land a big fish with that much line past the tip. I'm pretty sure you would have netted that one, if you could have brought him a little closer.

All in all, you did fine. Everyone loses big fish on small flies.

BTW - loved the video, I don't think I've seen one with so much playing of fish.