Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Fisherboy0301

Asking about a shotgun...

Does anyone here have any info on the Remington 887 nitro mag? Looking for an affordable 12ga that I can change chokes in as mine is fixed modified choke. (Not good for turkeys at all.) I like the idea of 2 3/4-3 1/2 inch shells, and interchangeable choke tubes. It's only $380 at my nearest bass pro, and I'm considering it. Anyone have one? Like it, dislike it? If so why?

Culture is so much different in a 10 hour drive.

My parents freak out if I'm watching movie with guns. For example, my cousin (14) got an airsoft gun from his parents, down here frowned upon, up north, encouraged. Spending time in NC, I quickly realized that most people "carry" as you like to say. Now I understand that if you are not "carrying" in a place where everyone does you may feel at risk. I get that, maybe not agree, but understand...

I'm just saying how cool it is to see how different people's way of life changes in that 10 hour drive.

Amazing, at least to me :)

I have had the 835 with the extra deer slug barrel for several yrs and have had no issues at all with it.Kicks like a mule but a great shotgun.

I have never owned or fired the 877 but have heard both good and bad about them.Most bad had to do with the looks of the gun and not the performance.I have 2 870's and love both them.

I know they had a recall on the 877 a few yrs back.Something to do with the firing pin.

Thanks for the recommendations Jay and Steve, I'll look into the 835. My second choice was going to be the 870. I know I like it, my stepdad hunts with one. They're tried and true.

Flats, wow that's very surprising. I'm actually from central Florida myself and I've been shooting since I was big enough to hold the gun up. Took my first deer after I moved up here at 13.

The highschools around where I lived in FL, during hunting season there wasn't a truck in the parking lot without a rifle and a shotgun hanging in the back glass. And usually more in the floorboard. Everyone carried there, and in GA you can open carry without a permit. Have to have the permit to concealed carry though. Doesn't scare me, makes me feel much much safer.

Maybe I can teach you about shooting, and you can show me some things about saltwater flyfishing. :D

Does anyone here have any info on the Remington 887 nitro mag? Looking for an affordable 12ga that I can change chokes in as mine is fixed modified choke. (Not good for turkeys at all.) I like the idea of 2 3/4-3 1/2 inch shells, and interchangeable choke tubes. It's only $380 at my nearest bass pro, and I'm considering it. Anyone have one? Like it, dislike it? If so why?

First question to ask is, what are you going to use it for, and what do you think you'd use it for down the line?

My first shotgun, I wanted a turkey gun, looked at the 870 and Nova. Ended up with a 11-87 SPS-T, a Hastings slug barrel, and a waterfowl barrel. It was far cheaper than buying three guns down the road and it's pretty good at what it does.

I have had the opportunity to play with an 870, and played with a Benelli Nova. Just my personal preference I liked the Nova because it fit me much better and had a great deal less felt recoil. The 870 was at a skeet range as was the Nova, however I did use the Nova in the field with 3 1/2" goose loads. I also felt the Nova had a more solid feel than the 870.

I have not seen or had an opportunity to fire an 877 yet. I'm sure you have been looking a the reviews, what are the write ups so far?

Good luck with you decision. I'm sure your new gun will kill well and last you for many years to come.

Michael

It would be an all purpose gun, buckshot at deer, turkey loads at gobblers, birdshot at dove and small game. Looking for something more versatile than my winchester model 120. It has a built in Mod. And I can't find anywhere that sells barrels for it.

The reviews are mixed. I'm seeing that it doesn't fare well being babied. Which is good cause I'm hell on a shotgun. It seems it's a rugged "ugly" gun but I like it's looks. Some complained on jams but others said you have to find the way to pump it that works for you and it'll rarely jam.

The recall a couple years back was cause the firing pin would stay out and set off the shell when you chambered a live one, and they've since changed the manufacturing process to prevent that from what I understand.

After a look at bps, I think I'm going with the 870 express super mag instead. I know I like 870 as I've shot my stepdads quite a bit. And it's the same price and same versatility.

Can't go wrong with an 870. I bought mine almost 40 years ago. It's never been replaced nor have I ever thought of replacing or upgrading it. It's about as reliable as any gun can be and I have never had a single problem with it. Great thing about an 870 is every possible part, add on or upgrade that you can think of is out there for an 870.

Flats,

I hear yea about the culture. My wife is from Philadelphia, I grew up in a rural community in West /Central Ohio, some call it Southwestern Ohio. My wife and her family can't see why anyone would want a firearm. Where I grew up boys got a 22 rifle for there 10th birthday.

But you don't need to go 10 hours. I live in Lafayette Indiana and work in Indianapolis, an hour away. I know folks in Lafayette with carry permits but not that many. At work I'm the one in the minority. Everyone I work with has a carry permit. Even the mother of 2 in the quality department has a .45 cal. Glock she shoots once a week at the range.

The difference is huge just 1 hour down the road.

You will like the super mag.Great turkey shooter.

You can get a primos tight wad turkey choke for under $20.00.Great choke and shoots everything but steel.